• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What do you feel are most important key metrics....

May 29, 2018
Awards
First Name
Todd
HI,
Building a dashboard to compare key metrics across a group.
Group is made up of roughly 60 rooftops, 15 or so unique new car brands.
Assuming I have access to all the data I need... what do you feel would be the most important metrics one could compare across such a diverse group if you were going to take a quick look before drilling down on a specific store.

Can already break out to infinite detail a store on its own, but not comparing across stores, without going store by store.
Seems some data points are hardly worth comparing, other data points are. So building a separate dashboard showing those key items.

A few metrics being considered:
% achieved of Budget achieved
Costs per lead, avg gross by lead, avg response time to leads, avg leads per rep
Closing Ratio percent, new and used by Sold and Delivered
Sales Appointments, percentage set of avail opportunities, show, no show
Workplan task completion by percent
Average activity (touchpoints) per lead, per deal (can track; calls, text, email, videos sent)

Thank you for any input :)

Reactions: JDHigginbotham
My advice is to start with 1 core metric, have it tied to $, and get management to focus on it. Make it part of meetings, assign objectives to it. Draw on the competitive nature of the stores. This means the values have to relative to each other, aka you have to normalize it. Make sure the data is perfect. Otherwise they will find the holes and reject it. If you can do all of that and they start changing behavior and start seeking more information to improve on it follow their requests and add more.

In my experience if you try to go all in and explain you are going to lose traction. You want them asking for more. Also, don't assume people understand anything. Over explain the most basic. Most of the users will act like the understand the complexities of what you've built, but are just protecting their egos.

So what metric, that is for the upper management to decide and it's a cultural question. I would give them a framework to decide.
  • 1 kpi
  • tied to dollars
  • normalized so all stores are measured equally
  • tied to incentives for them
  • has staying power, not a flavor of the month
  • unites teams towards a common goal (a lot of metrics pit one against another)
  • make sure it can be accurate, timely and available
If it meets those criteria it's a good place to build, when they say we need to add these other 5...say I agree after we teach them how to use the 1st one. This will have unintended consequences when you roll this out. It's best to understand the impact of 1 versus 5 or 6.

My advice is to start with 1 core metric, have it tied to $, and get management to focus on it. Make it part of meetings, assign objectives to it. Draw on the competitive nature of the stores. This means the values have to relative to each other, aka you have to normalize it. Make sure the data is perfect. Otherwise they will find the holes and reject it. If you can do all of that and they start changing behavior and start seeking more information to improve on it follow their requests and add more.

In my experience if you try to go all in and explain you are going to lose traction. You want them asking for more. Also, don't assume people understand anything. Over explain the most basic. Most of the users will act like the understand the complexities of what you've built, but are just protecting their egos.

So what metric, that is for the upper management to decide and it's a cultural question. I would give them a framework to decide.
  • 1 kpi
  • tied to dollars
  • normalized so all stores are measured equally
  • tied to incentives for them
  • has staying power, not a flavor of the month
  • unites teams towards a common goal (a lot of metrics pit one against another)
  • make sure it can be accurate, timely and available
If it meets those criteria it's a good place to build, when they say we need to add these other 5...say I agree after we teach them how to use the 1st one. This will have unintended consequences when you roll this out. It's best to understand the impact of 1 versus 5 or 6.
Thanks for the thoughtful input. The dealer specific dashboard did set off a few smoke alarms lol
Definitely looking for actionable and easy to take in. Will keep your points in mind for sure.

Sales Appt KPI would likely be a low drama one to start with.

It would be simple message accountability at the rooftops and track from the top.

End result could be improved show rates OR less time wasted on no shows.

Metrics - Appt Volume, Confirmations, Shows, No Shows, Reschedules

Volume would vary by brand, but the show rate should be universal. If show rate is low, proactive confirmations ahead of set time would be my focus.

I kind of see it as two different conversations.

During the month, it's activity and opportunity based. For our stores and groups, we measure outbound activity (Calls/Emails/Texts/Videos), appointments (set/shown/sold), and opportunities and conversions (Internet Leads, Internet Sold, Total Sold). These metrics can be pulled easily from the CRM, and will tell you where your holes are during the month. It's important to identify those opportunities on an ongoing basis so you don't wonder where your month went wrong at month end.

On a monthly basis, you look more at the store level performance and lead source ROIs that you discussed.

Reactions: JDHigginbotham
Sales Appt KPI would likely be a low drama one to start with.

It would be simple message accountability at the rooftops and track from the top.

End result could be improved show rates OR less time wasted on no shows.

Metrics - Appt Volume, Confirmations, Shows, No Shows, Reschedules

Volume would vary by brand, but the show rate should be universal. If show rate is low, proactive confirmations ahead of set time would be my focus.

Sales Appointment Show Rate is easily effected by sales person CRM usage. If salespeople aren't putting appointments in the CRM their SHOW rate will be much higher.

Sales Appointment Show Rate is easily effected by sales person CRM usage. If salespeople aren't putting appointments in the CRM their SHOW rate will be much higher.
Theres a hole to poke at.

Human behavior, I get it...but is there a gap that software could help automate the existence of that appointment?

Let's put online appointments aside. That should be easily tracked from the jump.

I'd like to know more about what the process is for marking an appointment when someone calls in. Or scenarios when a salesperson is responsible for manually entering (i never did)

Assumptions...routed to sales, talks to someone of the floor, nails down a time on the phone.

Is there not call tracking coming into play there? Transcript from the call summarized by AI picking up that an appointment was made? That summary automatically creating an appointment in CRM or the like?