• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What are the biggest challenges you face in managing a car dealership?

Mariela Pacheco

Green Pea
Jul 18, 2023
First Name
Mariela
Hello group, glad to be here among other dealership professionals. I have worked in the car industry for as long as I can remember, and now I'm being given the opportunity to open up a new location. I have a question regarding this important move for me.

I would love to read your input.

Thank you!

We used to have problems with inventory and sales analysis. The Autoxloo DMS helped us solve these issues, so now we can focus on customer service and business growth.
That is a seriously unhelpful response - it sounds like spam. Can you give some specific examples, as a car dealer, that would help other car dealers? "Go take a demo of that DMS" (barely anyone knows) is not helpful either.

Reactions: Todd Thompson

Establishing the culture you want. Knowing how you want your employees to treat your customers comes down to culture. A lot of it starts with how you hire. Hiring the wrong leader (sometimes someone with a long resume) can thwart what you're trying to do. So, knowing what you want is the first major step in opening a new business.

Reactions: Karen Ann
Human Resource Management (HR)…Written Job Descriptions, Written compensation plans, Semi annual performance appraisals for all employees, wages, employee handbook, benefits…Also Playbooks for all processes in variable and fixed operations….Its a people business and if you do not start with the rIght foundation your house will not stand. Hope this helps!

Congratulations on the exciting opportunity to open a new dealership location! Managing a car dealership comes with its unique set of challenges.

Inventory management is often a key concern, ensuring a well-balanced stock that meets customer demand. Effective sales team management, including training and motivation, is crucial for sustained success. Navigating the dynamic landscape of marketing and staying ahead in the digital realm poses ongoing challenges.

Additionally, maintaining excellent customer service amid high expectations is paramount. Regulatory compliance, staying updated on industry trends, and adapting to technological advancements are continuous challenges.

A comprehensive DMS optimizes car dealership operations by streamlining inventory management, enhancing the sales process with robust lead management, ensuring superior customer service, and facilitating seamless integration for order management and delivery planning. This all-in-one solution drives efficiency, productivity, and customer satisfaction, addressing key challenges in dealership management.

A comprehensive DMS is key to streamlining operations, enhancing sales processes, and ensuring superior customer service. This all-in-one solution addresses challenges, driving efficiency, productivity, and customer satisfaction, contributing to the overall success of your new location. Best of luck in your venture!

Managing a car dealership has been quite the journey, and it's taught me a lot about the industry's challenges. One of the biggest hurdles I've faced is finding the right balance in our vehicle inventory. It's a constant juggling act to ensure we have enough of the popular models while minimizing costs and depreciation.

Another challenge has been maintaining consistent sales performance and top-notch customer service. Every customer interaction is an opportunity to build trust and loyalty, but it takes a dedicated team and a lot of effort to keep standards high. In such a competitive market, it's essential to stand out. We're always looking for ways to differentiate ourselves, whether through pricing strategies or unique services.Staying on top of regulatory compliance has also been a significant challenge. The rules and regulations governing the automotive industry are complex and ever-changing, requiring constant vigilance to ensure we're operating legally and ethically.

Recruiting and retaining qualified staff has been another struggle. Finding people who are passionate about cars and customer service can be tough, but it's essential for the dealership's success.

Lastly, integrating technology into our operations has been both a blessing and a curse. While it's helped streamline many processes, ensuring data security has been a constant concern. Overall, managing a car dealership has been a rewarding experience, but it definitely comes with its fair share of challenges.

Hey there, fellow dealership professionals! It's great to connect with others in the industry who share the same passion for cars and sales. First off, congratulations on the exciting opportunity to open a new location. That's a huge milestone in your career!

Now, onto your question about the biggest challenges in managing a car dealership. Well, where do I start? There are certainly a few hurdles we all face in this line of work.

One of the top challenges for me has always been managing inventory effectively. Ensuring we have the right mix of vehicles on the lot to meet customer demand while also keeping an eye on aging inventory can be quite the balancing act.

Then there's the ever-evolving landscape of customer expectations. With the rise of online research and shopping, customers are more informed and demanding than ever before. Keeping up with their expectations for transparency, convenience, and personalized service can be a real challenge.

Of course, there's also the issue of competition. Whether it's from other dealerships in the area or online car-buying platforms, staying ahead of the competition and finding ways to differentiate ourselves is a constant battle.

And let's not forget about the importance of team management. Building and motivating a high-performing team, from sales staff to service technicians, is essential for success. But it can also be a challenge to find and retain top talent in this competitive industry. I personally had trouble within the BDC team, but thanks to Virtual BDC, there automotive BDC is what every dealership can look up to & save cost.

Overall, managing a car dealership is definitely not for the faint of heart. But with determination, strategic thinking, and a passion for cars, we can overcome these challenges and drive our businesses to success. Thanks for posing the question, and I'm looking forward to hearing other perspectives from the group!

It’s obvious that you have something unique about your ability to manage that put this opportunity in front of you. I’m not sure you’re looking for inventory mix solutions or a DMS that will help you succeed. It sounds like you have to get that store up and running before you understand its challenges. Anyone that “manages” a store can continually find challenges in really any area.

Right now mine is with salespeople not grasping the idea of following up with their sold customers again. They’ve spent about 2-3 yrs order taking and selling a ton of vehicles ignoring building their business. I’ve never let up preaching this but they seemed to have evolved into entitled monsters. My green pea started on the floor midway through 2019, less then a year in we closed for a month and half, reopened and he was killing it up until fall of 2023. Even my seasoned vets are struggling with this. My solution was to hire a vendor to serve up their sold customers based on buying prediction score. Jury is out on its utilization as we are 3 weeks in and formal training was just last week.

Anyways, congrats and maybe share the challenges you’re facing after you open.