• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Our "Up" system is jacked up!!.......what do we do??

Obviously his manager is not going to look at an up system since he does not believe in one. He needs to be sold.

Place this in front of your manager!

Dear Mr. Manager,

I am going to give you the magic formula for getting more production out of your salespeople. This secret I am about to share with you will have a major impact on your future as a manager. I need you to be open with what I am about to suggest. Others who have implemented this secret have taken their stores to whole new levels.

I want you to start a rotation of your sales force for one month and witness what it will do for you. Here are some key benefits.

1. Evenly distributes opportunities amongst your salespeople. Prevents one person from taking too many customers and not properly following up with them.
2. Sales people will work their prospects more diligently since it may be the only one they get for the day.
3. You will find that the bulk of your customers will be logged.
4. You can now track true closing ratios for salespeople and will be able to easily identify those who need help.
5. Outbound phone activity will increase since those who are not up should be focused on calling customers to schedule appointments.
6. By doing a better job with first time shoppers, you will find that they are not leaving your dealership to submit an Internet lead.

Please call me if you have any questions on the best way to implement this process.

Respectfully,

Jerry Thibeau
CEO
Phone Ninjas
585-749-2015

Reactions: 4 people
There's company called "The Next Up" (Home | The Next UpThe Next Up).

They offer a great solution to the issues you are having and more importantly allows the salespeople to manage their time better. They can explain it better, so I'll try to do it quickly, the system monitors the floor traffic and alerts the salespeople when it their turn to grab the next up. Because the system secures a salesperson opportunity to get an up it allows the salespeople to make calls and do other tasks as they wait for "The Next Up". For some reason the dealerships I worked at put the BDC at the back of the showroom with no windows, so time sent in there cost you floor traffic. Do you make calls or sit near a window to watch for the up bus? I demo'ed the product some time ago and thought it was an awesome idea and it would have relieved all the problems with trying to grab ups or all the salespeople racing to the shopper's vehicle and jumping on the hood to claim the up. The system also provides real accountability for the floor up traffic the dealership receives and sees which salespeople are going through ups at an alarming rate without closing deals. Some salespeople "pre-qualify" the ups and decide to turn them loose without following the road to the sale and you'll be surprised with who burns through tons of ups. Plus the system secures the salesperson's place in line so that they can properly work with their existing up and not just up jump.

Do a demo and see what they have to offer.

What we did last month was call them...if we saw a red truck down the street we'd say "UP red truck!" on the hopes that they'd pull in. Now we are told to not do that and whoever is the first one to their car is going to get the up. We've already, on the first day of the month, got salespeople who are mad at other salespeople for "skating" them. I can see a problem of three people running up to a car waiting for the customer to open their door as well.......is a customer gonna like that right off the bat?? What are some suggestions to what we do?..Our Sales Manager says to use the Honor System, but some of the other salespeople say "There ain't no honor in the car business".......what the heck should we do??.......I suggested rolling dice in the morning and we take turns and the Sales Manager says he will not do that.

I love this store already!
We need more hungry salespeople like this in the industry!
I loved the point and all the mind games that came along with it!~

Mauricio, I will share with you how to trump all of them in my next post!

Usually, when you say "Ups System" that means the salespeople are on a list. You wait on people as your name hits the top of the list. That is where "Up" comes from. Who is "up" (on the list). It is often who arrived first and put their name on the list followed by the next person that came in and so on. You have the top guy on point and the next waiting in the wings. The salespeople that didn't get an UP on the previous day, go to the top of the list.

This rushing a car, really upsets the customers. It is totally unprofessional. I have no respect for a staff that would allow it and less for one that would encourage it. You don't need a pack of salespeople standing in front of the dealership. I would find something for them to do and they didn't usually like it.

I totally agree with Yago on the honor thing. Don't say "skater". Call it what it is "a thief". I don't care who you are and how talented you have become, you can not build a team out of a pack of thieves.

Yes, Rushing a car is a big no no.

What we did last month was call them...if we saw a red truck down the street we'd say "UP red truck!" on the hopes that they'd pull in. Now we are told to not do that and whoever is the first one to their car is going to get the up. We've already, on the first day of the month, got salespeople who are mad at other salespeople for "skating" them. I can see a problem of three people running up to a car waiting for the customer to open their door as well.......is a customer gonna like that right off the bat?? What are some suggestions to what we do?..Our Sales Manager says to use the Honor System, but some of the other salespeople say "There ain't no honor in the car business".......what the heck should we do??.......I suggested rolling dice in the morning and we take turns and the Sales Manager says he will not do that.

Mauricio, How long have you worked for this store?
How many cars do you sell?

It wont matter where you go, they're problems at every dealership.

If you want to stay working at this dealership I can help you.
If your head and attitude is jacked up, the first thing you need to do is get refocused.

The last question: Is the pay plan worth staying and do you see yourself running the dealership in the future?

So where do you stand now??

I knew you were in California before I Googled it, why is this such an issue in Cali? I've seen more NextUP systems in Cali than anywhere combined this seems to be rampant out there.

NextUP integrates with our CRM tool so I'm sure they do with others, it's a nice system and encourages down-time to be spent on follow-up.

I wish you luck my man as I was once in your shoes!