• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Yet Another Hilarious 'Social Media Guru' Video

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
fc_v1_logo2.gif

From FastCompany: Alex Blagg: The Most Influential Social Media "Guru" Online
He's not just on Foursquare - He's the Mayor of Foursquare!

Meet Alex Blagg, the founder of A Bajillion Hits (ABH). Part Internet meme, part satire, ABH is one giant riff on the oft-exaggerated "expertise" of social media "gurus." Blagg, as his site boasts, specializes in "meme-making," "Bieber-baiting," and "Engaging Engagement." He's a "visionary," a "Webeneur," and "strategenius." He offers services in "idea design," "algorithms," "nano-solutions," and "paradigm-adjustment." In other words, Blagg's parody reminds us just how ridiculous it is for anyone to have an "expertise" in making things go viral. To Blagg, it's all boilerplate.

"A Bajillion Hits is a boutique viral-social strategy and marketing consulting firm specializing in expert opinion on next-gen strategy," his site advertises, in Blagg's typical nonsensical, buzz-wordy language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Ed.

After a great deal of thought, I think I've found the correct name for FaceBook. It should be named

People Behind Walls.
Lots of people in broken into small & fragmented social groups, isolated by high walls creating an island of comforting privacy.

Last edited:
For an advertiser, the task of penetrating that "island of privacy" requires content so compelling that people want to "opt in", and, you better not get lazy. You need to keep the content compelling for it to grow.

Add to that, FaceBook's social connections are not Geo sensitive. Look at your FB friends. If you have 100, how many are within 30 mins of you? 5? 10?

Car Dealers need to ask, of the FB audience they cultivate, how many are too far away to become customers?

Add to that, FaceBook's social connections are not Geo sensitive. Look at your FB friends. If you have 100, how many are within 30 mins of you? 5? 10?

Car Dealers need to ask, of the FB audience they cultivate, how many are too far away to become customers?
Joe, you're absolutely right. I have Facebook friends around the world. If I was still selling cars retail, I'd never expect my friend Peter to buy a car from me, he lives in the Yukon. He's my friend on Facebook because he's my friend in real life (he was Best Man at my wedding). Facebook just gives us a great way to stay in touch. Hopefully most fans of a dealership will be fans in real life as well. And the goal, again, is keeping in touch. Just don't try it with QR Codes (see video) :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator: