• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Cost Live Chat Software

Hello everyone. I have been following this blog for a while, and thought I would join in. If anyone has any questions about Live Chat, I would be happy to share my knowledge. I have 3 years experience at running my Live Chat support company, and 25 years in the Car Business. A recent article was written by Car Czar Consulting that will give you their view of what they consider to be the top five companies currently providing service/software for dealer websites. Of course they had some great stuff to say about my company, as well as ActivEngage, ContactAtOnce, and OutSell. They also mention SiteLive, but didn't give them the best review. Here is the link, let me know your thoughts. CarChat24 Raises The “Ante” In Retail Dealer Chat To Include True 24/7 Chat Service | Car Czar Consulting

I don't recommend that dealers take their own chats, unless they have trained, dedicated personnel working in a BDC type environment. Scripts need to be developed that produce results (Leads, Appointments). If a dealer chat rep is just answering questions and not using scripts he/she will not get a good percentage of leads. The whole name of the game is providing a pleasant support experience for the site visitor while extracting their info, or setting an appointment. There is no point in having live chat on your site unless you have carefully planned how you will use it to gain leads and sales, and have someone available to take the chats. It can actually be a negative to have a live support icon, and not actually have someone there to pick up the chat. Just some food for thought. Nothing works well without careful planning and developing proven processes that are followed. Live Chat can be a great lead conversion tool if used correctly.

Last edited:
uuummm....Shareef, very well done but...the point her is to educate not promote "your product." However, about your comment on your comment about dealers answering there own chats, dealers aren't stupid they just lack in processes. I have many dealers that are extremely successful at answering there own chats. As a matter of fact if you tried to take them away they wouldn't let you.

Don't force 1 way it's not cool. Lets be here to get the dealers back when we can but offer them a choice and a solution. That's why we are all here talking about this. Different solutions work for different dealers. I have also spoken to dealers that I would not recommend chat to.

Based on your research of having a negative effect on site visitors with missed chats I agree completely. That is why we also offer a 24/7 solution. I believe most chat applications are indeed the same for the most part but having one application for your 3rd party chats and your website is valuable. Sorry, broke my own rule :itsok:

uuummm....Shareef, very well done but...the point her is to educate not promote "your product." However, about your comment on your comment about dealers answering there own chats, dealers aren't stupid they just lack in processes. I have many dealers that are extremely successful at answering there own chats. As a matter of fact if you tried to take them away they wouldn't let you.

Don't force 1 way it's not cool. Lets be here to get the dealers back when we can but offer them a choice and a solution. That's why we are all here talking about this. Different solutions work for different dealers. I have also spoken to dealers that I would not recommend chat to.

Based on your research of having a negative effect on site visitors with missed chats I agree completely. That is why we also offer a 24/7 solution. I believe most chat applications are indeed the same for the most part but having one application for your 3rd party chats and your website is valuable. Sorry, broke my own rule :itsok:

Hi Caoryan, I'm sure you are not here to promote at all lol. With that said, I agree that there are many dealers that have strong processes in place that can make chat work well for them. Based on my time in the business I have found that it is very difficult to implement processes accross the board to all sales reps. That is why we see so many BDC's now in our industry with dedicated staff that are focusing on getting leads and appointments. Your company has great software, and if the dealers that use it have an effective process that produces results, they are doing much better than the average dealer. I think that if a dealer can find a good chat company to outsource their chat they are actually better off. Dealers already have enough on their plate with all of the changes taking place in our business, and it would make more sense and be more cost effective for the dealers to do what they do best (Sell Cars).

Last edited:
Hi Caoryan, I'm sure you are not here to promote at all lol. With that said, I agree that there are many dealers that have strong processes in place that can make chat work well for them. Based on my time in the business I have found that it is very difficult to implement processes accross the board to all sales reps. That is why we see so many BDC's now in our industry with dedicated staff that are focusing on getting leads and appointments. Your company has great software, and if the dealers that use it have an effective process that produces results, they are doing much better than the average dealer. I think that if a dealer can find a good chat company to outsource thier chat they are actually better off. Dealers already have enough on their plate with all of the changes taking place in our business, and it would make more sence and be more cost effective for the dealers to do what they do best (Sell Cars).

You are right....I am called out! I am here to promote. I promote chat, processes, better living for car guys/girls, more income for all. Based on what I read you have more experience in the business than I am. However I study the market and online advertising like the bible. Here is how outsourcing can hurt your dealer that you may not have thought about. We all love list so here goes.

1) These guys aren't too busy. I go in dealers all the time and see guys sitting around and talking, smoking, cutting up, and goofing off. So I don't buy that they are too busy to handle leads from there website.
2) NO ONE I mean NO ONE can answer chats like the dealer can. Based on the millions of scripts we have the site visitor will ask a direct question and they want an answer right away. I don't care how well your BDC people are they won't know where the Kroger is compared to the dealer or if this car has something that isn't listed. You have to base your information off of there being accurate info on the site or web. That is cool most the time but we all know that there are mistakes on the site and web that will seriously cause problems.
3) I can understand outsourcing 3rd party leads maybe because the closing ratio is already low but i hear daily that our chats turn the best ROI and closing ratio. So if I was a dealer, would I want you to handle my best leads or less effective ones? I have always been taught work smarter not harder. Our websites are so special and probably our best weapon in the car business why send the people that are on there some where else?
4) I monitored phone calls for our stores when I was an Internet Director and I found that no matter how much training you do there will always be bad calls that your guys just screw up. The phones generate a ton of gross for the store but we don't shut them off or send it to a 3rd party. Why? If out sourcing is the way to go dealers should be doing that across the country like crazy.
5) MORALE - I am a big believer in allowing my guys to handle leads for many reasons but they need to know that people are out there searching for cars and still interested in what you have. By seeing these chats come in it gives the dealers that are really slow, hope. It's easy for us to sit in this seat and tell them what they should and shouldn't be doing but in the grand scheme of things they should be telling us. I meet vendors all the time that have never sold a car and have no clue what these guys go through. Sales is a fickle thing and if you take from sales people they get feelings of anger and frustration.

Hear me here Shereef, I am not saying you do it wrong I am just saying that chat in general needs to be a product with flexibilities. Options for the dealer. I do not believe in outsourcing but I have suggested it to dealers that miss a lot of chats. I would rather a dealer outsource and get more leads from there site than not use chat at all. That's pretty fair of me huh?

If they don't choose us I hope they choose you by the way

Last edited:
You are right....I am called out! I am here to promote. I promote chat, processes, better living for car guys/girls, more income for all. Based on what I read you have more experience in the business than I am. However I study the market and online advertising like the bible. Here is how outsourcing can hurt your dealer that you may not have thought about. We all love list so here goes.

1) These guys aren't too busy. I go in dealers all the time and see guys sitting around and talking, smoking, cutting up, and goofing off. So I don't buy that they are too busy to handle leads from there website.
2) NO ONE I mean NO ONE can answer chats like the dealer can. Based on the millions of scripts we have the site visitor will ask a direct question and they want an answer right away. I don't care how well your BDC people are they won't know where the Kroger is compared to the dealer or if this car has something that isn't listed. You have to base your information off of there being accurate info on the site or web. That is cool most the time but we all know that there are mistakes on the site and web that will seriously cause problems.
3) I can understand outsourcing 3rd party leads maybe because the closing ratio is already low but i hear daily that our chats turn the best ROI and closing ratio. So if I was a dealer, would I want you to handle my best leads or less effective ones? I have always been taught work smarter not harder. Our websites are so special and probably our best weapon in the car business why send the people that are on there some where else?
4) I monitored phone calls for our stores when I was an Internet Director and I found that no matter how much training you do there will always be bad calls that your guys just screw up. The phones generate a ton of gross for the store but we don't shut them off or send it to a 3rd party. Why? If out sourcing is the way to go dealers should be doing that across the country like crazy.
5) MORALE - I am a big believer in allowing my guys to handle leads for many reasons but they need to know that people are out there searching for cars and still interested in what you have. By seeing these chats come in it gives the dealers that are really slow, hope. It's easy for us to sit in this seat and tell them what they should and shouldn't be doing but in the grand scheme of things they should be telling us. I meet vendors all the time that have never sold a car and have no clue what these guys go through. Sales is a fecal thing and if you take from sales people they get feelings of anger and frustration.

Hear me here Shereef, I am not saying you do it wrong I am just saying that chat in general needs to be a product with flexibilities. Options for the dealer. I do not believe in outsourcing but I have suggested it to dealers that miss a lot of chats. I would rather a dealer outsource and get more leads from there site than not use chat at all. That's pretty fair of me huh?

If they don't choose us I hope they choose you by the way

LOL looks like I struck a cord. Our company also offers our chat software to dealers that want to take their own chats to be competitive, but I still don't recommend it. I have seen the end results and most of the time they are not good. We measure closing ratio's for Phone leads, Email leads, and Appointments, and unless the dealer has someone using BDC style scripts and sticking to them the results are very weak. If you have worked in the business in a management capacity, then you know how difficult is is to install new processes and have them followed 100%. Like I said before, your company has great software, and if a dealer wants to invest the time and effort they can make it work, but most of the dealers I have spoken to failed to produce meaningful results because they thought it could be handled just like a phone up. There needs to be a lot of thought and process development that takes place before the first chat is taken, if they want to be successful with it. There is a lot of great info on the net dealers can use to prepare themselves to be effective with inhouse chat. The question is how many dealers will spend the time and effort to train their personel to handle chats effectively, monitor the results, and put forth the extra effort needed to manage it effectively?

Last edited:
Shereef - part of the rules on these forums state that we do not appreciate promotion of one's own product. Please take that into consideration in your future posts. I have only glanced through your posts so far, and it doesn't look like you've crossed that line yet. I figured I'd just throw this out there as a precaution ;)

Shereef - part of the rules on these forums state that we do not appreciate promotion of one's own product. Please take that into consideration in your future posts. I have only glanced through your posts so far, and it doesn't look like you've crossed that line yet. I figured I'd just throw this out there as a precaution ;)

Hi Alex

Thx, I will do my best to be helpful to everyone reading my posts, but if I ever cross the line let me know....I am new to blogging, so I am open to any guidance. :hello:

Shereef

I am using that really annoying business card slide down thing. See it at: Used 2007 Saab 9-7X I6 For Sale Near Syracuse NY (slide-down is delayed 45 secs)

The crew at CaO did the art on it to make it look connected to my site. CaO gives you tools to manage that slide-down chat card. You can set the delay before it appears and the place where it appears. Right now, my avg visitor is on a page for 35 seconds, so I set the annoying slide-down-thingy for 45 secs so it smacks the person that's landed on a unit of interest. CaO has many other adjustments to control this card (like number of times viewed, then donot show).

As of this am, after an excellent ROI review of CaO, I am now ready to tinker with an fixed embeded chat button and compare it to the annoying slide-down-thingy:). (let's hope the White Hat method beats the Black Hat slide-down-thingy )

Hi Joe,
I was reading your post and thought I would offer some advice. The business card is what is considered a proactive chat invitation. If you have reporting that shows where your chats are originating from you will see that the business card probably accounts for 70%+ of your chat activity. You don't want to stop using it because your chat volume will drop 70%+. You may even consider increasing how fast people see the proactive chat invitation to reduce site abandonment, and improve your chat volume. I recommend that you set the first greeting to 10 to 15 seconds, and let them remain up at least 15 to 20 seconds. I know I am an unknown on this form, but my company also uses proactive chat invitations, and based on our past 3 years of data, if you follow the advice I am giving you above you will increase chat and lead volume on your website. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts on this. I think if you check with ContactAtOnce they will agree with what I am saying. Based on what I am reading you are probably missing a lot of chat opportunities from the visitor that spends 35 seconds on a page if you have it set for 45 seconds. I know it has been a while since you posted the above info, and you may have already figured this out, but maybe someone else can benefit from this info.

Shereef

TY Shereef,

Contact at Once warned me to not turnoff the annoying business card slide-down thingy (I love calling it that). I love it because it drives the marketing stats higher... way higher!!

But, top level numbers alone donot make a business run. Month end is near and I'll be reviewing what impact chat has had on the "other" lead generating forms (goal: produce a net results summary).

After that, I will review if the annoying business card slide-down thingy has impacted the quality of the visit. I'll look at time on site, pages viewed and visitor loyalty to look for any clear change.

Currently, our shoppers are looking at 13pages per visit, with a "chat initiated" rate of well under 1% (no suprise here). So, 99% of our shoppers are not digging the 10+ pages of the annoying business card slide-down thingy. If you've read my past threads, I am always fighting to convert the SILENT MAJORITY, the stealth shopper. They are 99% of any sites traffic and are maddeningly SILENT

Our average visitor is on a page for an average of 35 seconds, so, I've set the annoying business card slide-down thingy for 45 seconds to make it appear only on a page that has the viewers attention that is "above agerage" length. The volume of chats is down, but the quality is up. The jury is out on this attack plan.

Chat update.

It's been one week since I added CaO's 24/7 Answering Service. Great ROI here. >85% of the CaO staffed Ans Svc. chats get full contact info (name, ph# & email). That's a higher rate than my sales teams efforts. Very disiplined and scripted replies, CaO Answering svc takes charge of the chat early and postures it's self very well for a positive chat experience for all.