• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who writes your web content?

Craig

Boss
Apr 23, 2009
First Name
Craig
So after looking at everyone's shiny new web toys that have been released over the past month's worth of conferences it's become more apparent to me that the biggest difference we can make is by having great web content, not adding more tech.

Now, I know Brian Pasch has been pitching the message that Dealers should have an on staff content writer for a couple years now, couldn't find the exact slide but look at his slideshare presentations if you haven't already Brian Pasch?s Presentations on SlideShare I think you'll quickly see how much we haven't grown in the last couple years.

Our web content is created by a few of us in the store and we copy and rearrange and paste like everyone....but we like next level and I don't know how we get there without having a content creator that matches who we are and sees our vision.

I'm starting my journey today to find this passionate automotive content guru, who writes engaging blogposts that are search optimized, writes intelligent automotive reviews that have us being found in competitive searches in mind, is self starting, hard working and loves who Acton Toyota is and what we do, already has a blogging presence and understands where our CUSTOMERS not VENDORS are, can translate a service message from a service manager that does not want to be part of their own digital revolution and wants to learn and make mistakes together on this journey.

Has anybody else started in this direction? Who writes your content and why? Are you this person and want to work with us?

So after looking at everyone's shiny new web toys that have been released over the past month's worth of conferences it's become more apparent to me that the biggest difference we can make is by having great web content, not adding more tech.

Now, I know Brian Pasch has been pitching the message that Dealers should have an on staff content writer for a couple years now, couldn't find the exact slide but look at his slideshare presentations if you haven't already Brian Pasch?s Presentations on SlideShare I think you'll quickly see how much we haven't grown in the last couple years.

Our web content is created by a few of us in the store and we copy and rearrange and paste like everyone....but we like next level and I don't know how we get there without having a content creator that matches who we are and sees our vision.

I'm starting my journey today to find this passionate automotive content guru, who writes engaging blogposts that are search optimized, writes intelligent automotive reviews that have us being found in competitive searches in mind, is self starting, hard working and loves who Acton Toyota is and what we do, already has a blogging presence and understands where our CUSTOMERS not VENDORS are, can translate a service message from a service manager that does not want to be part of their own digital revolution and wants to learn and make mistakes together on this journey.

Has anybody else started in this direction? Who writes your content and why? Are you this person and want to work with us?

Hi Craig,

I would be interested in discussing a content strategy for Acton Toyota.

This is what I do each and everyday for clients so feel free to send me a PM or email, or also by phone at the number listed under my avatar.

@Joe
Ling? C'mon man, you know "The Acton Vibe" is far different from the "Ling Vibe".....not all of us can be all about the inventory because we have all the inventory, like you Kings.

@Scott
I guess I should expect some pitches from this post but I'm not really looking for a vendor to build us a platform or get us started or have some great analytics to help us see where our traffic is or lists our posts in multiple places that are only viewed by those of us in the industry etc....

I'm not saying these things are what you do....I'm just saying we need more of "the person who writes the interesting content" than the company that teaches you the hows and whys. We have a blog platform and are not looking to add vendors, we need an employee or freelance writer who understands who Acton Toyota is and builds content specific to us not generic to car dealers.

Thanks though, I know you're well respected in the space for what you do....it's just not what we want.

@Joe
Ling? C'mon man, you know "The Acton Vibe" is far different from the "Ling Vibe".....not all of us can be all about the inventory because we have all the inventory, like you Kings.

@Scott
I guess I should expect some pitches from this post but I'm not really looking for a vendor to build us a platform or get us started or have some great analytics to help us see where our traffic is or lists our posts in multiple places that are only viewed by those of us in the industry etc....

I'm not saying these things are what you do....I'm just saying we need more of "the person who writes the interesting content" than the company that teaches you the hows and whys. We have a blog platform and are not looking to add vendors, we need an employee or freelance writer who understands who Acton Toyota is and builds content specific to us not generic to car dealers.

Thanks though, I know you're well respected in the space for what you do....it's just not what we want.

Craig,

I think we touched on this during a different discussion. Why not reach out to the local college and see if you can find a match. Someone who is from the community knows how to ride dirty Acton styles.

Find some interns at the local college that are majoring in writing or marketing.

Anyone from your local dying newspaper looking for some freelance work?

I was approached the other week from a local gentlemen that was looking to write vehicle review. We struck a deal - I'll supply the vehicles if they supply condensed content for our dealer blogs.

I also employee TuneyFish for many of our SEO and content services.

ALSO - your manufacturer is full of content. Most OEMs have marketing and PR websites that house a ton of content. Don't forget product and service print brochures. It's rare that their online content matches their print content.

Find some interns at the local college that are majoring in writing or marketing.

Anyone at the local dieing newspaper that would write up vehicle reviews?

I was approached the other week from a local gentlemen that was looking to write reviews of vehicles. We struck a deal - I'll supply the vehicles if they supply condensed content for my dealer blogs.

ALSO - your manufacturer is full of content. Many have marketing and PR sites that have a ton of content. Don't forget product and service print brochures. It's rare that their online content matches their print content.

AWESOME JEFF! We'll put that all to good use. :D

Most dealers are starved for content, but I can show a very linear relationship between content and traffic, that is if it's leveraged well and not dupe content.

Yes, OEM's have tons of good unique content and you can grab a program like Macspeech, and transcribe it if it's not in digital form but use something like Copyscape to check it.

Anyone at the local dieing newspaper that would write up vehicle reviews?

I was approached the other week from a local gentlemen that was looking to write reviews of vehicles. We struck a deal - I'll supply the vehicles if they supply condensed content for my dealer blogs.

ALSO - your manufacturer is full of content. Many have marketing and PR sites that have a ton of content. Don't forget product and service print brochures. It's rare that their online content matches their print content.

Like the ideas....and I'm sure Scott does as well.

We are going to take it to the schools and try to get an in house person probably, because we like it that way.

I had a phone meeting today with an automotive content writer I found through Linkedin who has ZERO dealer clients (I love that) and has done work for aftermarket parts companies as well as off road publications and vehicle review sites. I think this is a great freelance option for us. He asked questions unlike typical vendors and really wanted to get a sense of who we are and where we see our digital footprint progressing. Very refreshing.

Fit and understanding who we are is important to us......and yeah Ryan, this cat I speak of has a nasty, lifted, rock crawling 4Runner....so he's ridin derty for sure!

Last edited: