• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's your dealership website bounce rate?

I always run organic vs paid separately.
Often we have paid traffic directing customers directly to a VDP - these have a much higher bounce rate because I'm trying to target someone very specifically and not only can I be wrong, but I can also be right and they have no reason to see any other pages because the ad targeting was that good.

I don't use the metric for anything useful. I've seen it fluctuate with many different strategies but it never correlates to changes in leads, etc.

Reactions: Xeps
@Craig I'm not sure if agree with that... IMO bounce rate is one of the most important factors. Lets say for your direct to VDP ads you can get more clicks for the same spend... by simply excluding locations that are bouncing high. Or I can look at the bounce rate by device... may be me tweaking something on the site for mobile is going to help me retain more traffic. Or segment by screen resolution... or segment by time... you know may be the people coming between 2-6am are bouncing more... adjust my bids down by 20-30% during that time range... I see less bounce during 6-11PM... bump my spend by 20-30% higher. etc.

Reactions: craigh
@Craig I'm not sure if agree with that... IMO bounce rate is one of the most important factors. Lets say for your direct to VDP ads you can get more clicks for the same spend... by simply excluding locations that are bouncing high. Or I can look at the bounce rate by device... may be me tweaking something on the site for mobile is going to help me retain more traffic. Or segment by screen resolution... or segment by time... you know may be the people coming between 2-6am are bouncing more... adjust my bids down by 20-30% during that time range... I see less bounce during 6-11PM... bump my spend by 20-30% higher. etc.

Absolutely agree with that. I guess "anything useful" was too aggressive of a metric.
I should have clarified that I meant as a standalone metric - I always use it as part of a formulaic approach, but making decisions based on only the bounce rate is an oversimplification of the metric.

You hit it bang on though.

Ben,
Most people consider a site wide bounce rate of 30% - 40% acceptable.
That said, with bounce rate (or any metric for that matter) don't make any big changes, decisions or sweeping assumptions by looking at it as a stand alone metric and especially an average of the entire website.

First:
So, theoretically, if event tracking is set up and is set-up to measure "click to call" this would prevent a bounce. This is assuming the visitor clicked the click to call icon/button. Even if a user visited one page on mobile and spent 5 seconds on the website this action would prevent a bounce.

As Joe mentions, bounce rate can be "gamed". Be wary of using any metric as a KPI if it can be manipulated so easily...and it can.

Second:
Like @craigh and @umer.autojini mentioned,
Look at the source of the traffic and look at the landing page. Try to understand what the user wants and how they could potentially interact with the page. Sometime a high bounce is totally acceptable (i.e. Land on the home page, makes a call, leaves). Other times, it's not. There is no absolute.

Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: Chris Fruchey
Not a dealership site, but my segment, according to Alexa.com on 12/29/17
DSO8AL4XUAAOif7.jpg