• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cost Per Internet Sale

ajholland

Boss
Nov 29, 2009
First Name
Aaron
What would you all consider an "acceptable" cost per internet sale? I would calculate mine based upon

(Internet Ad Budget+BDC labor)/Internet Sales

I do not include any showroom labor costs

Just curious what a good number should be and if other calculate this number differently?

Without labor costs mine is significantly higher, usually between $250-$450. Our ad expenses are DealerOn, AutoTrader.com and PPC for 2 stores with Moore and Scarry.

I feel like our sales and follow up process is solid, am I just not finding all of the internet sales and thus my cost per sale is high?

Should your website be considered an "advertising" expense?? I don't know the real answer to this but I hear dealers talk about it a lot. Its really just an extension of your dealership that you HAVE to have.

"We're spending $1000 a month on our website we have no ad budget left for online" - my fav.

Good question Aaron. If a dealer is complaining about not having any budget after their website expense, there are some other issues there. :(

We bill our websites to "outside services". It's not part of the marketing budget. But anything we "plug" into the sites, goes to marketing. We out source some of our BDC efforts (follow-up) and this get billed towards marketing..huh?

It comes down to what field on the ledger the owner wants to see the numbers in.

Last edited:
Aaron, I think you want to have many other levels of costing for your internet sales beyond cost per sale so you can detect deficiencies or areas of opportunity. Jeff gave you a great range for the cost per sale but are you doing an individual source cost per lead/apt/sale?

You may not be finding all the sales. Some rough framework to gauge your #'s would be 20%-25% leads show as an apt and at least 10% of overall leads close, or 50% shows close. (more then 50% of apts SHOULD close) I think a better benchmark to be striving for is 15% overall closed. If you're hitting 15% then you're leaving some on the table but, I would say that's not where your biggest opportunity is.

Aaron, The only way to get a good comparison is if the numerator (in your case Internet Ad Budget+BDC labor) and denominator (Internet Sales) are calculated and tracked identically.

Let's say twin brothers run the internet departments at two similar stores in the same market. Each dealership sells 50 cars a month out of a 100 car inventory. Both stores sell about a dozen cars that can be directly attributed to an email or phone call to the internet department, but the second store has an aggressive tracking program in place and can account for 25 more cars sold to "walk-ins" that visited the Internet before they came in. The second store classifies those walk-ins as internet sales and has a cost per sale that is a third of the first store. The two stores are having identical success, but because management calculates and tracks the denominator differently, one brother looks like a hero and the other a heal.

Complicate this further, by giving our brothers some cousins across the country. One cousin works at a store that is diligent about stocking Low Market Days Supply vehicles and prices them to market. The store has worked hard and is up to 18 inventory turns a year. The other cousin works at a store with high gross mentality that consistently prices $3,0000 to $4,000 above market average in order to give them room for the occasional "Home Run". They don't hit as many as they used to, but they are still pretty proud of their PVR. They are only hitting 4 turns a year. The first cousin gets to brag about his low, low cost per internet sale at the family reunions while the second cousin gets laughed at. The funny thing is the second cousin runs the best operation in the family, he's just hamstrung by the store's management philosophy (and happy the carrying costs and wholesale losses his store experiences don't affect him!).

There are so many moving parts, so many factors at play here, that it makes store-to-store comparisons difficult.

It all boils down to what you call an "Internet Deal." Much like Ed stated above it really depends on your calculations. There is no right answer in a world without standardizations (not saying those are necessary).

Many years ago we decided to track the internet as an advertising source. We wanted to know how many walkins, phone calls and web leads we received and all the statistics including cost of sale etc...So we can look at the numbers from all angles we do break each down and then total them up. So we do track just web leads and know what the COS is for those individually as well as the totals.