• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reputation Management Comp Buying Likes?

The idea that a dealer doesn't have time to "DO" their own social and reputation management (even SEO) so they hire a company is all well and good - don't do it yourself if you know you've just going to jack it up. HOWEVER they must spend time finding the right company to portray their brand and to control the digital face of their dealership.
In a perfect world, dealers would have a full in house staff to do these things, but if they are not willing to appropriate the resources, a marketing partner most match the values of the dealership. I'm sure there are dealers out there that have no issues with buying likes, they may think it's a "good" idea - and there are companies out there that will meet their expectations. However there are also companies that believe in integrity and interaction through great content.
I think as social cues become more tied to every piece of the internet, the quality of followers will impact a dealer even more. What happens when the Google Zoo attacks Social?
... and I have to pass along this tweet regarding this thread from a lurker:
lurker coment.JPG

Reactions: 1 person
Hi everyone…yes, this is an interesting case study for B2B and we plan on using it ourselves in training. In testing various types of Facebook ads (we always like to test on our page first) in prep for NADA, we decided to do a promoted post for an upcoming educational webinar. Since we have overseas followers, we were trying to see if could get both national and international attention for the post. Our largest fan base is in the US but we do have a fairly evened out following in other countries where we have done business or have business partners that would be interested in the webinar. As you have seen, the “international” attention included getting hit by spam on our page (heavily). We always delete jibberish/spam but we made sure we didn’t remove the real ones like Greg’s and Ryan’s.

The Indonesian followers came from a group of fans from one of our old development partners that is based in Indonesia, India and other countries. Years ago we asked them not to like our page once we started seeing them on it and this is the first time we’ve seen this kind of activity occur in over 2 years. As you can see, none of our other posts have had this happen so it had something to do with the FB ad test we ran. Again, another reason why we test everything on ourselves and never first on our clients!

We ABSOLUTELY agree with all of you that it is QUALITY over Quantity. We have seen really great results with dealerships and geo-targeted Facebook ads, as well as promoted posts, sponsored stories and now the new deals paid ads (as you guys have already said) – in all cases we help our dealers reach local audiences. We don’t run spammy games nor do we buy likers for dealers. We always urge our dealers to grow their liker base locally.

As everyone knows, marketing is always about constantly testing new things and it is never an exact science in the world of social media. We are very passionate about taking care of our customers and partners and we are sorry this Facebook ad gave anyone the impression to the contrary. Please feel free to call me directly at 206-707-3320 if you want to discuss.

The idea that a dealer doesn't have time to "DO" their own social and reputation management (even SEO) so they hire a company is all well and good - don't do it yourself if you know you've just going to jack it up. HOWEVER they must spend time finding the right company to portray their brand and to control the digital face of their dealership.
In a perfect world, dealers would have a full in house staff to do these things, but if they are not willing to appropriate the resources, a marketing partner most match the values of the dealership. I'm sure there are dealers out there that have no issues with buying likes, they may think it's a "good" idea - and there are companies out there that will meet their expectations. However there are also companies that believe in integrity and interaction through great content.
I think as social cues become more tied to every piece of the internet, the quality of followers will impact a dealer even more. What happens when the Google Zoo attacks Social?
... and I have to pass along this tweet regarding this thread from a lurker:
View attachment 1457

I think the socializing social media for a business has few benefits and is a lot harder to do than most people think. I have 60+ people in the office and 100+ out there doing stuff and I end up doing it myself. Most of my employes care about their job but not so much to be in touch with everything that is going on in the company (how could they). So other than the owner high manager doing it I don't see a solution.

Other than...

I no longer see social media "social" for a business. I don't think my clients want to see much of who I'm because for that I have my personal Facebook which some have joined. My business FB should be purely about business engagement (new car clinics, new car incentives, new car releases, etc) and be used to augment your SEO by linking your SM with your website.

SEO+SM+WB is not an un-social tactic. The job of social advertising is to carry messages to clients that want to find them (not pushing) so adding and linking content does that.

Social media doesn't have to be Facebook, in 2013 Social media has to be your website. facebook is a close network that doesn't share data (it doesn't index) that wants to use the info from your client's likes to sell them other products (possible from your competitors).

Hi Eley - I assure you, we do take our partnership with GM and the reputation management of their dealerships very seriously. I’m sorry that this incident makes you feel that we do not and I would be happy to discuss your concerns further. Please feel free to reach out to me at 206-707-3320 or [email protected] You can see more background on the promoted story here: http://http://bit.ly/VM86uf

Hi everyone…yes, this is an interesting case study for B2B and we plan on using it ourselves in training. In testing various types of Facebook ads (we always like to test on our page first) in prep for NADA, we decided to do a promoted post for an upcoming educational webinar.

The Indonesian followers came from a group of fans from one of our old development partners that is based in Indonesia, India and other countries. Years ago we asked them not to like our page once we started seeing them on it and this is the first time we’ve seen this kind of activity occur in over 2 years. As you can see, none of our other posts have had this happen so it had something to do with the FB ad test we ran. Again, another reason why we test everything on ourselves and never first on our clients!

So Erica, you all were preparing for NADA 2013 back on April 29th 2012? Because according to FB like stats that was your most popular week and since your most popular city is Jakarta I guess you all were doing that testing back then too? Am I reading that correct?.... oh, and you all happen to be most popular with dealership employees age 18-24?

Digital Airstrike FB info.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hi everyone…yes, this is an interesting case study for B2B and we plan on using it ourselves in training. In testing various types of Facebook ads (we always like to test on our page first) in prep for NADA, we decided to do a promoted post for an upcoming educational webinar. Since we have overseas followers, we were trying to see if could get both national and international attention for the post. Our largest fan base is in the US but we do have a fairly evened out following in other countries where we have done business or have business partners that would be interested in the webinar. As you have seen, the “international” attention included getting hit by spam on our page (heavily). We always delete jibberish/spam but we made sure we didn’t remove the real ones like Greg’s and Ryan’s.

We ABSOLUTELY agree with all of you that it is QUALITY over Quantity. We have seen really great results with dealerships and geo-targeted Facebook ads, as well as promoted posts, sponsored stories and now the new deals paid ads (as you guys have already said) – in all cases we help our dealers reach local audiences. We don’t run spammy games nor do we buy likers for dealers. We always urge our dealers to grow their liker base locally.

As everyone knows, marketing is always about constantly testing new things and it is never an exact science in the world of social media. We are very passionate about taking care of our customers and partners and we are sorry this Facebook ad gave anyone the impression to the contrary. Please feel free to call me directly at 206-707-3320 if you want to discuss.

OK, you tried something kind of edgy and got caught. No problem, sometimes we all need to stretch things in digital media to see where the next steps are. Got that.

Now to come here with the study in Indonesia thing and to think that was going to fly... that is brave to the point of madness.

Hi Eley - Haha - no NADA planning that long ago. City and Popular week don't correspond on the public insights and from what we can tell - "Most Popular Week" is buggy. If you look back at that week (April 23-29)- there is one post with only 8 likes and the most popular cities that week were Atlanta, Scottsdale and Seattle (see image below) .

Now, as I said in my post....the Indonesian fans started years ago and only seemed to oddly “activate” with this FB ad (we also cross referenced and many of them were friends of likers and not even likers). We have fan bases all around the world - as we promoted our page through a lot of global networks, partner companies, contacts, friends, family, etc. One of our co-founders was born overseas and as a large tech company many of our developers, including our head of development, are originally from foreign countries and/or still live there.
We wouldn't advocate a B2C retail business doing the same at all – for 99.9% of retail dealerships, they rely on customers coming onto the dealership floor (or within delivery range) and for those dealerships we always promote locally and grow their dealership base locally. We do not advocate buying likes or engagement outside of your targeted market, nor is it part of our business model. For us, we are B2B with a growing number of international relationships and AN is international, which is why we opted to promote an educational webinar to both US and non-US followers.

The largest percentage of our FB page likers are from the US, however, they aren’t concentrated in any one city like they are in Jakarta, which is where one of the dev companies is located. Jakarta is a massive sprawling city much larger than any US city and one of the largest cities in the world. Any national brand that does management in the US can tell you that it’s hard to have many large US city concentrations due to the fact we have so many cities! As an example, we have an office in Scottsdale but a lot of our employees live in Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe or other “cities” – so it’s tough to have a concentration in any one city in the US.

FB_Stats_April_29.jpg

Erica, I by no means want this post to be an attack on a specific vendor, but an open conversation about the outlook of our industry on social media and what dealers need to do when selecting a company to portray their digital image. We all know there are those out there that will sign anything without looking into it and dealer with whatever come and there are others that will dig to the center of a company's foundation to look for skeletons.

I think one of the biggest questions in this post is why the sudden up tic in page likes within a day or 2 before the post that "went spammy"? Where did the outburst of likes come from? We can see on the DAS FB page there is only an average of under 8 likes, with the exception of 3 "spammy" post in 2 months.

I understand how if feels when you believe deeply in the company you work for and it comes under attack. I work over 100hrs a week building a department with my own hands. When I have to handle the bad posts that seem to have gone viral, it hurts my heart. But I have to remember all of the steps of the processes I have in place to handle the situation. They are there to prevent having me and my dealer out there looking like a wounded dog fighting a loosing battle.

This brings up another question, why all of the deleted posts, hesitations and skirting of issues? We love to have venders speak up and tell their side of the story around here. We support those who are honest and don't insult our intelligence. Though this was an ambiguous post where only a few thought they knew the company involved, Erica stepped to the plate and confirmed the origins. This has to be commended, even if we don't all agree with the approach. Dealers, vendors--how would you handle this situation - whatever you see it to be- if it were your site?

Kelly - thanks for the commendation! And I'm glad we aren't in a situation where we did something wrong - just something that looks fishy, but wasn't! Phew! I don't consider it a losing battle at all! In fact, like I said in my first post - I find it really interesting for a B2B brand that is looking to bring in international followers/community. There are definitely some lessons we learned early on that are still showing up and reinforcing what we learned. #ProTip: Have social media policies for your partner companies, especially ones in cities that have 28 million people! :)

We promoted the post with Facebook promoted post feature that is available to anyone and everyone. If you aren't familiar with this option, you CAN'T geotarget, but again, we were ok with that as you can read about in my other posts. What I learned after my original post was we put more into the promotion through Facebook than we usually do with the other types of ads we run - which is why over 70k actually saw (those are the "impressions" you pay for with promoted posts on Facebook) the post in their newsfeed/sidebar. We didn't do anything "edgy" @Yago...but we knew it would be somewhat interesting due to the international contingent of our current fan base. (As you can see from Kelly's original post, we didn't get a page liker spike, just a spike in "people talking about this".) Again, the largest concentrated percentage of likers of our page is the US.

As best we can tell, the outburst of likes came from the friends of friends of our Indonesian followers....Indonesia and a lot of other developing countries are heavy in the black-hat tactics it was assumed we employed, but I assure you we did not. I'm open about our contingent of Indonesian likers we have from years ago (read other post about that) and our guess is there are some connections of those people to some of the spam accounts that need to like/engage with lots of accounts (done automatically through computers) so it can't be pinpointed which companies they are paid/not paid to work with and so the accounts look "legit" because they interact with multiple pages. It's crazy that it's a business! I mean, who falls for that?? Or spam emails - the same thing - why?! How do these companies stay in business? So weird. Sorry...I digress...this is why I'm not so active on DR! Haha...

As for the deletion of the spam posts....that's a philosophical point. We prefer to delete spam. Real comments whether positive or negative - we do not delete. Thus Ryan/Greg getting left up on that post, but for the spam posts? They just look weird - you can't read them...one literally said "dude I like to party" with some jibberish before it. As a dealership, I wouldn't want that kind of spam on my page - some lewd and some just jibberish. I would delete it on my dealership's page and I stand by that decision of our company and believe that a dealership does not need to leave spam on their page - I don't feel that is a reflection of their opennness or transparency. If someone sprayed graffiti on you dealership would you leave it for all the world to see, in an effort to be open and transparent? I mean if it was really cool and mural-like, maybe, but I'm guessing 99.9% of dealerships would paint right over that graffiti! Now, Deleting real comments - that's another story - we don't advocate that and you can see we didn't do that in this case either.

I don't feel we have hesitated or skirted any issues. As soon as I heard about the post, within an hour I called Kelly directly to reach out, which I do feel is a best practice for a dealership, as well - to handle situations offline, as well as publicly. (Btw, have any of you talked to Kelly on the phone?? She has a beautiful voice - Kelly - as a sidenote, you should do voiceover work!) If anything, this situation has made me even more proud of my company because we can take a situation like this and show the world there was nothing weird about it AND get some additional training for our corporate FB ads team, as well as for B2B consulting!

Kelly, I do 100% agree with you, dealerships need to really understand what they are getting when they partner with a company, and I do believe the dealership should talk with the company about let's say a situation like this - because again, we can be painted to look like the villain, when in reality there is nothing further from the truth. Also - talk with our customers!! Heck you may or may not believe what I say, but I would hope you'd believe the dealerships that work with us. They did their homework - they did their due diligence. As did our OEM partners - they did REALLY thorough due diligence, investigating and talking with existing customers! All of them have full access to all of our financials, as well - so if something "shady" were going on, they would see it quick!

I think there is a perception that we are promising dealerships "massive engagement" or "gzillions of likers" or just signing them up for vaporware - not the case. I would be happy to take any of you on this thread and any of you lurkers through a full presentation of what we do (in a purely educational/non-pitchy way)...so you can see, we are a people company first and foremost. What we do isn't sexy/glamorous and "hidden" from our dealers...we do the heavy lifting of social and reputation. One of our largest value props we offer is time savings for the dealership. We are SUPER transparent with our dealerships on everything we do for them and how we do it. It's not magic or secret and we don't guarantee a ton of new likers, crazy engagement or perfect 5 star ratings across the board with 100 reviews per site - no one can guarantee those things and that's when you should be wary. There is effort and team work involved in all of it. In fact - Kelly, Kevin and Eley - since you guys are the most passionate, I would love to have you down to our Scottsdale office to meet the 100+ team members dedicated to Social/Reputation and get a chance to talk with them. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised that we are a whole bunch of people who work really really hard for our dealerships! (And c'mon - It's not warm where you guys are! Ok, Eley - yours isn't so bad, but it's going to be 77 in Scottsdale on Wednesday...heck, I'll come with you - I'm in NY and it's FREEZING!!!)

I'm really thankful this happened...while this was a case that wasn't what it appeared, it reminded me there are really committed dealerships out there looking to better all of their fellow dealerships for no gain of their own...which is why Jeff originally started DealerRefresh and should be really proud of it. It's why I started reading DR when I was at my old dealer group and how Jeff ended up at that dealer group! (Haha...sorrryyyy.....) You guys are champions for dealerships and I think that's awesome...what you do for your dealerships makes you part of the very small and savvy 10% of dealerships, but what you do for your fellow dealer makes you part of the 1%.

Reactions: 1 person