• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Can You Fine a Reviewer?

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
Have you ever seen those signs (in person or not) that promote bad reviews? For example, "Come eat the worst burger some guy on Yelp has ever eaten."

What if the burger reviewer got sued, paid a fine and had to change the text of his review? "Come eat the kind of disappointing burger that I may order again some day when I'm real hungry and in the neighborhood."

While this recent article I found in Forbes uses an example in Europe - it's still relevant.

What do you think about an influential blogger being sued for writing a negative review about a business?

The blog post was removed, so I have no idea what it said. Still, it would depend on the facts. Was it stated accurately, and not embellished? If it was just the facts, then I believe that it is wrong that the blogger was sued, and had to remove the post. If it was not factual, and it is written as if it were being truthful, then it should be removed.

I think the article nails it when it states that they don't really think the Judge was technologically savvy enough to actually understand what was going on and what the actual sentence was. It's not the reviewers fault that they rank higher than the restaurant, it's the restaurants own fault for not owning page 1. Unless the reviewer blatantly lies, the review should stay. I really think it just came down to the Judge understanding Google, SEO and ranks.

If I remember the article correctly, the restaurant serviced rare meats and was in the middle of nowhere.
There were some obvious questions like what if the competition tries to defame your business using bloggers, do you think it is then fair to sue them because they are technically profiting from defaming your business.

In the states, I would say it would be a valid review if there was an actual business relationship between the blogger and the dealership.

Like a car being purchased or serviced and the blogger reviewing their experience.

If you are just badmouthing because you are pissed, that could just a defamation suit ;)