• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Auto turntables - Do's and Dont's - need advise

Joe,

Your insights on this topic are truly appreciated. After reading through some of the other forums on the subject, I agree- you don't want your photos to look like stock photos. I plan to create a booth similar to that of Mercedes Benz of the Woodlands. Carvana style VDP without missing the mark and looking too evox. Sister technologies is about to release a product that will allow the dealers to point out imperfections (Similar to Carvana). I'll be nervous as hell but I think I'll try out that method. We recondition the heck out of these cars so there should only be minor imperfections to note, just enough to convey the transparency we're going for.

As far as lighting goes... Any specific recommendations or experts out there that I could give a call?

One more addition question: I noticed that Carvana only has the 360 spin and virtual tour of the interior. It doesn't look like they use actual interior shots. Do you think we could get away with that as well?

Thanks-
Evan

...As far as lighting goes... Any specific recommendations or experts out there that I could give a call?

Lighting will make or break your idea. Ask Sister for assistance. Possibly if Todd Caputo comes by, he can offer some help.

One more addition question: I noticed that Carvana only has the 360 spin and virtual tour of the interior. It doesn't look like they use actual interior shots. Do you think we could get away with that as well?

Ask yourself, "will it help my shoppers be smarter?" If it passes your gut check, then test your ideas, in the prototype stage.
UserTesting.com
UserTesting.com
UserTesting.com
UserTesting.com
I can't preach it enough.

Craig, what did you mean by this? It looks like they're the same size photos.

Sorry, they are the same size - one was just a direct link to image. The website downsizes them to that size, which is an embarrassingly small photo considering the amount of money they spent on photo equipment. If I was going to invest all that in photos and then my website couldn't enlarge the photos for my customers to see I would be shopping for a new website.

That photo isn't even 700px x 500px - you're showing me DVD quality in a BluRay world.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of inventory providers aren't storing the originals and resize 640x480 on upload. It would be nice to get the originals to resize for retina. I think actually Facebook does quite a bit of resizing/optimizations on upload, too. Most of the stuff I upload has all been resized and compressed.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of inventory providers aren't storing the originals and resize 640x480 on upload. It would be nice to get the originals to resize for retina. I think actually Facebook does quite a bit of resizing/optimizations on upload, too. Most of the stuff I upload has all been resized and compressed.

Facebook does resizing and compressing, but they still store the larger ones for larger screens.
I have 2 30" displays, 2 27" displays and 2 laptops and photos this size look small on all of them.
I'm aware that alot of website providers are doing this, but that doesn't make it ok ;)