• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Places Is Over, Company Makes Google+ The Center Of Gravity For Local Search

I can only see the results right now if I am in Google+ and select it on the left hand side. I still see the same merge issues that occur with Google Places, so I am curious if there will be an easier way to resolve this. Beyond that, how are they determining the Zagat star rating?

I like the integration with G+ layout, but I don't see it yet how it affects my G+ account. It would be nice if I could save places or place them into circles. That way I could get updates on the business I like. If it worked that way, it would be a nice place for dealers to announce deals. However I can see how some people would abuse the system and post deals every 5 minutes.

Insights:

It’s Finally Here: Chronicling the Plus-Places Merge | Mihmorandum
"....Read the message that Google is now displaying in the Places Dashboard carefully:
place_merge_message.jpg

Read that again. ”We hope to make it easier for our users to discover your business and share it…” NOT “we hope to make it easier for you, the business owner, to interact with your customers” or anything along those lines."

I can only see the results right now if I am in Google+ and select it on the left hand side. I still see the same merge issues that occur with Google Places, so I am curious if there will be an easier way to resolve this. Beyond that, how are they determining the Zagat star rating?

Kevin, I found this article that tries to explain the rating system.
https://support.google.com/local/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1723748&p=zagat_score

This particular article uses restaurants as an example. For other types of business, they offer this quote at the end of the article:
"When we don’t have enough user ratings on different aspects, we will just show an overall score. An overall score is comparable to a score in the primary aspect for a location, like food for restaurants."

The score for my dealership is a 21 out of 30, which puts us in the "very good to excellent" category.

Reactions: 1 person