• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reputation Management Comp Buying Likes?

Oh my gosh - I just saw this after it posted...I had no idea it was THAT long when I was writing. It seemed WAY shorter (Ok, maybe not "way" but shorter...)! :o Sorry for the post of epic proportions...a wise woman once told me "less is more" - that is why she is the wise one out of the two of us! Heh heh! (Oh...and I got my very first DR "like"!! I kinda want to frame it!)

I got an email from Digital Air Strike today with a video testimonial from a dealer. DAS says Jupiter Chevrolet has been their customer for a year and talks how they doubled their average star ratings and tripled Facebook fans and how their social media links dominate their Google search results.Here is what my curiosity found in order of how these sites ranked in a Google search for "Jupiter Chevy"

jupiterchev.com - no links to reviews in top menu, only inDAS tool bar at bottom -
Top 3 reviews on DAS tool bar - Edmunds - 12.13.12 % stars.Yelp 7.06.12 4 stars. Google 6.06.12 - Excellent.

Google - 69 Reviews - 23/30 rating - Latest 5 reviews = 6months, 6 months, 7 months, 7 months, 8 months, 1 year

Dealer Rater - 10 Lifetime reviews - not certified - 3.7/5rating - last review - 10.1.12

Yelp - 5 reviews - 3.5 stars, 5 latest reviews = 11.23.12 1star - 7.06.12 - 4 stars, 6.12.12 - 5 stars, 4.05.12 - 4 stars, 8.02.201 - 4stars

Cars.com - 3 total reviews - 3.3 out of 5 stars. 12.18.12 -5 stars, 7.07.12 - 4 stars & 7.02.12 1 star.

I'll stop there. Cause really that is it, they haven't had a Google review in 6 months, in fact the last 3 months this dealer has only gotten 3 total reviews.

On the Facebook page for this dealer you have a landing page saying LIKE our page to win an iPad Mini. they have 335 Likes, and you all claim to have tripled that in a year?

Facebook Page tabs -
Reviews - links to a page with: "We're sorry but there's no reviews at this time, check back later."
Special Offers -links to a page for a buy 3 tires get one free offer
New & Used directs to their website with a Instant savings offer - , i was looking for inventory!
You Tube - links to an ad from last years Super Bowl
Likes - doesnt show the most popular city, but the age group is 18-24??

Engagement on the FB page is non-existent, I barely saw anything liked more than 1 or 2 times. And post are the typical "I pay a vendor to do that for me" post, nothing is related or talking about the dealership, its community, or anything connect to the dealership. There is nothing there that would engage someone to want to LIKE and check the page out every now and then.

This isn’t about this dealer and I am in no way bashing them, yet I certainly hope they take a hard look at this. If a company is going to boast about doing great things for dealers, you would think their marketing company would find a better example. Heck, they even said “•Doubled their average dealer star ratings across all the key review sites like Dealer.com,Cars.com, Google+ and Yelp!” – Their site is a Cobalt site, not a dealer.com site. I am sure they mean DealerRater.com. But how do you even get that wrong. Those are not very good results, not even close.

I am really shaking my head, I am afraid there is more and more of this happening than dealers really know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hi Eley - I'm rushing out the door for a flight, but I'll send you the case study after I land later today for Jupiter Chevrolet so you can see why that information was put in the video. And again, please feel free to reach out to me directly - I'd be happy to discuss your concerns about how we support our dealerships. My cell is 206-707-3320. I land around 11 and head into meetings at 1, but will be in the car for about an hour!

Let me first point the finger at myself. I remember talking about this subject 2 years ago at Digital Dealer, when I asked folks why paying someone to put up cute quotes and funny pictures on their Facebook page made any sense? At that time, multiple social media solutions were being sold as the new "hot item", and many dealers were rushing in to buy them because they felt pressured that they must "check" that box and feel comfortable that they were meeting their social media requirements... Most of them had no idea of what they were paying for, and much of what was being done on their behalf was downright silly. Our group has handled social media in-house from the beginning, and we have been far from perfect, but we have watched our efforts closely and worked to see what works and what does not (and without buying likes, buying reviews, etc...). It continues to be a work in progress, and we are certainly not the best.

Dealers like Eley Duke have been very successful because they get involved when they hire an outside vendor. They read the reports, they look at what is being done on their behalf, and they ask questions when things don't make sense. There are too many times that dealers blindly trust their vendors, and if they do not understand what is being sold to them, they fail to ask questions. Nothing drives me more crazy when dealers ignore their common sense when they see things like Eley is pointing out - AND they continue paying for it.

Even worse, what really drives me crazy is when your current social media strategies far exceed some of these outside solutions, and then GM mandates you must still buy one - as you are penalized by all of the other dealers that have no social media strategy...

I want to be clear that I am not singling out social media vendors, as this applies to many other solutions out there as well (don't even get me started on SEM solutions...). On behalf of DAS, this has got to be a painful time, and I would hope it is a learning situation for them as well as for other dealers.

I tip my hat to Kelly Wilson, Eley Duke, AND Erica Sietsma for having this conversation - it benefits all of us in the industry...

Hi Eley - I'm rushing out the door for a flight, but I'll send you the case study after I land later today for Jupiter Chevrolet so you can see why that information was put in the video. And again, please feel free to reach out to me directly - I'd be happy to discuss your concerns about how we support our dealerships. My cell is 206-707-3320. I land around 11 and head into meetings at 1, but will be in the car for about an hour!

Erica, I appreciate that you are addressing the conversation and glad to see it cause some vendors will not. This is a good conversation and discussion and I am glad Kelly brought this to everyone's attention. I am not attacking DAS or Jupiter Chevy, its the issue that I am addressing and dealers need to be aware of, you all just happen to be the culprits this time.

I have to be honest with you, a case study? I did my own 5 min case study on what you were promoting you did for Jupiter. I am not doubting your claims to improve their star ratings from 2 to 3.5 and triple their likes from 111 to 335 - but come on, that's the best example you have to promote? Its the fact that this is probably one of the most horrible examples I have ever seen of someone's product performance being used to promote a solution.

This dealer is barely getting reviews, none on Google in 6 months and only 3 reviews total in the last few months, and you all are promoting this. That's like little Johnny coming home bragging how great his grades are and how much he improved beating his chest. To only have his parents open the report card to find out he did improve, but from a F- to a D.

Then you all are are praising your solution helped this dealer go from 111 Likes on FB to 335..... in ONE year?? This dealer would be better off running a $5 a day Facebook CPM ad within 10 miles of their store to gain likes. Say if you are giving away 6 iPad Mini's a year, 1 every 2 months for likes. That's $2,750. Plus what you are charging the dealer to manage their FB page that has no real engagement. There are 235,000 people on FB over 21 within 10 miles of Garland TX. At $5 a day with a FB ad, you are only spending $1,825yr and promoting the dealer to thousands of people locally and grow this dealers FB page likes with people who want to engage, not just win an iPad! I would say the iPad Mini giveaway is doing nothing but getting the wrong likes. The DAS example here is really poor. And its not about the number of FB page likes, its quality, its engagement by the Likes base.

I got to tell you, I don't buy the reasons and excuses you have posted after digging into this a little. You all need to find a good strong stick, because you all have stepped right in a pile of it.

@Kevin Frye I'm totally with you on this. There are a lot of vendors taking advantage of unsuspecting dealers. There are dealers who turn a blind eye and just pay anyway. And having a "solution" blessed by GM is the ultimate charade. I too did my own checking on DAS dealers over the last few years and came to the same conclusions outlined in Eley's findings. (Kudos to Eley, especially about the FB ad budget getting way more results than giving away iPad minis - #awesomesauce dude!)

IMHO The facts are these:
1. Suspicious "likes" show up on DAS Automotive News Webinar announcement on Facebook.
2. They get caught by those of us geeks who know more than the average bear about FB.
3. They respond to comments with a lame excuse that they were "victims of spam bots". (When you spend as much time as I do in the Social space, you know this is simply hogwash. Perhaps if DAS spent time in the space, they would know that excuse was silly)
4. Now this "case study" proves they deliver a good result? Me thinks not.

My humble advice is to come clean. Admit you did it and move on. It's way better than to keep digging a deeper hole.

Hey All - Thanks for all the great back and forth! As an FYI - the Jupiter Chevy thing has not been in the past year, we are talking the last few weeks for the trip in fans! Which is why engagement is still low - we are just starting to bring up that liker base! And we can definitely talk more about why we sent out their video and information on a call - I'm loving the passion! Again - you guys are the model dealerships and I salute you. I definitely stand by what we do and of course, like I have said, I'm happy to go into more detail as to why I do. At this point, I think the readers of this thread are through with my epic posts - haha! :) I LOVE typing - I'm pretty fast at it - but I'm totally open to doing a group call - let's hash it all out - concerns? Questions? I'm here for you - no need to speculate - at least get a 360 view and then make up your minds - right? Fair and balanced. :) As one caveat - I'm connected via FB and even though I have my settings set up to immediate me alert me - it's not happening. I believe this is bc of my FB integration. (My older DR login was tied to my MileOne email so I couldn't retrieve password and went for FB route) Since I'm traveling right now, I may be a bit MIA for a period - not ignorin'! Thanks all! Just PM me and let's set something up! Love it!

Brainstorm: NADA! Duh - let's meet up there!! Also -for you Twitter lurkers, you are invited too and those of you that don't share your company's on DR (which, am I the only one who thinks this is weird?!), you can ALSO come. I don't discriminate. Even if you do work for a pseudo-competitor, one day, we could all be working together - weirder things have happened in this industry! There is a "social" lounge just down from our booth on the aisle. Sunday afternoon anyone? I could also do Saturday afternoon, but not too late. I think this will be great - let's be truly social! The whole goal of the online is to convert into a true offline relationship, right? Maybe we should start an email thread? Or Google Hangout? Heh heh...My email is ericaATdigitalairstrikeDOTcom (not sure if there are bots on here...) so email me if you want to be a part of the great outsourced debate and let's get this party started!

As this thread was started about the Social side of things, I wanted to show the impact of some strategies on SEO and customer experience. This was found by our friend Brian Pasch as he was putting together the final meeting of the Summer 2013 Automotive SEO Study (which I was proud to take part in). I'd love to hear some feedback as it's the best way to better our industry.