• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Need help Windows 7 and Reynolds.

Bill how did you get RR to run on windows 7? Two of our machines crapped out today and when I tried to install it on the two New Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit machines it wont even load the installer when I click install. Any help would be appreciated as the two machines are our service writers machines.

Good morning, I would have gone for 7 Pro. There are some upgraded items in networking, as I understand. 32 bit is a must. I used the online ERA download for the newest version. It may kick up a screen that asks if you want to look for compatibility. I had this and clicked yes. The issues that I ran into were not 7 related, but settings related. While R&R doesn't yet support the product, they were very helpful in correcting the settings issues for me. There may be some issues in F&I screens printing. I'll have to ask my F&I guy if it is sorted out. Otherwise, 7 has been a pleasant upgrade for us. All other vendors are working easily with it. Hope that helps.

Off topic from ReyRey....

As we are moving more machines to Win7, we're finding difficulties with 64 bit machines on the 64 bit version. It seems that if you have 64 bit Dells that are older than 2008, Win7 64 doesn't like them. These are the same machines that ran Vista 64 beautifully. Some bios upgrades have helped with this, but not all. However, ADP DMS loves Win7 64 bit and IE8, but it doesn't like Win7 32 bit with IE8..... :thinker:

We're also discovering that RAM-intensive applications such as pencil tools don't do well on IE8. Firefox, Safari, and Chrome own IE8 for these applications. We've also found that IE8 doesn't play well with heavy JAVA applications such as image uploaders inside inventory tools.

I am unsure if the same is true for R&R, but for ADP, they require the Pro version of any Windows OS to run. The Home Editions are missing vital networking capabilities that are required for the DMS to operate properly. The installer detects the version of OS and will not even install if it is Home anything. This applies for XP, Vista, and 7. Perhaps this is why Mazdadoc is having an issue with the Home Premium PC's his service advisors are using?

This is one area where purchasing PC's from places like OfficeMax, Best Buy, etc becomes confusing. Most of the PC's they sell on the shelf are Home Edition something or other, and the Professional (or for 7 the Ulitmate) edition need to be upgraded or ordered. Be careful. I would always recommend using the Pro edition in an business environment, even if you do not now need the additional capabilities, in time you will.

As for 64bit, installing 32 bit programs can sometimes be an issue, other times it does it fairly well. On 64bit machines there are two Program Files, one is for 64bit programs and the other is for 32bit (x86) usually the system will appropriately place them based on the installer information. Generally speaking, 32bit programs will run fine on 64bit machines, the problems come from trying to use 32bit drivers on a 64bit machine. I have no idea what era is for R&R, but have you tried installing in compatibility mode?

As for 64bit, installing 32 bit programs can sometimes be an issue, other times it does it fairly well. On 64bit machines there are two Program Files, one is for 64bit programs and the other is for 32bit (x86) usually the system will appropriately place them based on the installer information. Generally speaking, 32bit programs will run fine on 64bit machines, the problems come from trying to use 32bit drivers on a 64bit machine. I have no idea what era is for R&R, but have you tried installing in compatibility mode?

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in responding, I think you will find that the 64 bit is your issue. I am running 7 32 bit here, with no issues. I know that I was told ahead of time that ERA doesn't work with 64 bit. Unless you are running a high end system, the 64 bit doesn't really help that much, at least what I have read. I have found ERA does kick up a screen that says it doesn't apply to the operating system being used. 7 is pretty slick, it asks if you want to used "recommended settings" and if you click yes, it flashes a couples times and poof, it works. I did one yesterday.

We're running ERA, AutoBase, have run LMCC and others with no drama. Don't forget the compatibility mode function, but I haven't needed it except for ERA and it seems to pick it up automatically.

Not sure if that helps, but I am running them here with good results. I'd agree with Pro versions, just stick with 32 bit.

Bill

Last edited:
Re: Need help Windows 7 and Reynolds. *** SOLVED

Ok, this works for sure.... I have Windows 7 and R&R 6.0.4 running perfectly.
Using Windows XP mode, first off...
This link explains it way better than I can, so, here it is --> Using Windows 7 Virtual XP Mode To Run Incompatible Applications | Megaleecher.Net

Link on my desktop and it launches much faster than I expected (dont even notice the extra step)... just copy and paste the link from the xp mode applications afterwards....

I've been using Windows 7 with R&R for several months with no real complaints. The only issue I have run into is with the F&I printers not supporting a USB hookup. Do you know how difficult it is to find a PC nowadays with a Parallel port? If you call R&R and tell them what you are trying to do, you would think you said something bad about their mommas. All they say is, we don't support that and we don't know when we wil. I was able to get one PC to work this way but the newest one we had to basically trick the system and set it up as a Network printer and hook up with a parallel cable. Very frustrating....

Hello guys!

I had to update a few boxes and went for 7 Pro 32 bit. R&R had issues with loading on 64 bit machines, but my comrade in our other store told me today that he is also loading on a Win7 64 bit now. So there is progress.

Also ran into the USB issue, It would recognize the adapter, but it had trouble with the old (very) R&R pin printer.

The parallel card might be a fast solution, I ordered some later Dells for F&I and added the parallel ports on principle.

In general, Win7 has been excellent. I base that on the fact that I hear little about the new boxes other than how nice it looks, and being a Mac guy, it amuses me on all they copied, but who cares if it works.