• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Defines A Successful Automotive Social Media Strategy

After doing SM for quite a few dealers for a while, here are my 2 cents:

Very-very hard to monetize (so we shouldn't do it), however very-very in with society (so we should do it).

Therefore:

I have recomended my dealers to have a presence that allows them to reach out, control negative feedback, and project a positive and modern look of the business. All that for around $300 a month range (not including rep management--different beast).

Less than $300 is too little, more than $300 I haven't seen a ROI.

Reactions: 1 person
@yagoparamo As someone who's done SM for quite a few dealers I'd love your opinion on

A) SM doesn't have ROI if you're not in it 100%, especially if you farm it out.
B)SM doesn't convert because businesses need to first build a loyal following by providing value before trying to convert

Let me know what you think. (And others as well of course)

I agree with you BUT; everyone has to farm it out since the owner himself--at most dealers--cant do it. So whether is an employee or a vendor we are in a very similar boat.

I have seen many dealers that hire a 'smart kid' and after a month he is writting about how bored he is alone in his office at the dealer. BTY-breaking news for dealers; Social media is boring as hell (compared with TV, radio, etc). In genertal and perhaps due to lack of knowledge and budget, you don't have much to pull from.

So in the end since it is not easy to get the dealer involved plus I don't recomend the dealer to get involved (pay more attention to what Pash says about SEO, do Craigs List, etc--that will make you money) I always revert to what I said before: spend little and control what happens.

About building loyal customers, etc. I think that we will see rare cases were a dealership has the right people with the right qualities and they will build something special like: "WRX FB Association of Chicago" where a Subaru dealer puts resources into that, helps the smaller clubs coordinate, helps them with events, sponsors monthly gatherings by paying for the food, etc--that will get a follwing.

Other than that, I think it will be hard for small businesses--not just car dealers--to be able to build enough need+interest to get a significant number of followers.

SM doesnt work for dealers because Social Media does not work when it's fake.

Dealer needs to create SM content:
--Hire it out = SM Bandaid
--Hire Smart Kid = SM Bandaid
--Brilliant Dealer Leader = SM is a natural extension of daily biz.

For our space, SM success needs a fresh story and a great vision from the leader and that re-freshing energy cascades down into every nook and cranny. Even the guys in clean up get it.

Too many dealer/managers "think" they are special, when it's just the same ol thing under a different roof. In other words, if your owner/manager is not a wild eyed crazy man hell bent on re-inventing the entire business model...

SM = Low ROI.

p.s. This is why I knew Social Media for dealers would be a FAIL all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If you cannot do it yourself, frankly, don't do it at all. If you are on the fence, or cannot see the value in investing time and resources into social media, then set up a reminder in your smart phone in six months to ask yourself whether you can see value now?

Outside consultants to come in and show you best practices, and the mechanics of management is a good thing. For everyday management, don't waste your money.

Joe, you always have a way of hitting the nail on the head and I completely agree about the extension of daily biz and it needing to be a part of the vision.

I like to think I'm a little wild eyed and I see a mountain of ROI in SM, we just haven't taken it to the tipping point yet. I'm partly delusional and partly stubborn on this but I truly believe if we make the shifts and dump in more resources that the tipping point from no to low to slow ROI will tip to high ROI and is an un-tapped lead source sitting there for anyone willing to do the work it takes. Is there better areas to improve and focus on before we go hawg wild... sure.

Put a little more pointed and in my own words to ruffle some feathers: SM doesn't work for dealers because we're shitty leaders.

...I like to think I'm a little wild eyed and I see a mountain of ROI in SM, we just haven't taken it to the tipping point yet. I'm partly delusional and partly stubborn on this but I truly believe if we make the shifts and dump in more resources that the tipping point from no to low to slow ROI will tip to high ROI and is an un-tapped lead source sitting there for anyone willing to do the work it takes...

Mitch,

I've seen that wild sparkle in your eye, YOU my friend, have the "secret sauce" to conquer this new space. Now... if you could just bottle it... ;-)