• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Defines A Successful Automotive Social Media Strategy

I get over 200 customers a month that get to my website through my Facebook page. It can be a great tool if combined with a strong branding campaign. Facebook is the CRM of the future. Everyone and everything about them is on Facebook, and they just love to share. If you can harness a local community of friends you have a great free advertising medium. It's not easy, but when done right is better than word of mouth. DeNooyer Chevrolet | Facebook and I don't pay a dime for it. Now thats ROI

Joshua,

Nice work on FB. I know it's not easy. You have to commit to it and work it.

For a looong time, I've said "FB ain't free, it takes time and effort to work it AND I hope my competitors like FaceBook, because it'll take their eye off the ball".

Here is what I mean:

Your 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ: 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ Sport Utility 4D Used Car Details DeNooyer Chevrolet Albany Used Car Superstore, We Sell and service new Chevrolet's

It's a $46,000 used SUV. A customer is shopping you, finds the price and miles acceptable, but, he's upset that it DOES NOT have these options:

• Power adjustable pedals?
  • 3rd Row Seating?
  • tri-zone automatic climate control?
  • Rear a/c & heat?
  • Remote vehicle start?
  • XM Radio satellite radio?
  • 3rd Row Seating dvd player screen?
  • Ultrasonic rear parking assist?
  • Rearview Camera system?
  • Bose centerpoint surround sound 10 speaker audio system?
  • Bluetooth?
  • Steering wheel controls for Radio/Cruise?
  • Rear seat audio controls?
  • autotrac 4x4?
  • Assist steps?
  • Power rear liftgate?
  • Heated Power Mirrors?
I can keep going...

• Seating capacity-?
  • stabilitrak stability & traction control?
  • Front seats heated & cooled?
  • Hd trailer towing pkg?
  • Alloy wheels? If so, how big?
Dood, Your team don't even mention that it has ONSTAR!

Don't assume that folks know what is Std on the LTZ, hell, there are so many features & options, most chevy reps would forget some too!

Advertising rule #1: If it's not listed, then it's not there

Reactions: 1 person
If you can convince everyone in your market to buy a car from you, that's great too. It's not as easily done than said to tap in and harness the sharing power of Facebook.

When people click over from FB, what activity do they generally do? Are these new prospects, or repeat visitors?

Did somebody say, MB Motorsports?

Here's my take.

Do people go to facebook to find their next car? No.
Are people going to follow you because of your specials on Facebook? a few maybee, most won't care
Do people socialize and ask their friends for advice on Facebook? Yes.

True story, I sat down with one of our salesman trying to show him how to use facebook. We logged on and searched -mb motorsports - posts by everyone. What came up? A local woman who's status said - Anyone know a local used car dealer that won't rip me off? Her status had 2 comments by friends of hers. 1st - you have to go to mb motorsports in tinton falls, they are awesome. 2nd - OMG, I just bought a car from them and they were great! My salesguy turns to me and says "that lady bought a car from me yesterday". The lady who asked advice of her friends.

Facebook is a tool to brand your dealership. You got your previous customers, future customers, local business that support you - all listening to what your saying on FB. Engage them, Become their FRIENDS. That's what it's all about. They don't want to hear about your lease special. I don't believe in using FB to sell. I've never advertised that we sell car detail gift certificates on FB. But this holiday season we were approached by our fans and we sold some . All because they remembered us from our free detail contest's. That's how I know it works. Sales come organically from FB. Build up the biggest local following you can and you'll sell some cars off of it, and don't spend too much time doing it.

Jesse,

I always look to your FB for best practices. How's it going? Any new trends? Any updates on the ROI? Thoughts?

I get over 200 customers a month that get to my website through my Facebook page. It can be a great tool if combined with a strong branding campaign. Facebook is the CRM of the future. Everyone and everything about them is on Facebook, and they just love to share. If you can harness a local community of friends you have a great free advertising medium. It's not easy, but when done right is better than word of mouth. http://www.facebook.com/JoelDeNooyer and I don't pay a dime for it. Now thats ROI

In automotive sales this essentially the purpose of Facebook to up rankings of your website and promote a business image. If anyone told you other wise they're wrong.

If you're looking for direct conversions nothing beats good visuals, they're obviously time consuming but videos also last a lifetime;

Porsche Connection in Beverly Hills - YouTube

In automotive sales this essentially the purpose of Facebook to up rankings of your website and promote a business image. If anyone told you other wise they're wrong.

If you're looking for direct conversions nothing beats good visuals, they're obviously time consuming but videos also last a lifetime;

Porsche Connection in Beverly Hills - YouTube

Mayhem, I disagree! Traffic is great... but it really isn't that measurable after they reach the website.

The BEST part of Social Media in my experience is to enhance the consumer experience (promoting the image as you say). I feel if done correctly, you will see measurable results from the Facebook CONVERSATIONS. I tell my team that the purpose of Social media is to create conversations. I'm a firm believer that the goal Social Media is to bring back community and conversation with your customers. It's simple branding. Multimillion dollar commercials are done simply to stay on the top of the customers' minds so that when they're ready they choose you.

We're coming back to a time where the consumer's experience matters. It didn't matter as much for awhile there, as the country was more interested in pushing their brands and their products over the competition. But in an age where a consumer review can break you, we're putting them first again and what better way to "humanize the business", involve the community, brand yourself within your community, and create a steady volley of communication within that community than social media? Marketing 101 infused with today's world. And believe me ... I have seen more people come in off of Facebook (and admit it ) than most other sources. Its all about doing it correctly long enough to see the results.

I relate social media to a booty call. It has very little to do with "like" and "friends" and more about "use". Facebook and other social media sites have authority. You can use them to dominate organic search.
We have a Chevy store and when you type New Silverado and the city, we have the first two slots and all but two of the remaining. There is a restaurant named Silverado that takes number four. It drives a lot of traffic to their website. We only use very positive content, (some video testimonials and walk-arounds) so it helps the image and branding.
This is a new client and we were given it because it had the least website traffic out of the 14 stores in the group. In the first month, that store, which isn't in a major market, has more traffic and more unique visitors than any store in the group. Two of them are in metro markets. This drove more traffic than their small SEM/PPC campaign, AutoTrader and Cars combined.

I'm still not getting warm and fuzzy over social media and I still think that it is an ROI disaster but I have found a "use" for it that gives positive results and actually sells cars.

Brian,

Just whom are these dealers that claim otherwize? And, what is the quality of their claims? Do they fall prey to anecdotal evidence rather than tangible? Are their claims led by "feelings" or evidence?

If you find ANY evidence of ROI, please wake me out of my FB coma.

This FB thread is almost 3 yrs old. I took a strong "It's all fairy dust in FB land" stand, got flamed by the unicorn riding social gurus and (thankfully ;-) I was right. In this tread has some of my best analytical work on DR... ever.

I'm back here to tell y'all, way out in the distance, I am seeing a techtonic plate shift in our digital world that's subtly going on under our feet, the result of this maps back to FB ROI (albeit indirect ROI).

IMO, you're going to want to read JD's 4 part series, book mark it and dial it into your long term planning
As The Dust Settles From The Social Media Whirlwind, Car-Selling Strategies Emerge