• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Since DR is the only forum NOT sponsoring a conference this fall...

ryan.leslie

One of the good guys
Apr 20, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
... I figure this is the perfect neutral ground to discuss them all.

Digital Dealer, DrivingSales, AutoCon, JD Power, and I think there is at least one more I'm forgetting too.

I get asked about the different conferences quite a bit as they approach and I'd like to offer more than just the exhibition hall experience.

Two discussion questions for the forum, Dealers and Vendors alike:

ShortTerm: Will you be attending/speaking/exhibiting at any of the Fall 2012 conferences? Are you choosing one over the rest and if so, why?

LongTerm: How many conferences can the industry support? As far as content is concerned, if you've attended one, have you attended them all? Is more choice better or is the end result just diluting one big conference by forcing dealers and sponsors to choose? Pure speculation, but since they all compete for the only thing more valuable than money, TIME, which ones do you think will rise to the top and which ones will cease to be?

DISCLAIMER: I don't know that I will personally be attending any of the conferences in the fall and don't make that decision for my employer either, but I can't help but notice that there are several options where there used to be just one. As with any change in the industry, I look forward to seeing what the smart people of DealerRefresh think about a much more competitive landscape for conference promoters to court dealer attendees and vendor sponsors. I'm interested to see where this goes...

Reactions: 2 people
I have applied to speak at two of them so far and will probably fill a third one out real soon. I also plan to exhibit at the first two and maybe the third if the price is right.

Can the industry support them all? Considering that such a small percentage attend these conferences, I would think there's still a growth curve waiting to happen, but at some point there's going to be a shake out. Cost and quality of content are going to be huge deciding factors.

My calendar has 18 days booked for industry events over the next 4 months. The amount of money I spend on these events with exhibit space and travel is getting crazy. I am just a small company, I can't imagine the budgets for some of the larger vendors.

Now my customers will understand why I am so firm with my pricing. We need a "Deals for Vendors" program!

Reactions: 3 people
I "complained" about the pricing here and another vendor not only supported the price but even said it is cheap!

Ralph: Make this right - Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community

Yago,

Your post over there was partially the inspiration for this one. There seems to be an awful lot of pandering to a perceived dealer audience and shameless self-promotion over there by the vendors at times. It's like visiting a fanpage where every tab is inventory. I'm not judging, but it is very different. I keep coming back to DealerRefresh BECAUSE of the moderators like Pistell that actively discourage that stuff. That said, I highly respect Tom Gorham from Apple Chevrolet and his efforts with the "From the Trenches" series of articles. If you haven't read those you are missing out on a quality writer providing quality content.

On conferences, I understand the "if you build it (and let them in for free), they will come" strategy. I like it on face value, but it still requires a time commitment from the dealer and now they have no skin in the game so skipping that cocktail party in the exhib hall may be much more appealing.

That's the flipside of the coin that you better be able to show an incredible amount of perceived value to the ones that are footing the bill. I'm not saying that the organizers won't, just pointing out that a cost shift like this one puts a heavier burden on the organizer to give the sponsors quality time. That could get awfully pitchy, like "free stay at our resort hotel in Naples if you attend our presentation on timeshare opportunities" pitchy. ;)

Just a few thoughts to encourage more conversation, tell me if you think I'm in deep left...

Reactions: 1 person
I think you may be missing two other conferences. I know one of them is Auto Dealer Monthly's. It is after AutoCon. September and October are turning into back-to-back conference months in Vegas.

Thanks Alex.

If managers can't take 2 consecutive days out in a week, how are they going to take 2 consecutive months out in a year? Better question, how are they going to ever recover from 2 vendor sponsored months in Vegas? Betty Ford may be the next big IPO! :)