• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What ways could dealers be more transparent, IDEAS anyone?

There IS a reason I keep pushing for some specificity when it comes to the "future" of auto retail. For those who think the future is "Transparency," we should define it. Consumers have their own ideas but in economics, transparency is when buyer and seller have the same information and equal ability to interpret that information. When that occurs, the product becomes a commodity and an "efficient market" is in place. Efficient markets result in "disintermediation." That's elimination of the middle man. That's you Mr./Ms. Dealer and you Mr./Ms Sales person. It means the competition between dealers, which the FTC likes and consumers hate, disappears. It also means that OEMs are able to fix prices with only their fellow OEMs to have to worry about. Those who believe consumer surveys will believe that consumers would like that because everyone would pay the same for a new vehicle. The FTC understands how such a market would lead to increased vehicle costs for consumers.

Of course, the fact is that trade ins would still have to be negotiated UNLESS trades were excluded from the deal and consumers would just take their trades to an auction. Of course, for that to work the market would have to figure out how to deal with negative equity and the various sales tax laws around the country.

I find it curious that so many would be on auto retail sites touting as the future things that are just not going to happen without immense difficulty. If someone has a plan of how to lobby the FTC, I'd like to hear about it. TrueCar has lost MILLIONS so far. What if those losses had instead been targeted on Congress to change the way the FTC operates? If our objective is to make consumers happy, don't we want to arrange for them to all pay the same? After all, the idea that some pay too much so some can pay too little is repugnant to consumers.

Equally amazing to me is the thought that people seem to be pushing for a system that eliminates dealers and retail sales people. In an "efficient market," some clerks might be needed, but certainly not retail sales people as we know them today.

So here's my prediction for the future - Instead of sending automotive people to Disney to learn how to make people happy, Disney will send their people to car dealerships so the Disney people can learn how to do business with people who have less than stellar credit, trade negative equity, unrealistic expectations, with layers of complexity and detail as mandated by regulatory agencies, and do business at gross profit while still gaining a 90 plus CSI rating.

Another prediction - My grandmother will be found in orbit around Mars.

Go ahead. Prove me wrong.

ruggles,
I'll go one better. It's far more valuable for you learn "how to see" into the future.

Love this one Joe :thumbup:

I wanted to pull a quote out of it that should be one any forward-thinker appreciates and uses.

Clay Christensen said:
Data is only available about the past and when we teach people they should be data driven, fact-based, and analytical looking into the future; in many ways we’ve condemned them to take action when the game is over.

There is no data about the future. You have to have a good theory.

Reactions: joe.pistell
Toyota Following Tesla’s Lead, Trying Out Direct Online Sales

Dear Toyota,

For the test to work, you'll need to do it right....
  1. Close down all your stores
  2. Make a car that has no peer and can't be bought anywhere else.
  3. Reduce your output to 55,000 units a year
  4. Require shoppers to order and wait for their car
See GM's Shop-Click-Drive for insights into how happy shoppers are with this new "I hate the dealer" solution.

Here's some relevant news -

Rather than being subjected to the slow torture of spending a few hours being set up and (potentially) ripped off by car salesmen, one will simply be able to log in to the new web-based system, pick a vehicle, arrange for financing, and then set up a delivery location.

Toyota Following Tesla’s Lead, Trying Out Direct Online Sales

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/08/29/toyota-following-teslas-lead-trying-direct-online-sales/
This isn't about "Direct" online sales. The author is "re-reporting" news originally reported in The Detroit Free Press, "Toyota tests online sales, financing with Scion". This is why you shouldn't get your news through a filter...

You mean like Facebook? It's crazy isn't it Ed?
I suspect we both saw it the same place. ;-)

Interesting side note, the original poster on Facebook tends to post "re-reported" stuff from websites with an agenda, with each re-reporting getting a more extreme, bombastic headline and less of the original content - if the content doesn't agree their point-of-view.

-- makes me scratch my head :thinker:

Anyone every hear of Shop, Click, Drive? How's that working out?

So what do consumers do with it? They get the online price, then go to a dealer and begin negotiating from that point. SCION is a perfect example of how an OEM attempts to run auto retail based on how consumers answer surveys. SCION is a loser for Toyota just as Saturn was for GM. Some OEMs believe, at some point, consumers will actually behave the way they say they will behave on surveys. This Toyota initiative does NOT bypass their dealer body. Neither does Shop, Click, Drive.

These initiatives are nothing more than dressed up lead generation strategies. GM claims thousands of sales based on Shop Click Drive. But when you drill down, very FEW of these deals actually followed the process from beginning to end.