• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Where does Dealer.com's CRM fall in terms of quality?

The Pencil Tool is accurate to the cent. Simple answer: you need someone who lived and breathed leasing in the dealership for many, many years to understand all the nuances.

Does you pencil tool account for states that do not have "use tax"? For example, Illinois has a flat tax on purchase price. That flat tax amount is based on where in Illinois you live and can vary from 6.5% (downstate rural area) to 9.5% (Chicago). Chicago also adds a monthly use tax on top of other taxes AND taxes the cap cost reduction. I know what your thinking......and you're correct - somebody has to pay for our Govenor's prison sentence!

There are several interesting nuances from state to state -- we've made the tool flexible enough to accommodate just about everything. For example -- OH -- 5 or 6 different tax rates, based on county.

As we are building and moving into tax jurisdictions, we test, and if necessary, code to the desired result. So far, so good :)

Does you pencil tool account for states that do not have "use tax"? For example, Illinois has a flat tax on purchase price. That flat tax amount is based on where in Illinois you live and can vary from 6.5% (downstate rural area) to 9.5% (Chicago). Chicago also adds a monthly use tax on top of other taxes AND taxes the cap cost reduction. I know what your thinking......and you're correct - somebody has to pay for our Govenor's prison sentence!
Grant, we are in NE Ohio. Our tax rates are based on county of residence, where even 1 zip code could have 3 different counties inside it. Also, we tax on the money difference on new cars, but not on used. Plus we are 1 hr from PA and WV that have their own different setups as well. Our loans and leases are spot on down to the penny and I love it... We had VIN 2 yrs ago and we could get the pmts within $2 at best. It's so nice when you can actually trust that what you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I know this thread is about DDC, but I have to say that no pencil tool is going to magically account for every buying scenario. It comes down to what your group is used to and how well people adapt to change. We are trying to migrate our group away from ADP's desking tool to our CRM desking tool. Both have issues, but because everyone is comfortable with ADP's nuances, it's perceived to be better. A few years ago I worked for a group that manually built all the deals in the DMS, and didn't want to use a desking tool because it wouldn't make the correct adjustments for taxes without building it into the setup first. Again, manual entry of every piece of the deal was perceived to be better because no one likes change. If you don't have the pull at the dealership to force people to except change, don't take away their ability to pencil deals the way they're doing it now. You'll lose your credibility and no one will use the tool anyway...

I know this thread is about DDC, but I have to say that no pencil tool is going to magically account for every buying scenario. It comes down to what your group is used to and how well people adapt to change. We are trying to migrate our group away from ADP's desking tool to our CRM desking tool. Both have issues, but because everyone is comfortable with ADP's nuances, it's perceived to be better. A few years ago I worked for a group that manually built all the deals in the DMS, and didn't want to use a desking tool because it wouldn't make the correct adjustments for taxes without building it into the setup first. Again, manual entry of every piece of the deal was perceived to be better because no one likes change. If you don't have the pull at the dealership to force people to except change, don't take away their ability to pencil deals the way they're doing it now. You'll lose your credibility and no one will use the tool anyway...

Good advice. The pencil is the key to the desk, and something Internet Managers should always keep in mind. To keep things on topic, the Dealer.com CRM does have a pencil tool.

Stephen - there are a number of references Dealer.com should be able to provide.