• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The usual suspects?

Joe,

I agree that there are other factors involved but that does not mean you cannot compare these numbers. First of, I do not agree that your conversion will go down/up if you have more stores per capita or the distance between stores. This would influence the number of unique visitors not your conversion ratio. Think about this for a moment, more stores per capita means more competition online, so less visitors to your site. How they convert has nothing to do with this. The type of visitors might, but who says a Chevy customer is less likely to convert and why? What research do you base this on?

If your inventory shrunk, then I can see how it affects your conversion, but again it affects your traffic more than your conversion. Also, you have tools to get around limited inventory like virtual inventory.

When the market shows conversion of 2-5% I think having a ratio of 7-9% does show better conversion no matter what intangibles there are. When we were with another vendor we would get 4% conversion too and then I installed the pop-up tool from our current vendor and our conversion increased by 1.5% (from 4 to 5.5%) So lets say that I have 10,000 unique visitors per month, the increase of 1.5% would give me an additional 150 leads an increase of 37.5%.

The moral of this story is that everyone should focus on improving their conversion. Your customers are on your site for a reason. They want information. It works just like phone ups, if your sales reps that take phone calls do not ask for a name and number to call back (or better yet - set an appointment), then they do not convert the calls. I expect my website to convert as high as possible, because more leads almost always turn in to more sales.

FYI. I checked out your website. Was this custom build? To improve your SEO you could include a location in the SEO friendly URLs which will help rank better. Sames goes for your sitemap. Also since you have a website that does not look like your typical dealer site, I would install a heatmap, so you can see how customers flow through your websites. This will allow you to adjust the design and text on your website to improve your conversion. P.S. I do like your custom Meta Descriptions since they show up in the SERPs.

Last edited:
Oscar,

By no means was I ever insinuating that you and your site are not top notch. By no means am I saying that dealeron does not share in your admirable conversion rates. But, I am saying that conversion rate ranking is solid as a rock when tracking internal improvements. From my analysis, when I start comparing my stats to my peers, the bedrock of measurement becomes sand because of the million variables that can skew the results.

For example. Become a car shopper. Look how "focused" the Acura shopping experience becomes:

• 4 Acura Dealers are within 100 miles of Dallas Tx.
  • 74 Chevrolet Dealers are within 100 Miles of Dallas Tx

Can you follow me on the different shopping vibe this sets up?
In all likely-hood, the Acura shopper is MORE likely to have a personal relationship with "their dealer" where as the Chevrolet buying experience is... less personal. To add more fuel to this, almost everywhere on the planet, car shoppers think dealers are out to screw them so they are defensive. Wait, there's more!! Shoppers know that submitting a lead means opening the door to badgering calls from commissioned reps coming from stores they have no relationship with (nor want a relationship with).

Let's have some fun!
I'd bet a you an adult beverage (at a convention in the future) that this dealeron dealer Houston Chevrolet dealer in Alvin Texas - New and Used Chevrolet dealership Pasadena Spring Humble Texas has a conversion rate far closer to 2-3% than your 7-9%

If I lose, we laugh over a cocktail (I win),
If I win... I win!

Car Dealers in Your Area - Cars.com

Car Dealers in Your Area - Cars.com

Last edited:
Joe,

Unfortunately my boss never sends me to conventions :( Regardless, I would take you up on it, although one thing they have to do is turn the pop-up certificate on (we receive around 33% of our leads from that). It looks like their website has not been up for over a year, which also explains why they are not showing up for common keywords. I might be wrong on this, because it does not show a domain creation date. When I use the wayback machine, no results show up, which most often means there was no website 12 months ago.

Regarding your comment:

In all likely-hood, the Acura shopper is MORE likely to have a personal relationship with "their dealer" where as the Chevrolet buying experience is... less personal.

I will have to disagree.

1. More dealerships = more options for the customers. I think we agree there.
2. 74 Dealerships and 74 million customers = 4 Dealerships and 4 million customers (Just want to point out not to compare the 74 dealerships with 4 dealerships since it makes no sense unless you know the market for Chevy and Acura in the area)
3. How many Chevy dealers show up on page 1 from Google? Only 10, not 74.
4. More dealership options in the search engines, would make me believe they get less traffic. If they get less traffic, your loyal customers make a larger percentage of your total customer base and thus your conversion ratio should be higher.
5. A Chevy dealership should look in the mirror if their customers are not loyal or if the shopping experience is not PERSONAL. How you treat your customers and how you communicate with them makes them come back. This is something that influences your conversion ratio!!!! More loyal customers mean higher conversion rates!

Shoppers know that submitting a lead means opening the door to badgering calls from commissioned reps coming from stores they have no relationship with (nor want a relationship with).

This is exactly why customer will NOT shop all 74 dealers. Maybe 4 or 5, but not all 74. So really how different is the playing field?

the Acura shopper is MORE likely to have a personal relationship with "their dealer"

Our Acura dealerships sells only 34% to customers that consider us "their dealer" We sell the majority of our cars to customers that are in the backyard of our competing dealerships. So, in that regard, this is NOT true (at least for us it is not)

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Lol

YES. ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!!!

Joe,...

...It looks like their website has not been up for over a year, which also explains why they are not showing up for common keywords. I might be wrong on this, because it does not show a domain creation date. When I use the wayback machine, no results show up, which most often means there was no website 12 months ago.

Bookmark this site FYI: Roncarterhoustonchevrolet.com - Ron Carter Houston Chevrolet - Houston Chevrolet dealer in Alvin Texas - New and Used Chevrolet dealership Pasadena Spring Humble Texas

P.S. Domain age is but one lifeboat in a gigantic ocean of possibilities that google engineers uses to recognize your site. A point of reference FYI ToyotaRecall.org, went from Zero to Hero overnight http://siteanalytics.compete.com/toyotarecall.org/?metric=uv&months=12 (thnx in great part BP's ridiculously-intelligent internet marketing network)

Last edited:
I agree that domain age is a small part of the equation, but for a site that is only 4 months old, it is actually a lot bigger deal than you think. Also, is this a new dealership? If so, potential customers in the area do not search for their dealership name yet making the website less important in Google's eyes.

The ToyotaRecall.org website is a clever idea and got from ZERO to HERO for obvious reasons. Last few months everybody was searching for the keyword term "Toyota recall" and that website just happens to have both keywords in their domain name. How about we start a website called TigerGirlfiends.com (It is available, but it might be too late for this) Was looking at Obamacare.com or Obamacaresucks.com but those already taken. Smart domain names with decent SEO can take you a long way. Chinarealestatebubble.com is already taken too and that might be a domain that we will see a lot from in a year or two.

The ToyotaRecall.org website is a clever idea and got from ZERO to HERO for obvious reasons. Last few months everybody was searching for the keyword term "Toyota recall" and that website just happens to have both keywords in their domain name. How about we start a website called TigerGirlfiends.com (It is available, but it might be too late for this) Was looking at Obamacare.com or Obamacaresucks.com but those already taken. Smart domain names with decent SEO can take you a long way. Chinarealestatebubble.com is already taken too and that might be a domain that we will see a lot from in a year or two.

There's a whole lot more than just a good domain name going on there..

Matt,

Never said there is not more to traffic than a domain name, but you want to bet that calling it MattScalcione.org would not have seen nearly the same results. I was nearly pointing out that it DOES matter. You do not have to tell me that the content and links in are more important as are some other factors. Joe used it as an example comparing it to roncarterhoustonchevrolet.com so I gave my two pennies why that website rose up the SERPs fast and the houston chevy dealership in the same amount of time did not. Well, lets take a closer look. The Houston dealer is in a niche market only marketing to Houston Chevrolet customers. Toyotarecall.org was going after the USA and really beyond that too and it went bazerker when the Toyota Recall was happening. Again, just wanted to point out that you cannot compare the two.