• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
They don't when it comes to loans, but I was playing with used cars from different dealers' inventories and was noticing some lenders in different LTV situations were popping up more.

When it comes to leases, they absolutely do compete down to the model level. Ally and US Bank, in particular, go back and forth for two weeks after captive lenders put their money factors and residuals out. What's most amazing is how few sales managers realize rates continue to change at other banks after the captive publishes. When it comes to specials and being more aggressive on the floor, this is supremely missed.

Glad I could help!

The tool I'm using is FRIKINtech's SALESiQ product (SERVICEiQ & EQUITYiQ have this capability too). It isn't solely for finding lenders or payments, but it is a nice little bonus we baked into it.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
When it comes to leases, they absolutely do compete down to the model level. Ally and US Bank, in particular, go back and forth for two weeks after captive lenders put their money factors and residuals out. What's most amazing is how few sales managers realize rates continue to change at other banks after the captive publishes. When it comes to specials and being more aggressive on the floor, this is supremely missed.

I can vouch for this. I was looking to lease a new Toyota Taco a bit over a year ago and it just so happens we have a Toyota dealer in our Group. I ran several in-stock Tacomas through SalesIQ, and at the time Ally Bank was offering some STUPID residuals and money factors on them. Knowing our Toyota dealer worked with Ally, when I presented the exact numbers and payment for the Tacoma they had on the showroom floor, they gave me the ol' deer-in-the-headlights look and (with a smirk on their face) wanted to know where the hell I got my information from. They were CERTAIN I was smoking crack for thinking I could get that kind of payment on that particular truck. They knew all the numbers Toyota Financial was offering but had NO IDEA Ally was such an aggressive player on the leasing front - payments north of $70 a month cheaper at the time.

Why would a dealer NOT arm themselves with such strong information?

Great question.

I can vouch for this. I was looking to lease a new Toyota Taco a bit over a year ago and it just so happens we have a Toyota dealer in our Group. I ran several in-stock Tacomas through SalesIQ, and at the time Ally Bank was offering some STUPID residuals and money factors on them. Knowing our Toyota dealer worked with Ally, when I presented the exact numbers and payment for the Tacoma they had on the showroom floor, they gave me the ol' deer-in-the-headlights look and (with a smirk on their face) wanted to know where the hell I got my information from. They were CERTAIN I was smoking crack for thinking I could get that kind of payment on that particular truck. They knew all the numbers Toyota Financial was offering but had NO IDEA Ally was such an aggressive player on the leasing front - payments north of $70 a month cheaper at the time.

Why would a dealer NOT arm themselves with such strong information?

Great question.
The joys of CDJR, running a million leases on the different models and trims through 3 or 4 different banks to at the beginning of each month to know how to maximize each deal...

Rookie question - are these companies like CUDL the best opportunities to add lenders?

We've been struggling with lenders for our customers as we have limited options and now that the banks are tightening the purse strings even further, we are losing deals. We are an independent dealership with about 35 cars for sale and will be ramping up to 50-60 cars this year.

We've been using an "outside F&I" department(company) and then have a couple CU and banks that we work with locally, directly.

Is the best option to cold call banks and CU or are these financing groups required to get solid financing options. I see dealers have hundreds of options for financing and we probably have 15.

Rookie question - are these companies like CUDL the best opportunities to add lenders?

We've been struggling with lenders for our customers as we have limited options and now that the banks are tightening the purse strings even further, we are losing deals. We are an independent dealership with about 35 cars for sale and will be ramping up to 50-60 cars this year.

We've been using an "outside F&I" department(company) and then have a couple CU and banks that we work with locally, directly.

Is the best option to cold call banks and CU or are these financing groups required to get solid financing options. I see dealers have hundreds of options for financing and we probably have 15.
Yeah, it's definitely more difficult for independent dealers to get lenders nowadays. Some credit unions won't even sign up new independents unless you're grandfathered in. That's why some independents buy a "cheap" franchise rooftop like Mitsubishi to get access to more lenders.

Shameless (but relevant) plug - our dealer group owns a finance company, Gateway Financial, that partners with outside independent dealers in 23 states: