• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What does an SEO sales pitch look like?

terrencegordon

8 Pounder Veteran
Apr 20, 2009
First Name
Terrence
I'm sure I don't have to tell this to most of the dealers out there, but the topic needs attention.

We get these types of emails from our dealers almost daily, and they seem to be increasing in numbers. Most of these are as ridiculous as they are dangerous. Many dealers shrug these off, but just as many call us with concerns about the content of these emails.

Just remember - anyone can point out 1,000,000+ terms on Google that you aren't showing up for. But they would know nothing about your marketing objectives and how they relate to the hundreds of terms that you are showing up for.

The example below not only contains false information but was submitted through a lead form on the dealer's website. The "SEO Consultant" had a gmail address instead of a company address.

Dealers, are you taking these seriously?

ScreenGrab--496464297.jpg

Whenever I get one of these, I don't even give them the time of day. Straight to spam with you!

It's the modern day cold call. It's unfortunate that we even have to discuss this here -- means people are falling for this.

"PS2: I found your site from online advertising but did not click." = I payed for a list of emails and your name was on that list.

It's obviously a mass email. There is no dealership-specific content in there.

This is almost as bad as Dealers United SEO offer.

Would you really trust a company preaching all of these so called "amazing" results when they only have:

URL Backlinks 35 Domain Backlinks 61
EDU Links0EDU Links0
Form Links0Form Links0
GOV Links0GOV Links0
Image Links6Image Links6
NoFollow Links4NoFollow Links13
Redirect Links0Redirect Links13
Referring Pages35Referring Pages56

35 backlinks to their main website, are you kidding me? And you're trying to sell a SEO service, get out of here, they haven't even gotten a clue as to what SEO really is.

Here's another one that came today. This one is even better because they provided our dealer with an "SEO report card". They mention a 65 character max in the title. Not only is ours below 65 characters, but their own website has 134 characters in their title.

What's funny is that this dealer is super happy with their SEO, they are on the first page for 85% of their keywords - but yet this company scored us a 1 out of 5 on their "report card".

We actually had to setup a meeting to rebut all of this BS.

ScreenGrab--505506954.jpg

Irrelevant! Who cares if what you are doing is working! What matters is that you used the word Honda more than three times at a Honda dealership! For shame!!!!!

I work in house, and I still have to deal with managers asking about these emails claiming fantastic results. My favorite being: "Did you know you aren't ranking for this one particular phrase that no one really uses, but I am going to make everyone think it really is important? Well, you don't, and you should care!" This is always followed by a secret process (subcontracted link building from whomever is cheapest) that will help you rank better!

Big Brother is watching so I will just say this:
Everyone has a bit of a different opinion of what SEO is/should do and it is ever evolving.
I just want to be seen, known and above all get more eyes on my site and more leads (internet leads sold are how I get paid)
The less those involved at the dealer know on their own...well those are the ones that fall into these traps.

A pitch should not contain a SINGLE thing about what your website is lacking. That comes later.

A pitch should contain WHAT RESULTS OUR COMPANY HAS ACHIEVED FOR CLIENT X, Y and Z, as well as HOW WE CAN HELP YOU.

In general and with no consideration to individual marketing strategies: If you can't boost a company's traffic at least 25% YOY (targeted, quality traffic mind you) and bump their FB/YOUTUBE/Twitter/ETC traffic at least 30% YOY - they either have in-house SEO and don't need you or you ARE NOT QUALIFIED to be selling SEO services.

For any of you guys who have recently been struck by Google, or are looking for services in general, please be patient. In about a week or two, I'm launching a full-scale SEO company for dealer's and I have pages and pages and pages and pages of RESULTS to show you why you should choose us. I base my services, value and reputation on WHAT I CAN DO, not what you are doing wrong. I'll post a formal topic announcing the launch, as well as provide quite a bit of info on how these "seo" companies are raping you guys.

P.S I've now successfully turned around 6 dealership websites who took a 30% + traffic loss between Panda 3.5 and Penguin. I'm fully confident I can turn around any other dealer who has been affected. If this pertains to you, shoot me a PM and I will contact you around the time we go public and get your SERPs up to par. :)

Last edited: