• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Wordpress, the new 500lb Gorilla?

• Pride of ownership. This is one of those intangibles that is easily overlooked. When you own a website it changes how you think of it. It becomes the garden that produces food that you helped to cultivate instead of the produce isle at the grocery store.

This couldn't be anymore true. Since I designed and developed our site and it is a major contributor to sales, there is a lot work and effort on my part not to see it fail. I'll do everything in my effort to ensure it works. That pride of ownership and effort is something you won't get from any vendor.

Reactions: 1 person
What does this boil down to? How does this affect dealers whose websites are with WP providers?

From what I understand, it boils down to a few things:
- Wordpress has a database level exploit that has yet to be revealed publicly
- Wordpress has been aware for 5 weeks and is not fixing it, primarily due to the fact that it would break many themes/plugins
- Developer is going to release the exploit in a matter of days, forcing their hand

From the time it is released until the time they patch it for real, any Wordpress sites using specific plugins or configuration could be entirely vulnerable. This is not the first time this has happened and it's not going to be the last. It's an unfortunate side effect of an open source blogging platform over-extending into a full blown CMS that now often stores sensitive data.

Reactions: samdev0n
From what I understand, it boils down to a few things:
- Wordpress has a database level exploit that has yet to be revealed publicly
- Wordpress has been aware for 5 weeks and is not fixing it, primarily due to the fact that it would break many themes/plugins
- Developer is going to release the exploit in a matter of days, forcing their hand

From the time it is released until the time they patch it for real, any Wordpress sites using specific plugins or configuration could be entirely vulnerable. This is not the first time this has happened and it's not going to be the last. It's an unfortunate side effect of an open source blogging platform over-extending into a full blown CMS that now often stores sensitive data.
Right, with that much worldwide usage, you have to expect hackers to find vulnerabilities. I didn't see the the exploit news though, good info. I'm sure the powers that be at WordPress-based automotive platforms are all over it.

I don't see a decent forum, even to this day with the popularity of WP, where themes and plugins are held accountable against each other. That is not a bad idea, IMO.