• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will you expand paid search beyond Google?

But for advertising purposes that's a useless statistic - we only care where the actual eyeballs were.
Siri doesn't help me, Ask (is it really powered by Bing? Source for that?) is a dying platform.
So we have Yahoo and Bing ad networks to deal with still - even if I add those two together the numbers are still incredibly low on our end.

While the money you can spend on bing is limited due to lower traffic, the campaigns so far have yielded similar or better results than Google.

Yago, are we talking about click results or actual conversions?
I would love to know what you see for:
  • average time on site
  • average pages / visit
  • # of conversions
Not the specific numbers, but just how well they hold up against Google.
Also, any insight on how Bing handles robots/fake clicks? I get quite a bit of honest refunds from Google.

Bing is rumored to be the next the default search engine on all Apple products, and currently is for Siri. That is reason enough for a Bing strategy.

I agree that a Bing strategy makes sense, but I'm not sure that being the default on Apple products is nearly as much of a game changer as Firefox switching to Yahoo. The number of people that actually use Safari is quite small when Firefox and Chrome are both available. Ultimately, we should have strategies for all the platforms, but I would put money on Yahoo before I did Bing, simply due to the massive Firefox changeover.

I agree that a Bing strategy makes sense, but I'm not sure that being the default on Apple products is nearly as much of a game changer as Firefox switching to Yahoo. The number of people that actually use Safari is quite small when Firefox and Chrome are both available. Ultimately, we should have strategies for all the platforms, but I would put money on Yahoo before I did Bing, simply due to the massive Firefox changeover.

You are overestimating the intelligence of the general population. Most iPhone users don't know or care to change any basic settings, they just want to play Candy Crush or Clash of Clans.

Here is a report from Net Market Share showing mobile browser usage for Dec, 2014 (. Safari makes up over 40% of total traffic:

Browser Version Total Market Share
Safari 8.0 18.85%
Android Browser 4.0 16.23%
Safari 7.0 12.09%
Chrome 39.0 11.43%
Safari 600 4.23%
Chrome 28.0 4.16%
Safari 9537 2.50%
Opera Mini 7.5 2.50%
Chrome 30.0 2.15%
Safari 6.0 1.83%
Opera Mini 7.6 1.72%
Opera Mini 4.2 1.56%
Safari 5.1 1.23%
Safari 537 1.18%

Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0 Mobile 1.10%
Opera Mini 8.0 1.03%
Chrome 38.0 0.92%
Chrome 34.0 0.92%
Proprietary or Undetectable 0.91%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 10.0 Mobile 0.91%
Proprietary or Undetectable 0.90%
Chrome 37.0 0.89%

You are overestimating the intelligence of the general population. Most iPhone users don't know or care to change any basic settings, they just want to play Candy Crush or Clash of Clans.

Here is a report from Net Market Share showing mobile browser usage for Dec, 2014 (. Safari makes up over 40% of total traffic:

I don't deny the numbers are there, but if you're making an advertising strategy based on mobile safari, you might want to make sure the websites are in order and your mobile conversion process is near perfect before proceeding with that. Also, these reports tend to not be similar data to what we actually see on dealership websites. I will have to confirm, but I know that most of our clients focus a heavy portion of their advertising on desktop browsers intentionally.