• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vehicle Photography and Virtual Showrooms

Richie K

Green Pea
Jan 31, 2022
Awards
First Name
Richie
I tried to do a search to see if this topic has been discussed, but I didn't really find exactly what I was looking for so here we are....

Does anyone use virtual showrooms with their inventory pictures. I have been contacted by a company called CarCutter. Here is a link: CarCutter's Virtual Showrooms- Leading Partner for Automotive Imagery Solutions
CarCutter has an app to create 3D showrooms with vehicle pics. My dealership doesn't have funds for professional vehicle pics, or expensive photo booths. They have me, and I admit my pics are not consistent.
I am just curious to see if anyone else uses that company or a similar one. If so, what are your pros/cons/thoughts/opinions?

TIA!

Reactions: AnnAllen
I really don't like the white booth photos. I'd prefer to see the vehicle in outdoor setting.
Also, those virtual tours which fish eye everything don't inspire me either.
Yeah, I would definitely prefer it outside, but that's where the professional service comes in. We aren't able to get good enough photos outside with just the regular shots. We tried for years but never found consistency.

@Richie K

I spent some more time on that their site, if you get the right background to to match your lighting, some of the photos could look good.

Things I caught: you can still see the sunlight differences, the trees in the windows but in general, if you can get a background to match your lighting (I liked number 19) then it could work.

The only one that consistently bothered me was the interior conversions.

I'm curious now. another thread mentioned $5 per car for a photographer. I wonder if that was per picture or for the full car. IF using this technology is cheaper?

I tried to do a search to see if this topic has been discussed, but I didn't really find exactly what I was looking for so here we are....

Does anyone use virtual showrooms with their inventory pictures. I have been contacted by a company called CarCutter. Here is a link: CarCutter's Virtual Showrooms- Leading Partner for Automotive Imagery Solutions
CarCutter has an app to create 3D showrooms with vehicle pics. My dealership doesn't have funds for professional vehicle pics, or expensive photo booths. They have me, and I admit my pics are not consistent.
I am just curious to see if anyone else uses that company or a similar one. If so, what are your pros/cons/thoughts/opinions?

TIA!
Thanks for sharing it with us, I appreciate you.

TIA!
Background replacement still generally looks crap unless you take a lot of care to get the lighting and angles right. And definitely don't just do the background in your main shot, with the rest showing the yard. You're better off learning/practicing to take better photos, and if possible find an open outdoor space to take them.

Background replacement still generally looks crap unless you take a lot of care to get the lighting and angles right. And definitely don't just do the background in your main shot, with the rest showing the yard. You're better off learning/practicing to take better photos, and if possible find an open outdoor space to take them.
Up until now, I thought I was the only person on the selling side who thought that the artificial backgrounds looked tacky. It's rare that I come across an image with an artificial background that's tolerable, and when it happens it's only because the photographer happened to get a photo at the right time of the day and at the correct exposure letting the subject almost match the background. It looks cheap and it doesn't create consistency the way users think it does.

Reactions: craigh and Will G.