• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

One reason I woundn't use Black Book Value on my website (right now)

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
The one reason I wouldn't use Black Book Trade Value on my dealerships website. Come on, get with the program.

Dealers, I encourage you to review your website "plug-ins" to be sure they're responsive. If not, I would remove it from your mobile website altogether until they get with the program. Or better yet, find a service that's in 2015.

You agree?

Why aren't more plugins responsive or at least adaptive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 23
Does scientific proof actually exist showing plugins sell cars? At least Black Book tries to give the consumer something, but the rest are just lead forms....can't you make one of those for free within your own website?

What really sucks are iFrames :thumbdn:

Granted, technologies have not converged enough to incorporate service schedulers as best they can. And there are some new pricing disclosure laws that some website companies need to catch-up on, but really.... 2015.... iFrames???

iFrames can still be done right, but they suck in general. Not many better solutions out there though, unless they're going to give you API calls for their datastreams.

Also, this is more often than not a theme issue, not a Black Book issue. I'm sure they have a mobile version of their form somewhere, but the theme has to determine which form to load (yes, that's adaptive). iFrame content as a rule is not responsive, you need pretty specifically tailored CSS to make them work properly. They expect a hardcoded width and height to function properly. Easy enough to solve on a one-off basis, but when you're letting clients add their own iFrames good luck.

Yours is done properly and, because it's a Dealer.com site, it's adaptive.
They do a proper mobile website instead of a responsive one.
tumblr_lb9mccNLk01qb0p6i.gif

LOL...

I wouldn't get too stoked. The next guy here will tell you that you should have a responsive website ;)
The reality is that as long as the content is there and the website works, most users don't care what technology is behind how it got sized properly for their phone.

Some people say Google cares, but it's quite evident that Google wants a mobile ready website - they advise that you use responsive, but they don't appear to be penalizing anyone unless their site does not scale to mobile at all.

Reactions: ed.brooks