• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds closes modem access?

I understand the need for security measures but... this extremelly looks to me like RR is trying to control-and make money-on who and how dealer's systems are used. Shouldn't the dealers control that?
Arkona and ADP have so far done pretty similar moves towards security with much less firction. Their systems work well, they are easy to set up, they actually have instructions and guidance on setting them up, etc, etc.

Matt,

Thanks for you help on this. Does all Reynolds and Reynolds clients use the Eralink interface? This would mean the Ip address would be found in the same places for all dealerships? I am trying to find an easy way to have dealerships locate the correct IP address of the Reynolds box so after a successful VPN type connection we could telnet to their box. Any other ideas out there?

@iceman101

To find the IP Address of the DMS from Eralink Application:
  1. Open the Eralink application
  2. From the toolbar click Setup->Communications
  3. Select "Windows Sockets"
  4. Click Setup button
  5. IP Address will be listed under "Host:"
As an alternative, if you want to write a batch script (or otherwise) the retrieve the IP Address the information it is saved in a WIC file.

The path for this file is:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\My Documents\ERALink32\Sessions\Session1.wic

The IP address is found on the line Host="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Can I just say this whole modem cut off and who shot John stuff is very confusing to most of the dealership staff that will be affected. For example, ISM managers whose website feeds suddenly disappear because this notice went to someone in the office.

I am trying to figure out a plan for our sister store that is on Reynolds. I help them with all their online sources and this is where the vendors get our new inventory feed. Our dealership is not sending anyone customer information only inventory feed but I guess we have to figure this out ourselves anyway. As much as I have issues with ADP, this is one of my first experiences with Reynolds and it really doesn't settle very well with me. I believe our letter was less than 30 days notice... in a month with two major holidays no less. My notice has been even less than that.

Do you think Reynolds will reimburse us for each day of lost advertising and the revenue we may lose by not having our inventory online?

Depsite who, what or why... my question is why do these DMS companies act as if they are the big bad sheriff of the wild west? Almost all my interactions with either DMS company starts out as, "hey look at this it's great". But in the end I feel more like they should have said "you take and you'll like it and if you don't we don't care". I sometimes feel like the comments we get from a special finance customers that only qualified for a green Grand Am with a million miles on it.

Yes, I expect the DMS companies to protect the data - that's part of what we pay for it. But to be rude with the dealership about the process is crazy... all we want to do is sell cars. Take it up with the vendors that might be a problem... or write some hi-tech code that will lower the chance of the problem...

Here's a great idea... send a letter with a real explanation, one that the average person can understand, give actual examples of how to proceed or how to work around it without coming across like it is going to cost a fortune (what better way to make a controller throw the letter in the trash can) and give somebody a little time...

But then again that would be working with your customer in mind... I don't think the "big two" DMS companies can do this... at least I haven't seen it at our dealerships lately.

:(:rofl:

Rick,

That is pretty good--I always knew you were worth all the money! :)

Steve at autobase.com is working on a self contained tool that the dealer can download and that will create and run the script automatically BUT---

Howcome isn't RR providing an easier transition? Hasn't 2009 been hard enought as it is that we now need to battle internally to sell cars?!

@LarryBruce I'm told that RCI is only viable if you have more then 150 R&R Dealers... otherwise it is cost prohibitive... is this valid.

No not necessarily, however the number of dealerships that are affected certainly plays into our prioritization of your application.

If you're a vendor please get your application in that stars the process. No matter how long it is going to take, the faster your application is in the faster you can get certified.

Thanks,

Larry Bruce (@pcmguy)

I understand the need for security measures but... this extremelly looks to me like RR is trying to control-and make money-on who and how dealer's systems are used. Shouldn't the dealers control that?
Arkona and ADP have so far done pretty similar moves towards security with much less firction. Their systems work well, they are easy to set up, they actually have instructions and guidance on setting them up, etc, etc.

Each business must make their own determinations on business decisions and the level of risk they are willing to take with their dealers.

If we really wanted to profit from this we would keep the dealership from being able to do it at their level too.

If the dealership chooses to send data on their own around our system then, we no longer have any liability and we have to assume that the dealership as taken all the necessary percussions and data sharing agreements are in place for them to feel comfortable enough to do that. This is the easiest most cost effective way to allow the dealership to make this decision.

If you want R&R to make a determination on the integrity of the vendor, minimize the risk and put the proper data sharing agreements and security in place then we must be allowed to do that on our terms.

All there is no ulterior motive or sinister plot. If you're a vendor simply go through the process, let us know what data you want, what you intend to do with that data and what you data security policies are and we will get you certified as quickly as we can. If vendors would like to pay 10X more we will hire more people get them trained as quickly as we can you speed up this process.

I have not heard anyone willing to pay that.

Thanks,

Larry Bruce (@pcmguy)

@iceman101

To find the IP Address of the DMS from Eralink Application:
  1. Open the Eralink application
  2. From the toolbar click Setup->Communications
  3. Select "Windows Sockets"
  4. Click Setup button
  5. IP Address will be listed under "Host:"
As an alternative, if you want to write a batch script (or otherwise) the retrieve the IP Address the information it is saved in a WIC file.

The path for this file is:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\My Documents\ERALink32\Sessions\Session1.wic

The IP address is found on the line Host="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Bear in mind when you do this you are opening a comm port with no security on it and a window to your net work. If you have an IT department they will most likely tell you "HELL NO". If you don't have an IT dept. then before you do this PLEASE tell your dealer what you are about to do, in the end this is his business not yours and he is on the hook for any adverse reactions that may occur.

The DMS contains a lot of sensitive customer data opening up access on your own to that data puts your dealer at tremendous risk

Hi, I just want to say this thread has been very helpful to me as I work for a very small third party and only got wind of this policy toward modem access this past Friday. So I have a couple questions. We only have a handful of dealers that use Reynolds and I was wondering what was the best way to access the local box to access data via eralink? I know with our ADP locations we just use either a cisco VPN client or the windows built in VPN client to access. Could one do the same thing for accessing a reynolds box?

Thanks!