• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What is with CarGurus listing page?

LotPop

3rd Base Coach
Sep 25, 2013
First Name
Jasen
When I do a 50 mile radius search for any used car from my zip, Cargurus will show 1999 used cars listed (at time of posting) https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...titySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=&zip=66062

But then I change it to a 100 mile radius and it still shows 1999 cars listed (at the time of posting) https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...y=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true

Why is this happening? If they have 1999 with in 50 miles then what cars are getting filtered out when I go to 100 miles?
They also show that I can search up to 150 miles, 200 miles, 500 miles and nationwide but it wont let me choose those filters....anyone have any answers?
cargurus.jpg
cargurus.jpg

Here is an answer I got from them, but I wonder what cars/dealers get filtered out when you move from 50-100 miles.
Hello Jasen - checked with the engineering team and it turns out we do cap results at 2000. You can narrow your search to a make or body style to see more of a specific kind of vehicle. Narrowing your search will also let you widen your search radius.

Here was another reply from Cargurus about what cars/dealers get filtered out on searches. Do you guys think this is fair? I am going to ask if the dealers that are paying for their services stay in the filtered search even if they are priced higher vs. the dealers that are not paying and are priced lower.
Here is their reply:

Our rankings are based on deal rating, so the best deals appear highest in search results. The cars that get filtered out are those that are overpriced (relative to the market) or don't have a price listed. If you want to learn more about what's going on in your market, there are tools in the Dealer Dashboard that can help: the Dealer Pricing Tool and the Market Analysis Tool. You do need to have inventory on CG to access the Dealer Dashboard.

Paying dealers get bumped in Cargurus filters if they offer a worse deal then the dealers that have their inventory listed there for free. Is that far?

It's not really all that different than any other listing site. There's multiple ways to search, "Best Deals First" is just the default.

If there's a shopper doing such a broad search that I can get bumped and not included with the other 1999 cars, I'm okay with that. I would guess that shopper, if serious, is dead set on getting the deal of a lifetime. I'd love the opportunity to earn his business and help him get a great deal here but in this rare case I'm okay if he finds it elsewhere.

I've been using Cargurus for a few years now at a few different dealer groups and each time I sign up or have had questions they've been very forthcoming about how they operate.

Reactions: Patrick A Ruster
I've been using Cargurus for a few years now at a few different dealer groups and each time I sign up or have had questions they've been very forthcoming about how they operate.

I agree, CarGurus is a great ROI for dealers, I work with dozens of dealers hands on and they are getting great returns, I am just trying ways for them to maximize SRPs and VDPs for this site and was surprised that non paying dealers can bump paying dealers. I get its all about the customer getting the best deal possible, regardless of dealers participation but are paying dealers aware?