• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM Dealers - Share your thoughts on the new CDK Website

Here is an FYI if you are using someone to send your inventory to the new CDK sites and all of a sudden your units are not there or some are missing, call CDK. There is an issue where the feeds just stop working, I have been called several times thinking it was on our end but it was on CDK's

One other FYI - we recently discovered that ALL of our custom SEO Page Titles and Meta Descriptions were lost during the transition to the Next Gen websites. This affected every page sitewide - Homepage, SRP, Contact Us, etc.

Why did CDK / GM feel the need to do this?

Last edited:
Why did CDK / GM feel the need to do this?

In software development, that's not the question that would have been asked.
More than likely, nobody thought about it at all.

If they did, the discussion would have been "It's going to take X hours to write an importer to migrate the metatags - is it worth it?"
Lack of action doesn't mean they intentionally removed them.

In software development, that's not the question that would have been asked.
More than likely, nobody thought about it at all.

If they did, the discussion would have been "It's going to take X hours to write an importer to migrate the metatags - is it worth it?"
Lack of action doesn't mean they intentionally removed them.
Yeah to be fair it probably helped more dealers than it hurt. A small percentage of their dealers actually utilized best practices on formulating page titles and meta descriptions, however I'm guessing a large percentage had very poor ones. Again another example of leveling the playing field, even if it was unintentional :)

However dealerships that were paying thousands of dollars a year for CDK's "Power SEO" package also lost all of their page titles and meta descriptions. Granted not sure how great they were to begin with...

Reactions: craigh
How many of you Chevy dealers were actually called by CDK and were asked what YOU wanted in a website before the UI was deployed? Why wouldn't CDK want to clearly identify the dealers needs, wants and pains? This is the exact issue we're having with our CDK CRM - it's a CRM, but not what we want.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
A pet peeve of mine: Websites designed to be mobile first that perform horribly on the desktop.

One other FYI - we recently discovered that ALL of our custom SEO Page Titles and Meta Descriptions were lost during the transition to the Next Gen websites. This affected every page sitewide - Homepage, SRP, Contact Us, etc.

I'd be livid. People sunk a lot of time and money into this only to have a development team completely disregard it because they deemed it unnecessary. I feel bad for the internet managers forced to use a lousy platform.

We just launched here in our area a couple weeks ago. My first thoughts while I'm sitting in training listening were...

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

The fact that we continue to discuss forced programs in 2017 tells the story of a digitally disconnected OEM.

Why wouldn't GM adopt the Shift Digital model (or hire ShiftD!) and let dealers select among a group of the best companies? While some may think that there are still some flaws in that model it still beats by a mile the current model and it offers a compromise to what the OEM wants (control) and what the dealer needs (choices).

I'll also say that for every person complaining here there is a solution: Stop complaining and fire them, period.