• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does TV Advertising Still Have a Role in Car Sales?

I've been on both sides of the business, and I can confirm this. :rofl:

Yep...bounced back and forth between the two sides over many years and tend to agree with you.

This discussion is almost akin to the "last click attribution" convo and the supporters of this arcane methodology. There are multiple means of successfully influencing customers and they tend to vary by market. Some may work independently but most are just part of a tiny little game of Jenga inside the consumer's mind...

As far as TV Advertising, of course it still has a role in car sales. Like any other channel (no pun intended) of advertising, it's only as powerful as you make it.

There are tools out there to help your measure it as well, such as TV Analytics from http://www.clarivoy.com/products.html.
  • Identifies which networks, programs, creatives and dayparts convert potential consumers into buying customers
hipstermetrics.jpg

Thank you for opening the discussion, Molly. A subject near and dear to my heart.

The VAB study was based on a nationwide sample size of 1,000 consumers who plan to purchase in the next six months. I'm always wary of primary research funded by an organization who supports a particular trade. The question is, when looking at syndicated qualitative research (less biased) from a company like Simmons or Scarborough do those influences hold up? And when you look at the households who are geographically located near your store, specifically shoppers who have recently registered the specific model(s) you sell, what mediums are most effective? (full disclosure, our company, String Automotive, provides these insights).

Starting with the specific demographics for the model you are promoting, or need to move most desperately to achieve sales effective numbers, build individual heavy up campaigns with mediums specific to advancing those sales. By taking a model specific approach, you can avoid a broad spray and pray message which is less effective.

Using an example from a zip code in a large market:
Katy, TX, demonstrates a strong propensity for digital media. Putting it another way, the importance of having a strong presence in digital is much greater if you are selling cars in the suburbs of Houston. The Silverado, demographics support a similar story.

Smaller market:
In Myrtle Beach, SC, the propensity is much more even and traditional plays a greater role, especially when you are trying to move more Chevy trucks.

All Car Buyers, Katy, TX.png Silverado, Katy, TX.png All Car Buyers, Conway, SC.png Silverado Conway, SC.png

The questions posed in the VAB study are valuable because they speak to the influence each medium has on varying demographics, nationwide. However, we should all be careful to take that research into consideration when making changes to local budgets without reviewing the data from your own market, specifically, your PMA/AOI and the demographics for each of your specific models.

As for seeking metrics to confirm your current television spend, you can isolate your direct and branded traffic in Google Analytics and compare your flight dates and spot times. If you are buying broadcast television, you will almost always see a lift in traffic and conversions for each daypart, e.g., prime time, early fringe, late fringe, etc. However, that approach simply looks to report on cause and effect. Spots ran, traffic increased. However, a lift in traffic does not always correlate to a lift in sales for a specific model. So, using those stats to imply a return on investment from TV spend would be naive. As mentioned above, you have to take the entire journey into consideration. If you run a lease special on a Camry, lift your traffic, but demonstrate a conflicting offer to your visitor online, the journey and the attribution of that visitor is flawed.

Most importantly, track whether each mix of media that you choose for a specific model is making an impact in the zip codes where you need to achieve greater saturation. Until you can prove that you are incrementally lifting your sales beyond the current market share you are or should be achieving, keep the tweaks to your budget mild and calculated. Then, once you've achieved a certain saturation, you can play with wider reaching mediums.

Strategy reports for any new model and are available for any dealership in the U.S. for free. Just make a request to any member of our team.

Attachments

• strategy_rx_350_missed_opportunity_20170109.pdf
    641.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: TomLaPointe
TV still seems viable in my (Tampa) market - the stores on TV are generally the sales leaders in their segments. But with ALL (traditional and digital) marketing there also seems to be the volvo effect - or what came first, chicken or egg.
Are volvos more safe because they're built better or their drivers pay more attention to the road and drive more conservatively?
Are successful stores successful because they advertise or are their ads successful because they do EVERYTHING better?
I see it in our market segment with live chat, but also look at the dealers who use a premium website platform, top-tier SEM/SEO vendors, CRM, and the list goes on. Better stores have the higher-performing products. I also see stores that convert website leads at 5% - at least they're smart enough to know their number but not able to move the needle with staff and processes to improve.
How TV advertising SHOULD be
With digital marketing there is an addiction to in-market buyers. TV seems to work for OEMs because they hit 'pre-market' buyers before Google's Zero Moment of Truth. Just throwing money at the TV is probably one of the dumber things to do... but smart TV advertising can make a difference in these ways...
  • Matches the brand to the viewer's interests (truck ads on outdoor channels, BHPH ads on daytime programming with the lawyers, luxu brands on lifestyle shows)
  • Have trackable phone numbers - oh, and actually LOOK at the report :)
  • Use a hook - free cruise, TV, ipad, etc
  • Be sure staff are VERY diligent asking the shopper how they picked the store for this visit on a 'walk-in' or phone up
Dealers need to link ALL their marketing efforts
If anything data from companies like Clarivoy and Brian Pasch's gang at PCG show us that multiple touches can connect to a sale. If you have chat / text, be sure to include the link or phone number on ALL forms of advertising. I know a Maryland dealer who CRUSHED IT with a recent email campaign using their text link. Include these on TV
Cable companies will eventually pull their head out of their butt
Maybe this is already happening places, but most internet subscribers in this market get it through their cable company, which also feeds their tv programming - including ON-Demand shows. They SHOULD eventually be able to cross-reference their ads with the IP addresses of the subscribers and track the traffic while the ads run. Maybe they can and don't because the numbers are pitiful, but i think we are moving in that direction. i'm pretty sure Hulu and YouTube know when i click an ad...

@Rick Buffkin, thank you for sharing this. I was just asked by a Toyota dealer in Baton Rouge to dig into Ninth Decimal's offerings. I can't wait to dig into the data and see what we can find. Fascinating, but a few eyebrow raising concerns.

1) How will Tier 2 agencies be able to adjust the cost per copy paid in by dealers with a fair and equitable split of budget once this type of buying goes into effect. I can't imagine that the available households for addressable TV are equally available for every dealer's PMA - not yet, anyway.

2) Aggregating location and device ID data for your customers through the OEM/agency could lead to a serious battleground over who owns that data for future marketing. Even if the personal identifiers are removed, that data could be resold to hurt the profitability of the local franchise.

Very interesting times, for sure.

I did notice that for the time period mentioned in the article, our Toyota dealer's Camry sales were up significantly (18%). Their Direct and Branded traffic was up (11%) and form submissions were up (28%). These commercials aired in the market before the flood, which most definitely changed the market conditions in August. I look forward to digging in further and to hearing more from friends at Gulf States Toyota as well. I would love to see the reach and frequency stats from the buy.

As an aside, since they are mentioned as one of the three players in the article. If you'd like to hear the latest from Experian Automotive's team, please join us in New Orleans to hear Erik Hjermstad speak at String's Secret Sauce Workshop on the 26th.

@Rick Buffkin I'm ready to geek out over your data too. Just let me know when to drive to Nashville.

Reactions: TomLaPointe