• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are there BIG coincidences? GSMarketing...

Sharko

Hat Trick
Jun 25, 2012
First Name
Marko
Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets into a spat with another woman that sounds like this?

RAVA: Yes, that's all, a coincidence!

ELAINE: A big coincidence.

RAVA: Not a big coincidence. A coincidence!

ELAINE: No, that's a big coincidence.

RAVA: That's what a coincidence is! There are no small coincidences and big coincidences!

ELAINE: No, there are degrees of coincidences.

Here's how this was brought to mind: We are evaluating DDS (Dealer.com) and are currently with Clickmotive / GS Marketing. I shared this with GS Marketing, in fact, just last week and told them that barring any major change, I was going to break-up with them. (I'll do a in-depth comparison of the two in the future.)

Anyway, so on Friday, a digital version of our mailer gets posted to our website (by GS Marketing) and for the first time ever, it's upside down. (The mailer was printed fine - it's just this way on our site b/c whoever loaded it didn't apply any quality control.)

When I learned of this, I called GS Marketing that very minute.

I told a co-worker, "Hey, I just spoke with a 'Fusion Website Ninja' (that's their internal moniker for their techs.) so they're gonna take this serious. It'll be fixed ASAP." Right? Wrong. That was last week.

As of today, it's still upside down and that's how we're being represented to our potential customers who visit that page on our website.

So I ask you: coincidence?

Why would you tell them that, seems like a recipe for them to loose interest in your account if your switching. But on the other hand I could see it as them needing to improve, and do everything they can to prove you should stay with them. But fixing something like that takes 60 seconds, rotate image, re-upload to server, change image code.. Shouldn't take a week. But in all seriousness, a good chunk of vendors do this, you ask for something and they either take forever to get it done or just sweep it under the rug. And not just websites, but I will say there are some top-notch vendors who are phenomenal in their service/support though.

Sam, I'm curious as to how they responded, to your needs, before you told them. Did you have much involvement with their tech guys? Before now, have they been responsive? You don't have access to the website backend tool?

Sam, I'm curious as to how they responded, to your needs, before you told them. Did you have much involvement with their tech guys? Before now, have they been responsive? You don't have access to the website backend tool?

Did you have much involvement with their tech guys?
"Much" is relative but as much as the next guy, I suppose.

Before now, have they been responsive?
I'd say, yeah. And particularly when it was urgent.

You don't have access to the website backend tool?
Sure I do. It's not accessible through it.

Sam, Working at dealerships, I made a lot of very good vendor friends and we remain friends, today. In your case, I would be on the phone demanding that it be corrected while I waited. If that didn't happen, I would be asking for that individual's supervisor. As soon as you get the supervisor, ask him how he spells his name. Then ask him who his supervisor is in the event that he is unable to resolve your problem. Always be extremely nice and never curse. A week to fix their mistake is ridiculous. I promise, they wouldn't be thankful for my phone call.

Very Funny Story Sam! When you fire somebody, you fire them. Don't beat around the bush! Keep it secret until the day comes and then pull the trigger.

Well, Jerry, I guess I'll chalk this one up to lesson learned. I figured, they know I'm gonna talk about it, but then, upon further reflection, I guess they didn't. I still can't convict them but it doesn't look great.

I did call them today and told them I'm going to post about the transition process from A to Z. (They host our email so I'm particularly concerned about that.) We'll see if that does any good. I also located the highest ranking person I could find over there and reiterated my plan.

Perhaps the light of detailing the process will keep everything nice and smooth.

I know that dealers switch out vendors everyday, and it all goes well, so I guess this is just me trying to get some insurance about it.