• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Conquest Email Services - Exposed?

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
@brianpasch has been hot the trail of exposing conquest email services that are flat out wasting your money. Could you be spending money each month to market to folks in another state? You bet.

Brian has been collecting data around some companies and exposing those who are taking some dealerships to the cleaners. Maybe you want him to look into what your current provider is up to? Take a look at some of these examples below:

@brianpasch share how our community can get this info to you and what they should be looking for in their analytics and reporting.

Updated video:

Last edited:
The dealership I recently started with has been using conquest email blasts for a couple months. Interestingly enough I had just reviewed the analytics Friday, found some red flags, and contacted our ad agency. They're now checking into it for other clients as well, should be interesting what they find. Like Chris said though, it's not very surprising.

I remember falling victim to this back in '09, then I tried it again in '11-'12. That pretty much settled it for me. I have stayed away ever since. It's just so much better to invest your time and money installing a solid customer data collection process throughout the sales funnel.

Just another "shot-in-the-arm" "silver-bullet" "shiny-object" to stay away from.

This is disconcerting, no doubt about it. Obviously, as Brian stated, there are still good programs out there and I'd be interested in what you think the best way to differentiate would be. Providing a postal list prior to the email blasts? That's something we've considered (and offered to do when asked). I'm also interested what the matched sales reports for theses dealers look like, because the practice of sending the majority of the emails to "bogus" recipients seems like a great way to boost analytics...but a horrible way to provide a legit matched sales/RO report with any real ROI. Our program is still relatively new and we're trying hard to find ways to make it honest and accountable while still offering great, transparent results...so suggestions would be very welcome.

Our program is still relatively new and we're trying hard to find ways to make it honest and accountable while still offering great, transparent results...so suggestions would be very welcome.
Dave do you own or work for a similar email service that does this? I'd like to hear your response, especially on the website traffic sources, and on the sales match report for the campaigns. Or from any vendor that does a similar email service.

Dave do you own or work for a similar email service that does this? I'd like to hear your response, especially on the website traffic sources, and on the sales match report for the campaigns. Or from any vendor that does a similar email service.

I work for Autosweet, we do offer a conquest email product. Frankly, I was pretty horrified to see those results in their analytics report...enough that we're auditing the reports for our clients today (although we don't expect to see anything like that). We work with 3 different data partners to compile our lists and review the postal list pretty carefully that each search provides before whittling it down to our final prospects and have offered the full postal list prior to the campaign beginning. We knew going into this that one of the primary concerns we heard was transparency and reporting, that's been our focus as we developed the product from the start. One of the ways we combat this type of thing is real time matched sales, matched service, and overall ROI reporting. I think it helps when a client can see a matched sale pop up in their dashboard, know exactly what transaction it was (because it just happened), verify that it was a new customer, etc. We're constantly looking for ways to add to our transparency though, and this is a concern that I didn't even know existed prior to this thread...so we'll be talking today about the best way to overcome it.

One thing I noticed that one of the reports showed was a very high click through rate...but looking at the numbers, what they're actually reporting is the number of click throughs as a percentage of opens, not the rate of clicks as a percentage of emails.

Oh i bet he is. It wouldn't be abnormal for some folks to want to take out his servers either among other things. Reason being is that the world of email list buying (which this essentially is) is almost Dark Web type territory.

I found this fairly recent post over on hubspot as to why you shouldn't buy email lists. Whether or not someone is buying it to add to their database or renting it from someone else. ie. Conquest Campaigns. These vendors for the most part are banking on the fact that you are a dumb automotive person and believe you can actually buy people this way.

Why You Shouldn't Buy Email Lists

Reputable email marketing vendors don't let you send emails to lists you've bought.
If you're using email marketing software now or plan to in the future, you'll find that reputable companies will insist that you use opt-in email lists. You might be saying, "I'll just use a non-reputable email marketing vendor." Alas, ESPs on shared IP addresses that don't require customers to use opt-in email lists typically suffer poor deliverability. Why? One customer's ill-gotten email address list can poison the deliverability of the other customers on that shared IP address. You're going to want to hitch your wagon to the light side of the email marketing force if you want your emails to actually get into inboxes.

Good email address lists aren't for sale.
Unless your company is in the middle of some M&A action, you're not going to come across high quality email lists you can purchase. If it's for sale, it means that the email addresses on it have already been ripped to shreds by all the other people who have purchased that list and emailed the people on it. Any email addresses that once had value have since been spammed to the ends of the earth.

If someone actually had a good email list, they'd keep it to themselves because they don't want to see the value of those email addresses diminished by letting other people get their hands on it. Think about it -- would you sell or share the email addresses of those who have voluntarily opted in to receive email from you? I didn't think so.

People on a purchased or rented list don't actually know you.
I referenced this earlier, but it's worth going into some more detail on this subject. Rented and purchased lists are sometimes scraped from other websites which, I think we can all agree, is a dirty way to acquire email marketing contacts. But let's say they're not scraped and are acquired through considerably less sketchy means -- list purchase and rental companies may tout that those lists are opt-in. Sounds great, right?

Not really, because it means that the contacts have opted to receive emails from, say, the list-purchasing company -- not your company. Even if the opt-in process includes language like, "Opt in to receive information from us, or offers from other companies we think you might enjoy," the fact is that the recipient has never heard of your company, and does not remember opting in to receive emails from you. That means there's a really good chance a lot of the recipients will mark you as "Spam" because they don't recognize you or remember opting in to communications from you ... which takes us to our next point.

Your email deliverability and IP reputation will be harmed.
Did you know that there are organizations dedicated to combating email spam? Thank goodness, right? They set up a little thing called a honeypot, which is a planted email address that, when harvested and emailed, identifies the sender as a spammer. Similarly, things called spam traps can be created to identify spammy activity; they are set up when an email address yields a hard bounce because it is old or no longer valid, but still receives consistent traffic. Fishy, eh? As a result, the email address turns into a spam trap that stops returning the hard bounce notice, and instead accepts the message and reports the sender as a spammer.

If you purchase a list, you have no way of confirming how often those email addresses have been emailed, whether the email addresses on that list have been scrubbed for hard bounces to prevent identifying you as a spammer, or from where those email addresses originated. Are you really willing to risk not only your email deliverability, but also the reputation of your IP address and your company? Even if you find the light after purchasing or renting email lists and decide to only email those who have opted in with your company, it will take you months (or maybe years) to get your Sender Score up and rebuild the reputation of your IP.

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/...chasing-Email-Lists-Is-Always-a-Bad-Idea.aspx

Reactions: Jeff Kershner