• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who has the BEST 'Photo Overlay'?

I've been back and forth with overlays over the last several years. Been waiting on HomeNet to offer different overlays according to ad source and vehicle options/CarFax. I used to do them individually back when.

I've come to a solid conclusion - your overlays are like a display ad. They can help brand and can also help drive a message.

Before building out your overlays, be sure your camera crew are on board and you are positioning your photos to compliment your overlay.

I've been back and forth with overlays over the last several years. Been waiting on HomeNet to offer different overlays according to ad source and vehicle options/CarFax. I used to do them individually back when.

I've come to a solid conclusion - your overlays are like a display ad. They can help brand and can also help drive a message.

Before building out your overlays, be sure your camera crew are on board and you are positioning your photos to compliment your overlay.

I know a few inventory syndicators that apply different overlays depending on where the image is going. This allows the correct call tracking number to be included for accurate sourcing.I love Jeff's idea of including the correct CarFax logos as well. Building on that, a CPO logo on the correct cars would be huge.

It always kills me when I see an incorrect 800 number on an overlay - it destroys the tracking. I have to give Matt and VIN credit for not using the website 800 number on his overlays. I love it when a website company skews their call numbers upwards by including that number on every image on the classified sites.

:iagree: Joe and :lol:

Wow - some of these overlays are HUGE! I stopped using them years ago. But I will say that some of these are pretty with the right car selected. Does pretty make someone pick up the phone more?

IMO, the unique photo overlay comes into play on Classified sites when a shopper is back for a RETURN VISIT. When they make it back to the SRP (Search Return Page), they scan the thumbnails looking for that "lil guy" that had that good Ford Taurus the shopper saw 2 days ago.

IMO, visual impact takes precedence over style (unless your a mega high-end store). Adding a "lil guy doing something silly" overlay is memorable and is a damn smart branding tool.

Note to self... Add this to my todo list. Must create and add silly lil guy to overlay

IMO, the unique photo overlay comes into play on Classified sites when a shopper is back for a RETURN VISIT. When they make it back to the SRP (Search Return Page), they scan the thumbnails looking for that "lil guy" that had that good Ford Taurus the shopper saw 2 days ago.

IMO, visual impact takes precedence over style (unless your a mega high-end store). Adding a "lil guy doing something silly" overlay is memorable and is a damn smart branding tool.

Note to self... Add this to my todo list. Must create and add silly lil guy to overlay

Uncle Joe, I'm amazed. I just checked the mega-store to the north of you expecting to see an overlay of a 'lil guy" screaming about being huge. Not there! Just plain Jane car images. Talk about missed opportunities!

==> I even have a Billy F. bobble head on my desk. It gives the cat something to knock over.

Last edited:
I have to think one of the ways an overlay is most beneficial is to make your cars stand out on a classified site's Search Results Page. If you believe that as well, then your overlay needs to be big and bold. As Alex says "Huge".

I did a few searches on ATC and here are some dealers that stood out - even in the little thumbnail photo:

17636414923.286710897.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

18155863377.284285872.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

All of the dealers that really stood out for me ONLY overlayed the first photo - the one on the thumbnail.

We are hoping to make a photo booth soon, but what do you think of our over lay?

The little star burst has about 5 different variants based on the vehicle...

2291448113.jpg

Woa!

Too busy, makes the eye buzz around. Here's my $0.02.

• Drop the inner white border.
  • Your CT Chevy Dealer means less than your slogan: "We'll Treat You Right"
  • Drop CT icon (with dot). If I am >40 mins from that dot, thats a negative.
  • Keep over 200 New and used
  • Drop "Call for Details" Everyone knows its a phone number
  • On "One Owner" burst, Add Black border to make color pop more
  • Caps on URLs helps the eye. consider: TerryvilleChevy.com
  • Join "over 200 New and used" with TerryvilleChevy.com to create call to action: Try this on bottom "see over over 200 New and Used at TerryvilleChevy.com"
  • Move Phone number to top over "We'll Treat You Right"
  • Consider making phone number bright yellow.
  • Experiment with making inside corners softer, rounded.
  • If it's not too cluttered, add "Call Now!" to phone number

Last edited: