• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Then what do you think that, what is differentiating one vendor from other, if its not pricing?

A couple thoughts.....

Transparency -- They should allow you to have at least read access to the Adwords, Adcenter, and any DPS accounts they use for the advertising. They should also link the Adwords account to a dealer owned Google Analytics account. And, for non-Adwords spend be required to use UTM codes for all clicks. You should not have to rely on the vendors one-sided reporting models that always makes them look good.

Customer Service -- If I ran 20 stores and was using 1 vendor, I would expect a DIRECT number to my support person, probably even a dedicated support person. Find out what a reps average client load is - if it is over 30 accounts, they are just churning you through the cookie cutter SEM they use. Good SEM takes time, knowledge, and quick "car guy" thinking. Think about this... this month ends on a Weds... new programs and incentives for most domestic OEMs and Labor day are going to be coming out on 9/1 (Thurs). Would they be able to get all your dealers programs, specials, banners, new ad copy, etc -- designed and up and running for the "biggest weekend of the year" sales event??

And yes, with that many dealers and I assume a huge spend - it should be flat fee.

Hello!

I am looking for a Digital Advertising Solution provider for US region for a group of 20 dealers, also i am seeking some help on how these people charge a dealer for the services rendered.

In particular the providers I am looking at are Dealer.com and C4 analytics.

Udit,

Just to clarify are you looking for a solution provider for an LMA group or Tier2 spend (all same make), or are you looking for someone who can help with a dealer group consisting of 20 nameplates/rooftops with different makes?

We work with several very sophisticated agency partners (full disclosure - they all use our predictive analytics platform) but in order to refer you and speak to their pricing structures I would need to clarify. The expertise and strategies for Tier2 are unique and there are only a few agencies out there who really "get it" on the digital side.

Udit,

Just to clarify are you looking for a solution provider for an LMA group or Tier2 spend (all same make), or are you looking for someone who can help with a dealer group consisting of 20 nameplates/rooftops with different makes?

We work with several very sophisticated agency partners (full disclosure - they all use our predictive analytics platform) but in order to refer you and speak to their pricing structures I would need to clarify. The expertise and strategies for Tier2 are unique and there are only a few agencies out there who really "get it" on the digital side.

Yes I am looking for a dealer group who have 20 rooftops and have multiple makes. It would be really appreciated if you can help me with that.

Udit,

Take a look at these providers, http://stringautomotive.com/Partners They are not a list of your typical big box solutions. The reason that I recommend these partners is that each has submitted their teams to an in depth training with String regarding conversion optimization and the application of machine learning and predictive analytics. Additionally, because the campaign conversion metrics we report through our DPS platform is untouchable by their teams, you can be certain they are humble enough to look at the data, make the necessary changes, and do right by your stores.

In regards to DDC and C4 - a few Dealer.com representatives for multi-store groups have been trained to view the multiple data points necessary to really push the envelope on digital and we see the results in our platform when the Account Manager is very engaged. I think you should request a strategy meeting with your proposed account manager and determine their capabilities. Conversion rates on PPC can double just because you have an account manager who is really looking to dig in.

As for C4, the feedback I've heard from mutual clients is mixed. I'm happy to connect you with other dealers who can help you weigh the pros and the cons. On the plus side, they are big fans of Google Analytics and tracking campaigns based on GA data. On the down side, they seem to request a very large, digital only budget.

I would also be remiss if I did not mention Showroom Logic as a valuable option. Showroom's Zip Driven technology uses registration data to hone and segment your new campaigns. Their original hypothesis for targeting model driven campaigns came as a result of work they did with a mutual client and the results were phenomenal.

Launch Digital is another team (sister company to Pinnacle and Dealer Inspire) who uses our platform to push the envelope.

Finally, a very off the radar consultant driven company who really, really, really employs advanced execution is Drive Digital. Anyone who has met Will Perry knows he really knows his stuff.

Lastly, as it relates to pricing. Anything but a flat fee is ridiculous. I think industry standard for management fees is somewhere between $600 - $1000 depending on the layers of digital campaigns that you are asking an agency to execute. Paying a percentage of your spend is unnecessary. String's advertising services flat fee is $695 for AdWords/$995 with retargeting. Zero % of spend. All of our agency partners will most likely fall in that same range. However, as you begin to build and market to custom audiences, there may be additional fees.

Lastly, I would caution you to walk into a relationship with any of these providers without already knowing a great deal about your market. Some markets do not have as high a digital propensity as others. You want to utilize an outside strategy and research firm to help build your media plan and budget split - (shameless plug here, I recommend you do that with our company). Reports like the one below can be generated for each model, each target zone, and can be shared with your agencies traditional and digital to put your best strategies to work.

Pandora_-_7_blog.png

If you would like for me to send you a custom report for one of your stores, just reach out. No charge. Just here to help.
And, as Ed points out above, Brian's report is super valuable for learning the basics of what you should be on the lookout for. In a nutshell, if you don't own your own AdWords and Analytics accounts and link them, you're flying completely blind.

Best,

Amy

Maybe I'm really missing something, but I don't understand why people make this stuff so complicated for basic search?
80% of results in AdWords comes from common keywords, ads, etc. We use automatic rules to auto-optimize campaigns every day. Once those are setup once there is much less ongoing work required. (And they truly aren't that hard to setup.) We would like to make a product around this but I'm not sure how we could justify charging dealers for something like that? Yet - maybe we should as the irony is the results are dramatically better than many PPC companies we have tried (ie PCG, haystack, reachlocal etc)

Google offers great conversion tracking, and we have recently been testing implementing Return on Ad Spend (ROAS).
Has anyone here worked with ROAS? It's crazy. If you get the stats work right you can directly track ROI. There's also some options for offline conversion tracking we are exploring.

// end ramble

Last edited: