• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Your Own Internal Social Network!

Ryan, I must be missing something but looking at WP MU, I'm not seeing the "social" side where it would compete with a ning or vbulletin. Actually, vb4.0 is looking mighty impressive from an forum/bloging aspect.

Thing is..if you are looking to build out an internal social network, you would want this under lock and key. No indexing in the search engines.

Hopefully we'll get an update from Mitch.

Hey Jeff,

We went right away from simplicity, we're utilizing the ning network for a small group to share info and its working really well. The holistic idea blossomed and a programmer we work very closely with to helping us put it together. What we're trying to achieve is a "sales league" type site.

Not unlike an NFL website where you've got the divisions, teams, rosters... we've attempted to recreate that for our sales teams. I also put together a hype video that I intended to use for the Synergy Sessions contest but ended up winning without having to use it. I think it puts the vision on the table... CASL on Vimeo

The issue is making it happen. We're got the sticks coming together for this house, there's a gas chit program built in they need to print a coup for the gas station, theres a monthly calendar that has all our ad spend for each store and the ad proofs if you drill down, theres an ftp to load any files, theres a forum that can be controlled via permissions so theres an "all" forum and a managers forum and right now we're working on the sales tracking portion with the whole "salesman of the week" and "King of the CASL" for the month. After we can make all that work its then making the interface "prettier". Then we're installing Moodle on there for the training side of things... and the list goes on and on.

All this while trying to remain focused on moving iron is painful!

Wordpress has something very similar to ning...called MU. They are about to merge MU with the standard WP but it is a social networking platform. I have tried it with my church. Very similar to ning but on WP platform.

I was just introduced to Wordpress MU yesterday, and it is my understanding that it is simply a platform for hosting companies to have 1 Wordpress install file on a server that they can use on all the websites attached to that server or hosting platform. It also allows the Wordpress dashboard to be viewed and used by outside softwares. I don't recall seeing anything about social media other than being able to push things. Push things like a freshly written blog article to all the accounts tied to that MU account: facebook, twitter, Ning, TypePad, etc.

Is Ning private? For connecting and sharing within an organization it is hard to beat Yammer.

https://www.yammer.com/

Thanks for sharing. I had not heard of this one..on the site right now checking it out. I see it has an MS Outlook plugin as well.

Do you know if you HAVE to log into Yammer to send out a group email and to read emails? I wouldn't want something that insists upon someone having to log into a system just to read and email.

Humm...at 3.00 - 5.00 a person that could get a little costly.