• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Cost Live Chat Software

Hi Joe,
I was reading your post and thought I would offer some advice. The business card is what is considered a proactive chat invitation. If you have reporting that shows where your chats are originating from you will see that the business card probably accounts for 70%+ of your chat activity. You don't want to stop using it because your chat volume will drop 70%+. You may even consider increasing how fast people see the proactive chat invitation to reduce site abandonment, and improve your chat volume. I recommend that you set the first greeting to 10 to 15 seconds, and let them remain up at least 15 to 20 seconds. I know I am an unknown on this form, but my company also uses proactive chat invitations, and based on our past 3 years of data, if you follow the advice I am giving you above you will increase chat and lead volume on your website. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts on this. I think if you check with ContactAtOnce they will agree with what I am saying. Based on what I am reading you are probably missing a lot of chat opportunities from the visitor that spends 35 seconds on a page if you have it set for 45 seconds. I know it has been a while since you posted the above info, and you may have already figured this out, but maybe someone else can benefit from this info.

Shereef

Yes I agree with Shereef. His numbers are about the same as what we have found. The drop down business card thingy actually does really well. I would suggest it within the first few seconds and govern it to only show on specific pages. Home page is a biggie of course. As long as you have buttons on your site and you present the fact that you offer chat with the drop down business card thingy then once they cancel it out they know to look for a button if they want to chat later. The trend is not how many dealers are adding this chat to their websites but how many people are actually starting to chat with dealers. It has grown tremendously just in the past year I have been here.

Yes I agree with Shereef. His numbers are about the same as what we have found. The drop down business card thingy actually does really well. I would suggest it within the first few seconds and govern it to only show on specific pages. Home page is a biggie of course. As long as you have buttons on your site and you present the fact that you offer chat with the drop down business card thingy then once they cancel it out they know to look for a button if they want to chat later. The trend is not how many dealers are adding this chat to their websites but how many people are actually starting to chat with dealers. It has grown tremendously just in the past year I have been here.

Hi Ryan

What Joe needs to do if he wants to get the most out of your chat software is do exactly what you mentioned. Get the first card out fast on his home page. If he has it on every page, I could see how that might be a problem. I wouldn't recommend sending the card more than 2 or 3 times max. If he speeds up the first one he will see a great volume increase....:)

Shereef

You're reccomending the home page with a 2x3 time max? I couldn't dissagree with you more. But I'll try it.

1st, the HomePage is the "fly-over" page. No one give's a r*ts *ss what's on the front page. They're on their way to find a ride, not the home page. Next, I've blown my 33 to 50% of my impressions right out of the gate? I can see how a fast chat drop in on the front page can "plant a seed", but my avg visitor looks at 13 pages. (not all dealer sites have this average, we just have a lot of units forsale).

I'll try it and update you on my findings.

Hi Joe

The 2 or 3 times max is the total amount of times I think it should be served per visitor to avoid irritating them. The fast home page card shoud help your numbers and save you some site abandonment. Check with ContactAtOnce for their views on this, but this is what I have seen work best with our live chat clients.

Shereef

You're reccomending the home page with a 2x3 time max? I couldn't dissagree with you more. But I'll try it.

1st, the HomePage is the "fly-over" page. No one give's a r*ts *ss what's on the front page. They're on their way to find a ride, not the home page. Next, I've blown my 33 to 50% of my impressions right out of the gate? I can see how a fast chat drop in on the front page can "plant a seed", but my avg visitor looks at 13 pages. (not all dealer sites have this average, we just have a lot of units forsale).

I'll try it and update you on my findings.

Joe,

Yes as Shereef said limit how many times they see it to 2 or 3 times. I believe people are landing on your home page for many reasons but many have a personal uncertainty that you can answer with chat to gain that site visitors trust. If someone wants directions or just your times of service/sales. Whatever it is you should try to engage with that site visitor by way of chat, phone, or email to bring them to your store and provide them with the information they need. Maybe it's just a test to see what type of dealership you are. Who knows! I have seen some of the craziest questions to dealers by chat but if handled properly it becomes an appointment that leads to well a sell.

Let me know if you want me to change your settings, Joe.

Caroyan,

About 20 hours aqo, I placed the drop-in chat on the front page and reduced the drop in settings to 3-4 seconds.

CHAT EXPERIMENT RESULTS: 34 chat requests total in 20 hours.
6 are from the home page. 3 are for vehicle requests, 2 are ck'ing credit app status.

I'll give it 24 more hours. So far my marketing instincts are validated. The home page chat drop-in experiment does not produce results strong enough to justify the annoying drop-in thingy on the home page.

Last edited:
CHAT EXPERIMENT PART2:
Regarding the chat dropin delay. I had it set for 45 seconds, then drop in. You recommended a 3-4 second delay, then a drop in AND limit to 2-3 drops.

We had the 34 chat requests with the new settings. This is not significantly higher than an average Monday (or other weekday).

Of the 34 chats, 25 we're made from vehicle detail pages. I'll say it again, 25 were from vehicle detail pages. Shoppers look at 2,3,4,5 units. Cut the chat dropin at 2-3times... are you nuts??

Your solution to become less annoying is understood, but because Contact at Once console gives me the ability to tailor the chat experience, IMO, the smart play is to GO FISHIN' and be very very patient with the worm on the hook and WAIT till the fish swallows the worm!!!

All this means is keep the chat drop-in hidden till the right time, then drop it in. Don't drop the chat until they land on a page that catches their interest. Wait until you've got your fish interested in the bait, then annoy them!

If you don't have chat now, you're missing the boat. This up just came in....

Page: http://www.usedcarking.com/inventory/details2.asp?vehicle_id=K817

Transcript:
[12:29:42 PM]<Sales Rep>Hello, I am Carl, May I have your 1st name and how may I help you?
[12:30:47 PM]<Customer>hey i am Susan and i wanted to know on the the buick lacucerne, does this car have heated seats?
[12:31:22 PM]<Sales Rep>Hold please Susan and I will check
[12:33:07 PM]<Sales Rep>Susan, I don't believe so usually the heated seats are with the leather interior this has cloth Do you need heated?
[12:33:53 PM]<Customer>I would like the heated seates
[12:34:49 PM]<Sales Rep>Sure I can look around and see if we have anything Is it buick only or are you also interested in another make possibly?
[12:36:06 PM]<Customer>i am intrested in the buicks only
[12:36:31 PM]<Customer>with all the stores you have you only have 2 used buicks?
[12:37:17 PM]<Sales Rep>Ok I would have to check we usually have more give me your email and I can get back to you soon
[12:38:20 PM]<Customer>call me back instead. i am at 315-555-5555 i live in hannibal. my name is Susan (x'd out last name). i want to buy a car like yesterday
[12:38:45 PM]<Sales Rep>Sounds good Susan I will get right back to you thanks

Last edited:
If you don't have chat now, you're missing the boat.

Joe,
You hit the nail on the head! The amount dealers can increase their website lead conversion by is amazing. Dealers that use it themselves effectively, or outsource it to a good chat support provider, have a huge advantage over their competitors. I have seen dealers double or even triple their leads with the right chat system in place. I am looking forward to seeing more of your numbers...

Shereef

The software I used at Walser was called ActivaLive, which from a technical standpoint is far more flexible in regards to integration to other applications and had a more aesthetically pleasing interface than the others I evaluated.

It's not automotive specific, but might be worth a look if you're looking for something with good reporting, and potentially integrating it into other campaigns (ex: banners, widgets) in the future.