• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google's Predictive Search

Does anyone know of a way to change google's predictive search results. We have a lawsuit that comes up as the top suggestion after our dealerships name, and we'd really like to stop reminding people. Any ideas?

I thought it is based on search traffic from the Adwords tool. Google auto fills with the most popular terms first; however, I doubt that most people are searching for your dealership and adding the lawsuit term. It may be a personalized result for you. Are you searching for the lawsuit a lot? Try logging out of your Google accounts and searching again or go to someplace like startpage.com and try searching for your dealership.

Total shot in the dark but... what if you created a highly probable searched microsites? Something like [yourdealername]sales.com, [yourdealername]service.com, [yourdealername]+[geolocation].com, etc

They probably will index under your name and show up so many times that if they get more relevant traffic that the lawsuit Google will offer it as a more relevant search.

Look at this ones we did for a client:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...nd&gs_upl=0l0l0l2657lllllllllll0&aqi=g4&pbx=1

Notice that Infiniti of Kirkland for Korean Speakers » Speak Korean? So do we. Come find the best Infiniti for your needs. and Infiniti Of Kirkland Service - Get your car, truck or SUV serviced at Infiniti of Kirkland have indexed very well under the dealer's name (duh!) but the purpose was that, to occupy their Google 10.

I just don't know yet of with time these sites will also appear in the predictive results due to getting traffic from showing under this dealers name searches.

SearchEngineLand.com has some great insights into this here: How Google Instant’s Autocomplete Suggestions Work. They note that "Freshness" plays a part. With that being the situation and there being some fairly recent news stories and YouTube videos indexing, my sense is it will get better in time.

What you want to make sure of is, you never write the words you don't want to see in a blog or other post. You wrote them once here and they are indexing. My gut is, you added to the 'freshness' and may have helped keep the phrase showing as a suggestion.

Reactions: 3 people
SearchEngineLand.com has some great insights into this here: How Google Instant’s Autocomplete Suggestions Work. They note that "Freshness" plays a part. With that being the situation and there being some fairly recent news stories and YouTube videos indexing, my sense is it will get better in time.
What you want to make sure of is, you never write the words you don't want to see in a blog or other post. You wrote them once here and they are indexing. My gut is, you added to the 'freshness' and may have helped keep the phrase showing as a suggestion.
Damn it! You're right. Don't I look like an ass. I guess I'll let time take care of this one.
Thanks Yago. I will consider your idea as well, but right now we have 16,000 indexable pages on our website alone, and the text in question isn't coming up until page 5 of google's results. I think Ed is right. Need to let it run its course.... {sigh}

Damn it! You're right. Don't I look like an ass. I guess I'll let time take care of this one.
Thanks Yago. I will consider your idea as well, but right now we have 16,000 indexable pages from a website alone, and the text in question isn't coming up until page 5 of google's results. I think Ed is right. Need to let it run its course.... {sigh}

That Infiniti dealer also has lots of pages... but Google will not index (most of the time!) pages on a website individually in the SERP. What you may want to try is having your website company grab a few of those pages with a common subject and create a 5-6 page Microsite, buy a domain with highly likeable searches for your own name, and then you have a great chance that Google will index that. Same pages, same expense since you already have the pages/hosting, just add the cost of a domain a a little formatting.

Last edited:
That Infiniti dealer also has lots of pages... but Google will not index (most of the time!) pages on a website individually in the SERP. What you may want to try is having your website company grab a few of those pages with a common subject and create a 5-6 page Microsite, buy a domain with highly likeable searches for your own name, and then you have a great chance that Google will index that. Same pages, same expense since you already have the pages/hosting, just add the cost of a domain a a little formatting.
Yag, I'm no SEO expert, but I do read a fair amount. You seem to be suggesting duplicating content on a microsite and most experts advise against this - STRONGLY. Here's one example: Top 9 SEO Reasons Against Building Microsites
6. Duplicate content

As mentioned in point #3 quality in-depth content is key for a website. The problem is that most microsites will try to re-purpose their primary sites content by rewriting it or taking a subset of it; causing the microsite to have thin content sets. Google in most cases will see this as duplicate content thus filtering either the microsite’s page or the main website’s page from the search results; in most cases it will not be the one that you want them to filter.

Yag, I'm no SEO expert, but I do read a fair amount. You seem to be suggesting duplicating content on a microsite and most experts advise against this - STRONGLY. Here's one example: Top 9 SEO Reasons Against Building Microsites

You are correct, copying the content will give you less SEO value but by no means will completely shut it off. We usually build them with both generic and unique content combined.

Most of the time Google will display what it considers to have the most value, so if you are trying to index against Autotrader... yes you need some hardcore SEO. To index against your own name, you can take lots of shortcuts.

However what I suggested was to take some existing pages from his 1600 page website (so delete them from the original WS) and aggregate several of these with similar content.