• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Money. You get awards engraved for $35, sell them for hundreds of dollars, then make a landing page covered in paid ads and announce the awards there. Profit everywhere.

Of course, awards are a business like everything else.

Who gets to be a speaker at most conferences?

There is a business proposition behind everything.

However we can be on a forum complaining about it while the world continues to grow with and around these, we can participate on them and use them to our advantage by beating/paying more/buying more drinks/have better software than the other company, or we can make/build a better proposition.

Last edited:
The awards being passed out like...

giphy.gif

Of course, awards are a business like everything else.

Who gets to be a speaker at most conferences?

There is a business proposition behind everything.

However we can be on a forum complaining about it while the world continues to grow with and around these, we can participate on them and use them to our advantage by beating/paying more/buying more drinks/have better software than the other company, or we can make/build a better proposition.
I wouldn’t call it complaining. Many in the dealer world have no idea. It’s eye opening to us. Further, that in and of itself is the issue, the “better” product doesn’t get the award or the press oftentimes, the vendor that’s willing to pay the most does. What’s more is the ones paying to play at these ridiculous conferences are doing more harm than good to the dealer community. Remember that woman from DD that thought getting Jordan Belfort to speak was the end all? She was never in a dealership in her life and honestly thought he was a salesman’s salesman. Here’s a guy that lied, cheated, stole, laundered, served time and still hasn’t lived up to his release terms and conditions. Really? That’s what the convention and vendor circuit thinks dealers need? She was also fired shortly thereafter so I can only imagine the backlash. It’s a joke and the more we learn the more we roll our eyes and don’t even bother. As an aside, a really good vendor friend of mine actually told me that last year’s DD in Vegas was more vendors than dealers and the dealers that attended weren’t “dealers” or “decision makers” but rank and file staff. The free lunch, free dinner crowd.

Reactions: craigh