• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Review Management Stress Test

Doug, the problem doesn't lie in the negotiability of our product, it lies with our methods. Real estate is negotiable and yet real estate agents are seen to be fairly trustworthy. Their national association even made a word, REALTOR, trademarked it, and after 60 years it caries a degree of trustworthiness and professionalism that must of us would kill for.

I'm in agreement with Ryan, transparency is our friend. As much as the old school folks want to keep customers in the dark, transparency will win out. Dealers that embrace the internet and transparency will win customer trust in the long run.

You are negotiating through a realtor to an individual and not directly with the source.

There have always been more honest people, than crooks, in the car business. As long as the crooks exist, our reputations will continue to suffer. I assure you the old school is alive and well in Phoenix.

You are negotiating through a realtor to an individual and not directly with the source.

There have always been more honest people, than crooks, in the car business. As long as the crooks exist, our reputations will continue to suffer. I assure you the old school is alive and well in Phoenix.
Doug, I understand that, as a customer (a home buyer), you are negotiating through a real estate agent and not directly with the seller. That agent and your agent both are fiduciary agents of the seller. As a buyer you are dealing with a seller and two professionals that both work for the seller AND most folks seem to feel pretty good about their transactions. The Realtor association seems able to hold it's members to, at least minimum, standards.

The quasi criminal element in car sales can't can be condoned in this day and age. It has been a small minority for a long time but the transparency of the internet will drive the last nail into the coffin.

There are way too many folks that are reputable and honest in this business to let a few criminals drag us all down. We have an opportunity to reinvent ourselves and change the public's perception of us. Don't let the opportunity pass us by.

Do you think the regulation and licensing of Realtors makes a difference in the perception?

So many dealers have untrained & unprofessional people out talking to customers.

I also think the iconic drunk, disheveled & dishonest salesman vs the polished helpful Realtors all over TV don't really help overcome the common mistrust.