• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is the Internet Department Getting It's Share of the Advertising Budget?

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
I stated some of these views about a year ago and it drew some heated discussion. Not too concerned about being controversial, I thought I would reintroduce the subject.

For those that don't know me, I was the Internet Director at a large metro import store. The department was responsible for 70% of the new and used car sales utilizing 30% of the sales force and 20% of the budget.

Looking at NADA Data from 2011, the percentage of our advertising budget was actually pretty low:

MathWarehouse-pie.jpg

I doubt that anyone on this forum will debate that the internet is the most effective and efficient form of advertising ever made available to the automotive dealership. My question is why; doesn’t the internet demand a higher percentage of the budget? Maybe, why are we continually having to fight for our share?

I think there are three major reasons:

Comfort Level. Dealerships understand how to use print and electronic media. Over the years, they feel comfortable with it. I’m sure that most understand that TV advertising has become less effective with recording devices, NetFlix, and a thousand channel choices. Radio advertising is also less effective. We now have satellite radio, CD players, that hold 5 disks, and iPods. Dealers still have a love affair with print. It is pretty hard to mess up. You need a picture, brief description and a payment or price. The younger you are, the less likely you are to read a newspaper. I don’t know anyone that still subscribes to a newspaper. If newspapers hadn’t gone online, there might not be any of them left. Even the New York Times is in financial trouble.

ROI Reporting. I doubt anyone pays any more attention to the ROI report than I did. Like they say in the bayou, “if that dog don’t hunt, it don’t eat”. I had a reputation for being tight, even cheap, with the dealership’s money. Are the other advertising sources being put to the same level of scrutiny? We’ve all heard the old saying, “half of my advertising budget is being wasted but I don’t know which half”. Any time you question other advertising sources, you hear “branding”. If the majority of people are doing their research, online, won’t your internet marketing positively affect the store’s branding? The need for "Branding" is a keen concern for many on DealerRefresh. Is it about time that we approached ROI the same way for all forms of advertising?

Marketing and Processes. I spend a lot of time looking at dealership websites and their placement on third party display sites. I’m convinced that I can tell you who is selling cars and who isn’t. They say in internet circles, “he gets it”.

I amazed to see “Call for Price” on dealer websites and third party display sites. Do people actually think someone is going to call? If you have your cars listed at MSRP, do you think customers are going to get to the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] page on AutoTrader or Cars.com to see it? I was looking at some Chevy dealerships on AutoTrader. Only two stores had the price reduced by the rebate. If the customer sorts, by price, that puts the competition on the back pages. I’m convinced that most customers sort by price and many will check the box that excludes vehicles without pictures. I saw a dealer that was an Alpha store on AutoTrader but his listings were in the featured section. If a customer sorts by price, there were enough premium dealers to put his vehicles on the fourth and fifth pages. This store had one actual picture and no descriptions. How much more would it cost to have multiple pictures? How much more effort? Descriptions only take some time, effort and a little creativity. A VIN explosion is not a description.

At least once a year, I see the same old statistics when it comes to internet processes. We see that response times are often being measured in hours and even days. ISMs are more likely to send an email than to pick up the phone. If they do contact the customer, it is often “one and they’re done”. Few dealerships monitor their phone calls on a daily basis. Long term follow-up is until the end of the month.

If dealerships aren’t marketing their products and they don’t have tight processes, they are not going to have very successful internet departments.

A dealership that does actually “get it”, could cut their total advertising budget and sell as many or more cars and dramatically improve the bottom line.

Reactions: 5 people
Very good topic and one that is sure to get plenty of debate. The battle of “where should I spend my money” has been raging for years. Today it is a bit more complicated. Media is so fragmented today vs even 5 years ago. That being said we still need to follow basic rules of marketing and make sure we are targeting the right amount of in market shoppers and future customers. So that brings us to what percentage of the budget should go to internet vs traditional? This is tough and it really depends on the market size and what the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] parties are charging. The other consideration is what are we considering the budget? Most dealers separate their used car vs new car budgets. In many cases the new car budget must also take coop budgets into consideration. More and more coop will cover a few 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party sites such as AT, Cars, CarSoup, Edmunds but only for new car listings. Coop only covers the new car portion of paid search and a few select coops will cover rep management or lead management. In my experience the reason most overall dealer budgets are not balanced (internet vs traditional) is due to coop. Coop is NOT very digitally friendly unless you only want to run pre-roll and display. (I consider pre-roll and display an extension of traditional because it doesn’t calculate out like paid search and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] parties) If you look at the dealership’s overall budget new and used the budgets tend to be more balanced.

In our experience tradition advertising is still very effective. The key is to put measurement systems in place to ensure the spend is making an impact. Look at your web analytics to monitor web traffic during broadcast and radio flights and pull reports from your DMS to track new customers vs returning customers. Sure these methods are not 100% but they will give you indication of results. I don’t even need to look at when my client’s TV flights start I can see it on the web analytics. We also need to keep in mind that traditional advertising also furthers the dealership brand. This may not be a popular statement to a group of people that like to review analytics but it is real. I have experienced first-hand that elimination of all traditional media and reallocation into digital media does not deliver the results the dealer expected. I am sure we all have stories of dealers that are now 100% tradition that have done great but this is not the norm and from what I have seen it is not a direction I would recommend to my clients.

I am in the firm belief that brand is critical and will become even more critical. It’s pretty tough to establish a brand in the digital space. Consumers are treating the car buying process like buying commodities. If a dealer has a respectable brand solidified with a value proposition (loyalty program) along with good reviews, a customer typically is willing to pay a bit more for a car.

Of course this whole topic is pointless if a dealership doesn’t have tight processes in place to give a customer a great buying experience. However, cutting the ad budget will likely not have an immediate impact but in my experience, 3 months or maybe 6 months down the road you will notice the difference.

It’s pretty tough to establish a brand in the digital space. Consumers are treating the car buying process like buying commodities. If a dealer has a respectable brand solidified with a value proposition (loyalty program) along with good reviews, a customer typically is willing to pay a bit more for a car.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I had noticed a couple of nice looking Mazda vehicles. If someone is doing a search on AutoTrader or Cars.com, I don't think this is a brand that has much top-of-mind awareness. An import buyer could look at Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volkswagon and never think about Mazda.

I was the GSM of a store that had an in-house advertising agency. While I was there, I had time set aside every Wednesday evening, at the local TV station, to produce spots. Over the years, I wrote and produced hundreds of TV spots. I am not suggesting that dealerships drop electronic media. I do believe that all advertising should be evaluated the same way.

Once upon a time, traditional media told people what to do and they did it. Now, traditional media identifies an opportunity and people go shopping... online. The question isn't whether your customers are internet customers, 90% of them are, the question is what drove them to shop for a vehicle. In many cases, strong traditional advertisers are having their lunch eaten by dealers who know how to steer the motivated customers into their store instead.

I had a debate with the eCommerce Director for a large group that believes that only emails are internet leads. Phone calls are not internet leads even if they are sourced to your individual website or AutoTrader or Cars.com. He stated that "everything is internet". If someone calls on an ad that they saw on TV, Radio or the newspaper, what is that?
I have run into this several times recently, and the logic escapes me.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I had noticed a couple of nice looking Mazda vehicles. If someone is doing a search on AutoTrader or Cars.com, I don't think this is a brand that has much top-of-mind awareness. An import buyer could look at Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volkswagon and never think about Mazda.

I was the GSM of a store that had an in-house advertising agency. While I was there, I had time set aside every Wednesday evening, at the local TV station, to produce spots. Over the years, I wrote and produced hundreds of TV spots. I am not suggesting that dealerships drop electronic media. I do believe that all advertising should be evaluated the same way.

I would LOVE to find the magic formula to evaluate traditional media in the same way you measure digital but unfortunately it is nearly impossible. Tracking numbers on TV, radio and cable do little and we all know that. Who watches or hears a spot and quickly writes down a number?? I do have dealers who are very good at sourcing all leads and what we have found is that the internet shoppers are highly influenced by traditional media. (Poor newspapers not as much) Heck even DM pieces stimulate internet activity and leads. The tricky part is creating a culture of lead sourcing. Like I said, I have a couple of dealers who are really good at it and the info is incredibly helpful. What will not shock you is that the dealers that source leads also have the lowest CPL and CPS numbers on my client roster. We are able to eliminate waste and when you show a media vendor their "score" they will be happy to increase the weight of the campaign by decreasing the rate/increasing spots just to stay on the buy. GREAT negotiation!!

We also track web traffic and new customer counts vs recurring customers which give us indication if current messaging is stimulating traffic. Experience also shows that reaching intenders before they are in the buying funnel is helpful to establish brand recognition for the dealer.

Katie,
For any type of advertising, you need a hook, for it to be effective. I have always questioned the use of "institutional" advertising, trying to convince the general public that they should go to XYZ Motors because they are the "really nice guys". Honestly, I don't think anyone really cares and even less believe it. They want to know what you have and what you are willing to sell it for. It could be a discounted price, finance or lease payment or low interest rate. Consumers are only interested in "what's in it for me". Once you sell them a car, build on that relationship.
When you have a special hook, it isn't that difficult to figure the source. It will show up on the desk log as $199 Camry lease, $18,995 Camry etc..

DDavis, you are correct about needing a hook. The idea of putting out a pure brand ad out there is not the most efficient use of the dollars although some dealers still believe in it. "Why buy here" in combo with strong offers is the way to go. The idea of sourcing through price points is valid however we promote that dealers put their best offers in all of messaging to create a strong frequency for the offer(s) and consistency in the message. Sure you can rotate a spot or two but you mostly want to keep the message clean. Heck we put the same offers out there on the web, in the third parties, in our PPC, Display and Retargeting campaigns. The goal is to drive that message/offer home.

Sourcing is not a perfect way to measure the effectiveness of traditional media but it gives a fairly good indication if something is working. It has also been proven effective in optimizing campaigns.

Ultimately it is about the message, reputation and overall media mix of traditional and digital. At the end of the day if the dealer has a reasonable CPL and a good customer experience they will end up with a CPS that is profitable.

Reactions: 1 person
It’s pretty tough to establish a brand in the digital space. Consumers are treating the car buying process like buying commodities.

I agree it's difficult to establish a brand in digital. I think what's missing is strong traditional branding packaged with digital. There always seems to be a large disconnect between who is doing print/radio/TV and who is doing digital but only one side is done really well.

As far as treating the process like buying commodities, I think there's more that can be gained there. Look at the airlines or personal computers. It's a race to the bottom until someone finds a better way to compete.