• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Has 10DLC Registration shut down your CRM Text Messaging?

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
Hi guys. I'm wondering if the recent 10DLC Registration has affected anyone else here in the forum. We use ELead CRM at our stores and a couple of the stores text messaging capabilities have been shut down because of the 10DLC Registration expired for the stores. Talking with various reps at ELead, this has happend to quite a few dealers. ELead says they send out notifications via Mail, Email, etc... But, talking with their reps, sometimes the contacts thats getting these notifications don't work with the dealerships anymore. Or, they're being delivered to unattended mailboxes. I'm also getting mixed info as to how long it takes to get the registration approved. I was initially told a few days. Now I'm being told 2 - 3 weeks. Just curious if this has affected any of you guys. I'm also curious if you guys have put any type of processes in place to avoid having an issue like this.

Yep -- 6 store group that uses eLead was affected.

OUCH!

I was receiving email communications from eLead about a year ago over this. I believe a few "update alerts" inside of the UI were also happening. If I recall correctly, the dealers information needed to match exactly what is on their W-9.

I'll see if my connection would be available to shed some light on this. @Rick Buffkin - my connection checked a few (3) of your stores including your Toyo dealer and reported back that they are registered properly. But again they only checked a few.

BTW - It's our wonderful government and providers that are mandating this and not elead or the other CRMs. They want control over who is texting.

It should take only a few days for the registration to process.

Here is one of the last communications I received in Feb 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 12.47.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 12.47.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 12.47.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Yesterday I submitted a ticket with VinSolutions after verifying texts weren't going out to two Verizon customers but didn't expand that search further. Support said they were aware of a couple of other customers who had submitted the same ticket yesterday. I wonder if it is impacting VinSolutions as well and the full scope hasn't been revealed yet? Anyone on Vin having issues?

Did you submit your Federal IDs to Vin in August using this form they sent out on the 8/5?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallcool1
Yesterday I submitted a ticket with VinSolutions after verifying texts weren't going out to two Verizon customers but didn't expand that search further. Support said they were aware of a couple of other customers who had submitted the same ticket yesterday. I wonder if it is impacting VinSolutions as well and the full scope hasn't been revealed yet? Anyone on Vin having issues?

Did you submit your Federal IDs to Vin in August using this form they sent out on the 8/5?
I am not a Vin Solutions user, but I have some understanding of this process.

There is a company called The Campaign Registry that is a central hub for all Mobile Carriers. The Campaign Registry does verification of numbers for the Carriers, and charges the phone number owner for it. I started registering numbers with them a couple years ago, knowing that this was coming. Vin likely won't tell you this nor would they have a reason to. They likely just absorb the monthly registration fees. The Campaign Registry is back logged beyond belief, and have also become very picky about the type of messaging Campaign that they will accept for a given message category. Different categories cost a different amount. I had numbers sitting in "Pending Verification" status for nearly 3 months, and they had still not gotten to them.

Verizon is really hard to deal with on these issues. Verizon charges the 2nd highest Carrier Surcharge of any of the Mobile companies, and they have their own CNAM Database. Getting the business name to appear on incoming calls to Verizon customers can take over a year. Even after registering numbers with The Campaign Registry, we still had some message deliverability issues with Verizon Customers. Messages would get flagged because of certain terms that were contained within the message. When I log into the backend, I search for the message and see a "Carrier Violation" message. Terms that seemed to cause issues were "Loan Approval, Credit Application, Credit Score" etc. We would have to re-type the message and reword things in order to send the messages.

I wish I could give you a phone number to call or even a website to visit. If you find any contact information for Verizon, please share it. I will of course do the same.

@Tallcool1 is correct that much of this ends at the responsibility of The Campaign Registry (TCR). You are also correct that they are backlogged. To add to it, carriers requirements and deadlines are a moving target.

You're one of the rare instances that is working directly with the TCR. There are benefits and pitfalls to this depending on scale or urgency.

The 10DLC breakdowns that dealers are experiencing from platforms are likely tied to the assembly line that leads to TCR/Carriers. These platforms usually leverage a CPaaS to manage the registration effort. Avoiding carrier blocks related to 10DLC is a team effort among platforms and their CPaaS. Though, it isn't easy.

If your 10DLC numbers are failing through a platform you use, it is likely a failure of their CPaaS being engaged or clear in direction.

I find it interesting that these blocks fall conveniently in line with the same timeline of Twilio's "downtime" for long codes in the US (10DLC) last week.

10DLC is a big, painful process that I'm happy to answer questions in navigating.

@Tallcool1 is correct that much of this ends at the responsibility of The Campaign Registry (TCR). You are also correct that they are backlogged. To add to it, carriers requirements and deadlines are a moving target.

You're one of the rare instances that is working directly with the TCR. There are benefits and pitfalls to this depending on scale or urgency.

The 10DLC breakdowns that dealers are experiencing from platforms are likely tied to the assembly line that leads to TCR/Carriers. These platforms usually leverage a CPaaS to manage the registration effort. Avoiding carrier blocks related to 10DLC is a team effort among platforms and their CPaaS. Though, it isn't easy.

If your 10DLC numbers are failing through a platform you use, it is likely a failure of their CPaaS being engaged or clear in direction.

I find it interesting that these blocks fall conveniently in line with the same timeline of Twilio's "downtime" for long codes in the US (10DLC) last week.

10DLC is a big, painful process that I'm happy to answer questions in navigating.
Thanks for the reply. Oddly enough, I do have a question for you!

Vonage handles Voice as well as Messaging, so I am certain you probably send me down the correct rabbit hole here. We update the CNAM Databases each time we add a Phone Number so that the receiver of the call will see ClockTower Auto rather than the phone number. I have tested a few Mobile Carriers, and it works almost immediately. However, Verizon is not picking up the correct CNAM or Caller ID. My understanding is the Verizon uses their own CNAM Database rather than using a look up tool.

How do I get to this Verizon CNAM Database? Is there a secret or have I given up my research too quickly? Also, can you tell me if all of the other carriers using the Verizon Network (Straight Talk, Trac, Spectrum, etc) use the Verizon CNAM Database?

I appreciate any advice here. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Oddly enough, I do have a question for you!

Vonage handles Voice as well as Messaging, so I am certain you probably send me down the correct rabbit hole here. We update the CNAM Databases each time we add a Phone Number so that the receiver of the call will see ClockTower Auto rather than the phone number. I have tested a few Mobile Carriers, and it works almost immediately. However, Verizon is not picking up the correct CNAM or Caller ID. My understanding is the Verizon uses their own CNAM Database rather than using a look up tool.

How do I get to this Verizon CNAM Database? Is there a secret or have I given up my research too quickly? Also, can you tell me if all of the other carriers using the Verizon Network (Straight Talk, Trac, Spectrum, etc) use the Verizon CNAM Database?

I appreciate any advice here. Thanks

This one appears to be a secret...at least at my pay grade.

The inner workings of where CNAM registration data lives is downstream from me. The most exposure I have to it is gathering numbers, submitting a ticket to our team, then voodoo magic happens and it works. I checked this morning for any instances where Vonage wasn't able to update CNAM for Verizon handsets and nothing came up. My assumption would be that everything under that Verizon umbrella would be covered.

Are you registering these CNAMs directly with the carriers/central database or are you leveraging a dashboard from a comms partner that does it for you?

I will note for others that this CNAM gap likely isn't having an effect on your 10DLC registration. Two separate processes.

Just a few complaints that I dug up in about 15 seconds. I thought maybe you would have some insight here. I would gladly update these CNAM records directly with the carriers/central database. The problem is that Verizon doesn't seem to want that to happen. It is not an issue with other mobile carriers. I am guessing that they have an upsell for their users to get this information to appear on their mobile phone.

Got it. You may just have me stumped on my first test.

The reason I was asking if you were leveraging a comms partner (Twilio, Bandwidth, Vonage, etc) is because their carrier relationships may be what bypasses whatever upsell or restricted access exists. Though, I don't know.

I sent a note to our carrier relations team to see what they may have on this.