• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pimp my Comment Generator

GREAT OBSERVATION CLIFF! I totally agree!

example: The Used Car King TV - Used 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sdn LT w/2LTNear Syracuse, NY
Vehicle Comments:
This 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt has the sought after LT w/2LT trim and also has the upgraded Sport Appearance Pkg! You can do it! Only $245p/mo with ZERO down*! Hot options are: traction control, bluetooth, rear spoiler, xm radio, antilock brakes, premium ride suspension, and onstar. Buying a small car like this 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt is just plain smart. Trade in that tired ol' car, you're going to get 33 MPG on the open road and with only 14,098 miles, you can expect to enjoy years of trouble free use. *Call us for more details
I like the round up idea. The CG output will read better if it said: "...you're going to get 33 MPG on the open road and with less than 15k miles, you can expect to enjoy years of trouble free use."

Should I use "15k miles" or "15,000 miles"?

Thoughts?

This may help: Show Numbers as Numerals When Writing for Online Readers (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)

Reactions: 1 person
Great digging Yag!!!

The correct answer is not "less than 15,000 miles" or "less than 15k miles". The correct answer is: "...with only 14,098 miles".

Thnx again!!

Now one thing about pricing (not miles, but related to writing numbers in the ads); you should check this Psychological pricing although I have seen something similar @ Ralph Paglia's blog (so ti is possible that my guys saw the idea there).

We have been recomending to our dealers to use 14000 instead of 13995 because in a Craislist search for example customers will search for whole value ranges ("i want a Corolla in between my $12,000 and 14,000 budget). A car priced at $14,000 will show in any search for example from $12,000 to $14,000 but also on any search from $14,000 to $16,000 wherereas the car priced at $13,995 would have shown only in one of the searches.

You are smart enought that I'm sure can run a test and see if hits or page views improve in some sites if you do that.

Now one thing about pricing (not miles, but related to writing numbers in the ads); you should check this Psychological pricing although I have seen something similar @ Ralph Paglia's blog (so ti is possible that my guys saw the idea there).

We have been recomending to our dealers to use 14000 instead of 13995 because in a Craislist search for example customers will search for whole value ranges ("i want a Corolla in between my $12,000 and 14,000 budget). A car priced at $14,000 will show in any search for example from $12,000 to $14,000 but also on any search from $14,000 to $16,000 wherereas the car priced at $13,995 would have shown only in one of the searches.

You are smart enought that I'm sure can run a test and see if hits or page views improve in some sites if you do that.

Do people search price, car or both? I tend to believe that most people will put in a car and then sort price, lowest first. I'm sure that AutoTrader or Cars could shed some light on this.

Do people search price, car or both? I tend to believe that most people will put in a car and then sort price, lowest first. I'm sure that AutoTrader or Cars could shed some light on this.

Well you can always add more twists to things but the point being of this thread about how to display the price, the hole numbers will show the cars in both low and high end people's pricing searches while the traditonal 13995 price type will only show in one.

The idea behind this concept is when you price your inventory at even numbers, example $13,000 vs $13,922 you'll increase the number of times your inventory is included in a search result on 3rd party Inventory listing sites like AutoTrader and Cars.com. Consumer searches for a Volkswagen Jetta between the price of $10,000 and $13,000, your listed Jetta for sale at the price of $13,000 is returned in the results. The next consumer searches for a Volkswagen Jetta between the price of $13,000 and $15,000 your same listed Jetta for sale at the price of $13,000 is returned in the results. Had you car been priced ar $13,992 - it would have not been included in the first search do to being listed at $922 more. Have the price of $13,000 increasing your exposure and possible click to VDP. The VDP is where it all happens. The more VDP views the more sales you get.

Well you can always add more twists to things but the point being of this thread about how to display the price, the hole numbers will show the cars in both low and high end people's pricing searches while the traditonal 13995 price type will only show in one.

yagoparamo, "For instance, pricing a vehicle at $9,995 instead of $10,000. The idea is that when the average consumer will look at the price of the car and think $9,000 when in actuality the car is nearly $10,000." That makes sense. Maybe, you can teach old dogs new tricks.

I still want to know how Joe can make a program that generates descriptions. I wouldn't know where to start. I built a library of descriptions for my new cars and wrote each used car individually. It is very time consuming.

The idea behind this concept is when you price your inventory at even numbers, example $13,000 vs $13,922 you'll increase the number of times your inventory is included in a search result on 3rd party Inventory listing sites like AutoTrader and Cars.com. Consumer searches for a Volkswagen Jetta between the price of $10,000 and $13,000, your listed Jetta for sale at the price of $13,000 is returned in the results. The next consumer searches for a Volkswagen Jetta between the price of $13,000 and $15,000 your same listed Jetta for sale at the price of $13,000 is returned in the results. Had you car been priced ar $13,992 - it would have not been included in the first search do to being listed at $922 more. Have the price of $13,000 increasing your exposure and possible click to VDP. The VDP is where it all happens. The more VDP views the more sales you get.

"The more VDP views the more sales you get." VDP is the goal. You have to know how to accomplish it and being willing to put in the work.

As an Internet Director, most of my compensation was on a per unit basis. I have never felt comfortable pricing the vehicles because of the conflict of interest. I would constantly show the GM and Used Car Director where their vehicles stood in the market.

My question is, do customers search AutoTrader and Cars.com using a price from $13,000 to $15,000 or do they enter a vehicle and sort from the lowest to the highest? This is how I judged where we stood in the market. It is also how we justified our pricing to customers.

"The more VDP views the more sales you get." VDP is the goal. You have to know how to accomplish it and being willing to put in the work.

As an Internet Director, most of my compensation was on a per unit basis. I have never felt comfortable pricing the vehicles because of the conflict of interest. I would constantly show the GM and Used Car Director where their vehicles stood in the market.

My question is, do customers search AutoTrader and Cars.com using a price from $13,000 to $15,000 or do they enter a vehicle and sort from the lowest to the highest? This is how I judged where we stood in the market. It is also how we justified our pricing to customers.
When I worked at Autotrader.com, the data showed many more shoppers entering a price range rather than reversing the sort to "Low to High". This may have changed, but I doubt it.

Here is a link to the original post that prompted much of this discussion. It was written by vAuto Performance Manager Jasen Rice and includes some actual data that is missing from later posts written by others. "I Don’t Know if I Would Ever Price a Used Car at $14,995 Again".

I still want to know how Joe can make a program that generates descriptions. I wouldn't know where to start. I built a library of descriptions for my new cars and wrote each used car individually. It is very time consuming.

I feel your pain DD. I was doing this manually back in 2001 on a Excell sheet. To keep it fresh, I'd add more and more rows of comments and copy-paste it together. After a while, I wanted it to speak to the shopper rather than just gettin' in done. That's when I built the "model" that you see below.

Here it is DD:

example: The Used Car King TV - Used 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sdn LT w/2LTNear Syracuse, NY
Vehicle Comments:

This 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt has the sought after LT w/2LT trim and also has the upgraded Sport Appearance Pkg! You can do it! Only $245p/mo with ZERO down*! Hot options are: traction control, bluetooth, rear spoiler, xm radio, antilock brakes, premium ride suspension, and onstar. Buying a small car like this 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt is just plain smart. Trade in that tired ol' car, you're going to get 33 MPG on the open road and with only 14,098 miles, you can expect to enjoy years of trouble free use. *Call us for more details

CG BreakDown:
The [brackets] you see below are a call to insert data. Data is pulled from anywhere I can find it. From the VDP, from my pre-built comment lists, from where ever you can find interesting info. Here is the example:

Vehicle Comments:

This [year][make][model] has the sought after [trim] trim and also has the upgraded [insert special pkg if equipped]! [if unit is < $25,000, insert random ra-ra fluff to setup payment]! Only $[payment calc]/mo with ZERO down*! Hot options are: [Matches from Hot Options List]. [insert vehicle segment fluff comment]. [if MPG >28, insert high MPG comment] [if miles <36000, insert low miles comment] *Call us for more details

Nuttin' to it, just a lil' bit of science and a lil bit of Uncle Joe's marketing magic. ;-)