• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Setting up a Photo Booth

LOL! Yea it's definitely not the cheapest way to do it, although our other studio is actually more costly I believe. We closed in two service bays that we were never going to use to set this one up. The other is in a purpose built steel building. There is also a small on suite office (out of frame) for the photographer to work in. If you're really interested in knowing the cost I can give you a rough guesstimate (I didn't sign the checks :D).

I'm going to be building (well not my hands, but I'm in charge of design) a new photobooth.

I've just gotten some measurements...
30 ft long
24 ft wide
11 ft ceiling (I-beam)

There are a few obstructions in that space.

I'm thinking the plan is to build a diffused drop ceiling at 10.5' tall or so with the proper cloth that is going to be 12x24 in the corner of the space...

The long side is going to be some sort of curtain unless I can have the entire wall drywalled, but there is a exterior door on that wall...

I'll draw up something in MSpaint or on paper and post the size.

Lighting is my biggest concern obviously. I haven't figured out how many lights/fixtures I will need/want but i will likely be 3 x 8 (24 total fixtures with 4 bulbs a piece)

If I need additional lighting I will get some matching strobes to bounce off the ceiling and onto the car.

The rest of the room will be curtained off or finished nicely to reduce reflections on the SIDES of the vehicles... I also plan to start shooting with a CP filter.

Will update more this week.

Any thoughts or feedback on the primitave plan(s) so far is welcomed.. ;)

Jason, it you want to get a really good idea of how it's going to look and if the space works well, download SketchUp by Google...it's a really easy to use tool for 3D drafting and modeling. There's even a tool to "walk around" so you can see how it will actually look.

You can even build different ideas on different layers and "record" a walk thru to show others. It may help show how one thing works better if you need to push for a bigger budget-or to even post here to brag.

Just wanted to add these pictures to show the current space:

I just took some pictures of the space:
IMAG1217.jpg

IMAG1216.jpg

IMAG1215.jpg

IMAG1214.jpg

Now.. for the background/walls/backdrop I'm thinking I'd like to set up 3 walls of Muslin material probably in 12 x 12 sections unless I can use the larger sections (They make 12 x 30, but I would want it to the 30' wide and 12 tall, not sure how it is built to attach or how versatile it is). Part of the reason for the curtains is because of that door on the long side wall. If we finish the wall nicely with drywall, paint, etc... we'd have to close that door in where as we can keep that exit with the muslin backdrops.

I'd like to use something like this: Delta 1 Muslin Mover Three-Wall 58' System 44240 B&H Photo Video

Although 2 out of 3 of the covered walls does not need to be modular. Only 1 side where the vehicles will be driven in needs to open.

The flooring is going to be some sort of water/oil/moisture resistent covering that is easy to keep clean. Very important to have this function as I spend a lot of time cleaning the current area. HOWEVER, related to this topic... What colors/patterns should I be looking for when I pick the flooring? Something glossy, or matte? What effects will these textures/patterns/finishings have on the final photo product? I suppose reflection could be nice effect, but cause problems.

Are there any products you'd recommend for a durable floor covering. When we first leased our building it had a covering that was torn up in 3-4 months of light use. Either it was a crap product or the prep was not done right.

I'm also planning to cover the "open" side (where I am standing/moving around the vehicle) to reduce reflections and will be shooting with the proper filters.

If I need additional light, I'd like to use some diffused fluorescent lights that are bounced off the diffusion ceiling and back on to the vehicle.