• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Defines A Successful Automotive Social Media Strategy

Is why it took so long for people to realize the world is flat. Some people have opinions and refuse to look further.

I like to keep my mind open...

All good.

It's not JUST opinions to these guys ... No one has seen or heard of solid success from social media efforts.

You've got 2 followers on Twitter and Facebook -- that should say a lot about how dealers have adopted social media, since your client base are dealers.

Everyone STOP for just one second.

Look at how AMAZING the quality, passion and depth of this thread is. This is COMMUNITY LEARNING at its best AND its why this site is ranked #1 in our space!!

This thread is a treasure. A time capsule. It perfectly captures the what to do with the new SM monster. A must revisit in 2012.

Thank You to Jeff K and Alex S!

DealerRefresh
-The Whole Thing is Real.

It's not JUST opinions to these guys ... No one has seen or heard of solid success from social media efforts.

You've got 2 followers on Twitter and Facebook -- that should say a lot about how dealers have adopted social media, since your client base are dealers.

Correct, they haven't adopted it due to costs etc.

I do think the over 200 dealers we have on the current system are happy as they ONLY pay for results. No "per month" games or "It takes time to get ramped up"

Bottom line, phone don't ring, we don't get paid. for this reason, I feel that without the social media, would would be in a different business model.

Happy New Year!

And agree, great thread.

There is a lot of great information in here already, and being that it was 10 pages long I thought for sure, somewhere hidden amongst the clever ideas and secret tips, I would have heard Joe's mumblings of a new resolution for 2011 that involved social media as his number 1 marketing tool and the rest of the post was a victory for everyone that's been instrumental in Joe's evolution.

Ok, backing up to the reality that Joe is far from being "reborn" as a social media fairy waving his magic wand over the heads of those who doubt unicorns do exist.

What defines social media?

Conversation.

What defines an automotive social media strategy?

A conversation about cars.

What defines success?

More cars sold? - hold that thought.

Consider these questions, just answer yes or no.

1. Can your business be successful without ANY word of mouth business?

2. Can your business be successful without ANY advertising, marketing or promotion?

3. Would you be considered having a success if you made the same amount of revenue at your dealership as you made in 1987?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then you do not need a website, SEO, social media, or anything other than a building in which people will come and buy your stuff. Just keep on doing what you're doing.

Now since it's unlikely that you've answered yes to any of those questions, lets consider the ones you answered no to.

If you answered No to #1 then you must rely on it to some extent (actually this should be a known percentage you can rattle off because its likely more than 20-30%).

What if you knew that for every 100 people that referred you business, 20 of them bought cars. Out of that 20, because they were referred and obviously rely on that type of decision making and offer it to others they know, lets say 5 of them are likely to refer others to you.

Now, take those 5 and think about who you'd most want them to be. How about one's a lawyer, ones a school teacher, ones a hairdresser, one works at Google, one works at Macy's.

Actually, one of them has a blog, quite a popular blog actually. Turns out when they refer people, they aren't talking one-on-one, they speaking to thousands who read their blog. Thousands of like minded people, with similar interests, who share the same tastes, like the same food, go to the same movies, etc........

Would it be a wise idea to perhaps learn a little more about what appeals to the person who bought the car the most and create a page or two of content on that subject?

So now, instead of having a cookie cutter site, you have pages of content that were developed for a particular audience, one that is very likely to buy because of the blog that regularly influences them.

Now, sure sounds easy, but here's the hard part. How to actually get the results you want. Well, I'm going to assume you've never measured your site in this way before so it may take awhile to grasp what people are looking for but once you do imagine creating products based on demand, because people have actually asked for it.

This is why advertising and social media currently clash. People are being "advertised to" - here.... buy this product!

That will change because why would you want to "try and sell something that you are NOT 100% sure your customers want".

Ford and Mercedes (others I'm sure now too) have Pandora streaming, not because they wanted to offer something that was free, but because it was a feature that customers WANTED. Ford is even developing an Open API - think Apple's App Store for your car.

If you keep in mind the things that people want, you'll no longer have to sell, all you'll have to do is give enough reassurance that they'll have a great experience (through blogging) and one that they'll be dying to share (you made them feel important) and one that they've been waiting all their lives for (to fall in love with the perfect vehicle that has everything as if it were manufactured and engineered for them personally).

Most dealers seem to want to pass this off on manufacturers to worry about, but in my opinion it's the actual dealership where the experience occurs so making it an extraordinary experience will likely be years ahead of the competition.

So if you're looking for an ROI on social media, think about whether the above makes sense and if not then I'd suggest reading some books like

"The Referral Engine" by John Jantsch John Jantsch | The Referral Engine

"Made to Stick" Made To Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die | by Chip and Dan Heath ::

And a great one on SEO by Vanessa Fox Nine by Fox blog: words from Vanessa Fox - Nine By Blue

Read SEO blogs like Internet Marketing Blog | SEO Blog | Outspoken Media - (side note, you'll be surprised at who comments on this one)

In Vanessa's book, there are some great lines like "before diving into search data, you should clearly define your business goals."

"What is the primary goal of the business?"
- To get potential buyers into the dealership perhaps -

If the above was to "sell cars" then you might be missing the most lucrative spot in the buying cycle because the fact that most people don't "like" going to the dealership, they're only going once they've made up their minds on exactly what they want and have done all the pricing and research and have come in to grind away on price, and could care less if they get treated well because they just want the car at the price they have in mind.

If you know your closing rate for people who step foot into the dealership, then having more people come to the dealership would be considered a good business objective.

The most powerful and engaging content on Facebook is photos, specifically photos that you've been tagged in get nearly a 100% CTR from emails so think about that when you're deciding about whether or not to have a "clinic" at your dealership where pics are then shared on facebook.

The reason that most discredit or doubt social media is that it's very hard and takes a long time to become important enough for even one out of 1000 visitors to leave a comment. This is because so many blogs and other sites are setup by content scrapers, ie. nobody cares or hears the comment that someone took the time to write, so why bother.

On the other hand, what if you're service department was on Twitter, and the minute any one of their customers so much as gets a check engine light, they are instructed to tweet it and the dealer responds with some great info to set their mind at ease if it's no big deal, or with three available appt times based on the customers preference on scheduling such visits. (if all it takes is a simple warning light to get people into the dealership, well what are you waiting for, get this out there and let people from the competitors dealership get free oil changes when they come in for service)

Last edited:
Brian, as usual, I think you just hit the preverbal nail on the head…how do we define success?
And I think this is a great place to start, if you don’t define success…how do you know you accomplished anything? Once defined, how do you then measure your success, and what “yard stick” is best to accurately chart your success. You don’t want to define in inches and track in centimeters…you won’t get the proper bearings for your path.

That said, there is so much emphasis on leads, visitors, LTV as the industry standards of measurement. Problem is, different on-line media generate much different results, thus just measuring an on-line campaign or presence by number of leads generated or uniques to the website, is using the wrong yard stick to measure success in many cases…take Social Media.

In watching the behavior of more than 1.5 million auto shoppers we are currently tracking, of those 1.5 million, we only saw a direct correlation to leads and vehicle searches in 11922 shoppers…that’s less than one percent. And of those 11922 direct shoppers, a total of 6 leads were generated. Facebook was the overwhelming leader among these 11922 with Ning being a distant second.

Now is this saying Social Media has yet to “prove itself” in on-line auto-sales? Certainly not, in this scenario, we are measuring Social Media with the wrong device, and we should not define success in Social Media in terms of direct leads and vehicles hits
These numbers are based on shoppers clicking directly to a dealer sites from a Social Media path and committing to a vehicle search. Social Media seems to be much higher in the sales funnel in the “create awareness” and “build value prop” stages. Thus, we should use Social Media for those purposes, and measure accordingly.

Example, use Social Media as the “Face” of the dealership on-line…your dealership’s personality, perks, softer side, community involvement, local sponsorships, club meetings, feedback manager, FAQ, Sales and events promotions, opinion gatherer, new vehicle promos, etc.

In other words, treat it as a huge, multi-media, multi-sided jumbo-tron of news, info, promo, demo, intro, whatever puts your dealership in the best, most respectable and informative, easy-to-do-business-with light possible.

You won’t get many direct leads or searches…but I can promise you this, by watching these shoppers behavior over the course of their entire shipping process, across multiple sites and monitoring when and where they send leads…the Social Media visitors you have now, will be shoppers, lead generators, and probably and more likely, walk-ins over the course of the next several weeks and months. But you would not have seen any direct correlation at the time to reach out to these folks as a Social Media “Up” per say.

The fact we must consider is that we are all human beings and as such, we tend to do business with those we know and respect.....and social media expands the circle of influence (Steven Covey) for a dealership...and thus the potential pool of auto shoppers.

Last edited:
OK, I've put a lot of thought into this ... and here's some my conclusions.

The in-store experience really is the face of your business ... and social media is a mechanism that keeps a good experience top-of-mind and amplifies a customer's volume of influence. It can also attract and convert new prospects, but for now, the initial audience to engage will most-likely be poured by tapping your existing customer base.

At the end of the day IT IS about the bottom line. PR, branding and customer service is ultimately about sales. Their efforts may be a lighter trickle from the funnel in the beginning ... but with practice, patience and consistent efforts, you will build stronger post-sale relations that lead to positive (mensurable) sales results. Social media continues to evolve and is still "gooey." Where you start today, may not be where you'll be in 2012.

Dealers may not choose to invest resources or time into social media for various reasons. Regardless, I applaud the dealers that are investing in the effort to pave the way to determine the best practices in social media.

Everyone STOP for just one second.

Look at how AMAZING the quality, passion and depth of this thread is. This is COMMUNITY LEARNING at its best AND its why this site is ranked #1 in our space!!

This thread is a treasure. A time capsule. It perfectly captures the what to do with the new SM monster. A must revisit in 2012.

Thank You to Jeff K and Alex S!

DealerRefresh
-The Whole Thing is Real.

Glad you pointed that out Joe :thumbup: ....and thanks from both of us :)

My biggest take away from this thread is that most people still don't know how to monetize Social Media.