• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will you expand paid search beyond Google?

I hear Bing is currently yielding great results with a very low CPC.

But I also just read where as of a few days ago, Facebook quietly dropped Microsoft Bing from Graph Search. No sure of the impact that will have.

The point here being - keep yourself updated with who's using who as their default search engine. It seems to be changing often more and more but you could find that "sweet spot", at least for awhile.

There was a really good study I was given access to about a year ago (yes, that's a lifetime on the internet) that did some really good comparisons and stereotypes of users of different search engines, the value of that user, their likelihood to purchase (eCommerce study), etc. They also did some data on the paid ads. Essentially it boiled down to the fact that Google still had the best value, even at a higher CPC, but Yahoo was working.

Google - The masses, good return, honest ad system, most expensive CPC
Bing - Way too much traffic from windows features, xbox, their phones, etc implemented all wrong. Low CPC, but really low conversions, high bounce rate and very little honesty (ie: cost correction, misclicks, etc) in their ad system
Yahoo - Low cost, reasonable traffic, high conversions on non-purchases, lower conversions on purchases - they attributed this to the mean age of Yahoo users being much higher, less willing to use credit cards online

I wish I had the raw study still - instead I only have my notes from it. Was a good study, but things can definitely change so I'm not going to pretend the data is still relevant to today, especially with all the politics surrounding search engines as of late.

Ultimately, for me the numbers (up here in Canada) for searches in general still dictate most of where we spend our money:

search_sources.png

PS: Let's just stop and think about the fact that Google was paying $300,000,000 a year to be the default in Firefox.
And they released the competitor browser that ultimately took top position from Firefox.

Here are some more recent stats around Bing search that Jason Wiley from Haystak shared with us at the Kain

29.2 percent of searches are powered by Bing. That's was a stronger number than I would have anticipated. Do you have a Bing strategy?

bing_paidsearch_strategy.jpg