• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Salary for Internet Sales Manager or Director

I am at a crossroads with my current dealership in regard to my position. I work for a Used Car Dealership. Even though I do know standards are different between new dealerships and used car dealerships, I still think some of the same previously mentioned posts do apply to my situation. I am the IT manager for our main hub and another satellite and am called upon for a third site if necessary. Besides doing website management, I also have to wear other hats that retain to other departments but my main job is website maintenance and technology maintenance for the company. From the beginning, I knew that I was being underpaid in my estimation but not until recently have I seen how much it is (again from my perspective). I am on an hourly salary (started at $9 an hour but now at $11 after about 4 years) and work 40 hours a week. I do not get any incentives or bonuses if sales are made from inquiries from the website that are sold. The owners of the company are starting to go more high tech but I do not think I would want to be part of that if I am not compensated correctly.

I do understand the economy but at some point just like its a business transaction to purchase a vehicle, I need to look out for my own benefit. I recently finished college with my Masters and can contribute to the company even more but again I do not want to if I am not being paid correctly (again in my estimation).

Any Ideas or thoughts would be great.

Thanks.

I recently finished college with my Masters and can contribute to the company even more but again I do not want to if I am not being paid correctly
Masters degree... that doesn't mean anything. You accepted the job along with the pay. Why don't you live up to your agreement and prove what you can do?

Last edited:
Come on Doug, I totally agree that the degree is meaningless, but after 4 years I think he's made what mark he's going to make.

@Brandon - If you don't have enough data that you can compile from your 4 year tour at Ted's Used Cars to show them mathematically why you should be paid more, you need to get your resume together. Honestly, some dealers will never pay the right money to technology based positions in this business. Like Kelly mentioned, more details as to what exactly you're doing day to day would be helpful if you want any real feedback. At $11/hr I don't think you would have much to lose by dropping an application at every competing dealer in town. You could make a lot more money simply working in a BDC. With a strong IT background and knowledge of the front line, you'd make a great Internet manager somewhere someday. However as Doug mentioned, you don't get to walk into the car business with a degree and demand $$$ Put your time in selling cars or working a BDC. A BDC manager job will open up and the guy with the masters will probably get the first crack at it. That's what I would do...

Come on Doug, I totally agree that the degree is meaningless, but after 4 years I think he's made what mark he's going to make.
Mike, Most of us have had some crappy jobs. I unloaded trucks, fried chicken, hauled hay and worked in a saw mill all before I graduated from High School. If I signed on, I did the best job that I could. My issue with him is that he said that he isn't doing his best work because of the pay. He shouldn't have accepted the job.
What I am seeing above are his duties. Tell me the difference he has made.

Last edited:
Brandon, I think we would still like to hear more than "Besides doing website management, I also have to wear other hats that retain to other departments but my main job is website maintenance and technology maintenance for the company."
As Doug & Mike noted, it's about showing your worth. 40 hours a week sounds....:dance2: ...not to say anyone should work my hours!

Move to StL and I may pay you $11/hr + bonuses to do lead handling and "a little web stuff"!

So I interviewed a BDC agent from a Nissan store in my area yesterday. His used car director and one of their sales people just joined us, and he is considering it also. The interview went great, he was a very knowledgeable guy with a proven track record. When the discussion came to money though, he showed me his pay plan. HE MAKES MORE THAN I DO! Also off every Wednesday and Sunday, 9-6 the other days.

His pay plan is 2500 base salary a month. He receives a scaling bonus for shown appointments and sold units, with some math involved dependent on his workplan completion percentage. Sounds pretty amazing with full time employee benefits and 2 guaranteed days off a week. He received 3944 in bonus just in January.

I played it off of course, but it very much bothered me. I am the Internet Director at my store. I know its a very loosely defined position, but I do everything from advertisements, websites, and lead a team of 5 cradle to grave sales people. I've been doing it since November, and every month have had atleast a ten unit increase to the previous year's month. I am salaried at 3000 and receive 25 per internet unit sold.

All of this goes to say: Is he being paid too much or am I being paid too little?

So I interviewed a BDC agent from a Nissan store in my area yesterday. His used car director and one of their sales people just joined us, and he is considering it also. The interview went great, he was a very knowledgeable guy with a proven track record. When the discussion came to money though, he showed me his pay plan. HE MAKES MORE THAN I DO! Also off every Wednesday and Sunday, 9-6 the other days.

His pay plan is 2500 base salary a month. He receives a scaling bonus for shown appointments and sold units, with some math involved dependent on his workplan completion percentage. Sounds pretty amazing with full time employee benefits and 2 guaranteed days off a week. He received 3944 in bonus just in January.

I played it off of course, but it very much bothered me. I am the Internet Director at my store. I know its a very loosely defined position, but I do everything from advertisements, websites, and lead a team of 5 cradle to grave sales people. I've been doing it since November, and every month have had atleast a ten unit increase to the previous year's month. I am salaried at 3000 and receive 25 per internet unit sold.

All of this goes to say: Is he being paid too much or am I being paid too little?

I hope you're selling 350-400 cars a month.

My internet department runs 50-70 units a month. The only sales that are considered internet are leads. We do not work the phone nor do they take showroom ups. His store sells roughly the same amount of internets.

Ill repeat. At $25.00 a sale, I hope you're selling 350-400 cars a month. It's in the math ;)

Last edited: