• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Overcoming [modern] Objections

bzweifel,

For someone that doesn't sell cars anymore (me!).

Could you list what is that you consider 'modern' objections?

It seems that all the answers are going to traditional issues and perhaps that is not what you are asking for in here.

Apparently I have no idea what I’m talking about. I admit defeat. Looks like I need to do more reading and less typing.

Apparently I have no idea what I’m talking about. I admit defeat. Looks like I need to do more reading and less typing.
I would disagree and would hope that you continue to type. I think this is a great question and you displayed and awesome example. Most dealers are still using or have never trained their sales people how to overcome objections. Yes the trade objection has been around forever and always will be but how are you overcoming these objections in 2011 with real answers, not the bs answers we were trained to use in the past. More and more consumers look right pass us and call bull shit faster than ever before. I'd love to see more examples of how dealers are using transparency and technology to overcome objections.

Reactions: 2 people

bzweifel, I agree with Jeff. Do you ever look at the people that are online? For each member there are usually 10 times the number of guests. This is a phenomenal website with some of the brightest people in our industry. A discussion will bring out different ideas and that is the beauty of it. I appreciate the fact that you contribute. I really hope that you continue.

I didn't mean to nuke your efforts... I understood that you were looking for other than the regular answers to the common problems we have all experienced while selling, however I was curious if technology (as you point out KBB pricing for example) has brought new--different enough--objections to the table.

For example; I had never thought about the answer you have for the KBB over valued trade customer.

I didn't mean to nuke your efforts... I understood that you were looking for other than the regular answers to the common problems we have all experienced while selling, however I was curious if technology (as you point out KBB pricing for example) has brought new--different enough--objections to the table.

For example; I had never thought about the answer you have for the KBB over valued trade customer.

Way to go, Yago -- scared off another one! (tehe)

Here's a couple technology-based objections:

* Your website told me that my car would be worth $10,000 -- why is it only worth $8,000?
** Or my favorite: EDMUNDS said my car is worth $20,000, but you're only giving me $8,000?!?!?!
* How come you have a lower price on your website for this vehicle?
* This car is listed with 21,000 miles, but the odometer picture says 26,000 miles.
* Your mailer/email says you want to buy my 2005 Civic. I traded that in last year -- don't you people keep track of my vehicles?
* SHOW ME THE CARFAX! :D

Of course, few of these are really "objections," per se, but more so indicators of a gap in process. Which really then begs the question: are there "modern" vs. "old" objections? I'm thinking the wording may be a bit different, so the responses may need to be worded a bit differently, but the core of the objections are the same.

So, Mr. Kershner, I wouldn't be so fast to chuck those "old BS responses." I'd wager that if you grabbed your old APB Selling Manual, and invested some time in the language, much would still apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Way to go, Yago -- scared off another one! (the)

I wasn't scared off. I felt as if I was casting pearls to swine. I come to this forum to learn, not to be ridiculed by the Grammar police. I admit that I could have explained myself better in my Original post. I should have titled this thread "Modern ways to overcome objections" instead of "overcoming [modern] objections". You win that debate, but is that really important? I'm not trying to prove anything on this forum. I'm here to get stronger and take my career further. Can we concentrate on helping each other?

New objections or closes, old objections or closes, half and half , modern remakes of old closes , I don't care what you want to call it, I'm looking for shit that works TODAY. If you think that most of the old stuff still works today then post it so it can be up for discussion. Stop talking in theory and start answering my question.

I'm still interested in hearing closes, so to fish out responses moving forward:

What are your (anyone) best closes for ANY objection?

I wasn't scared off. I felt as if I was casting pearls to swine. I come to this forum to learn, not to be ridiculed by the Grammar police. I admit that I could have explained myself better in my Original post. I should have titled this thread "Modern ways to overcome objections" instead of "overcoming [modern] objections". You win that debate, but is that really important? I'm not trying to prove anything on this forum. I'm here to get stronger and take my career further. Can we concentrate on helping each other?

New objections or closes, old objections or closes, half and half , modern remakes of old closes , I don't care what you want to call it, I'm looking for shit that works TODAY. If you think that most of the old stuff still works today then post it so it can be up for discussion. Stop talking in theory and start answering my question.

I'm still interested in hearing closes, so to fish out responses moving forward:

Hi bzweifel,

This is the second time I feel as if I've offended you, and for that I sincerely apologize. My interactions on this blog are fairly light-hearted and rarely thoughtful and certainly not intended to be offensive or be construed as ridicule. I applaud your efforts to find answers on this forum, and I hope you continue. Again, my apologies.

Although, it's "theory" again, if you are not getting the answer you want, try a new question.

My thoughtful answer to you is this:

There are no "closes." There are only "closers." Someone sold you a book of crap that says there are "words" that anyone can say to overcome any objection -- something you can list in a book or a spreadsheet, memorize, and be prepared. That's complete bullshit.

A couple very bright and knowledgeable people earlier in this post explained this to you as well. it's not about "words," it's about How and When and Why and Where you say what you do. It's about process, and rapport-building, and talent. There is no magical recipe book.

Now on this forum, if you want to describe a certain situation and ask the readers how they would have handled that particular situation, you will get PLENTY of responses.

Well... I'm not the grammar police... My english still a work in progress... but because of the word order I understood the question differently. My apologies.