• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How do I get current, real time dealer datafeeds?

NewAutos4Less.com

Green Pea
Mar 12, 2024
First Name
Jeff
Or more broadly, how does DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialities, DataOneSoftware, etc get real time datafeeds of current auto dealer inventory?

And can anybody here enlighten me as to the differences between the aforementioned websites? For it seems like they all nearly do the same thing.

Are popular auto retail websites like AutoTrader, CarGurus, Cars, CarEdge, etc reliant on DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialitiies, DataOneSoftware, etc for datafeeds? If not, how did they get dealer datafeeds without them?

Most important, how do I circumnavigate DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialitiies, DataOneSoftbware and do this myself for free?

Can a datafeed from DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialitiies, DataOneSoftware, etc be converted to Google Sheets and vice versa?

Or more broadly, how does DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialities, DataOneSoftware, etc get real time datafeeds of current auto dealer inventory?

And can anybody here enlighten me as to the differences between the aforementioned websites? For it seems like they all nearly do the same thing.

Are popular auto retail websites like AutoTrader, CarGurus, Cars, CarEdge, etc reliant on DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialitiies, DataOneSoftware, etc for datafeeds? If not, how did they get dealer datafeeds without them?

Most important, how do I circumnavigate DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialitiies, DataOneSoftbware and do this myself for free?

Can a datafeed from DataFeedWatch, DealerSpecialitiies, DataOneSoftware, etc be converted to Google Sheets and vice versa?
All of the auto dealer inventory feeds are pretty "incestual" in a sense. I may be wrong, but I don't believe any specific feed provider is going to have ALL of the inventory as you will see in their sites they each have a subset of dealers they work with so majority of 3rd party listing sites are working with multiple datafeed providers in order to maximize inventory coverage based on the retail dealers on with them.

Tough to really do on your own for free given the size of the retail dealer market. Hypothetically you could use a scraping tool of sorts to compile inventory at scale but you will most likely run into a handful of issues there such as stale datafeeds, etc.

I also should have asked what are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking to list on a site as a 3rd party listing site? Or are you just looking to compile all of the data for another purpose?
Thank you so much, Alex, for responding. And I know exactly what I want to accomplish. I want to build a website where new car dealers (those dealers willing to discount their inventory up front, in accordance with MAP, without need to negotiate and offer dead nuts wholesale for trade-ins - i.e. a wholesale to wholesale business model) place their inventory on my website. For a majority of new car buyers are just that, new car buyers. And a majority of new car buyers also know in advance what make and model they're going to buy before purchasing it. And a majority of new car buyers are sick and tired of the game, and would like a bullshit-free way to purchase a new car. I want to democratize car buying with real transparency and make it so simple you can buy a new car in your pajamas. It can be a win win. Dealers will still be able to keep the front end in the black, and still continue to profit on the back end, too. But the new car buyer will get a better than normal deal without getting their eyes plucked out and brain damage. I also don't want to do a scammish, convoluted, bull shit paywall like CarEdge, either!

Now why new cars and not all cars you may ask? My thinking is new car dealers are almost always 'in' a pre-owned car better than dealers like Carvana or CarMax, who get into slugging matches buying clean late model cars at auctions (i.e. new car dealers don't have any problem selling used cars). And, too, when the economy goes to shit the government will quickly prop up the sale (and manufacture) of new cars to the detriment of pre-owned cars with one gimmick or another (i.e. cash for clunkers, etc.).

The reality is I need technical capabilities I presently don't have, but that are available, to accomplish my vision. And real time data feeds are crucial to the model I want to build that can work seemlessly with a dealers walk-in traffic, and not compete with it or detract from it. There's many pieces to the puzzle to make my model work, some of which I can build and others I will buy (i.e. DocuSign, Ontraport, etc.). But my most pressing need right now is to create a webpage theme with design elements that corrolate to attributes from an uploaded data feed - like how Google and Bing Shopping works via simple FTP upload. SpreadSimple offers a solution but it is only compatible with Google Sheets - but I'm not so certain this is the best option or even compatible with a dealers existing data feed. My current website software is wordpress with divi theme, but it seemingly won't work with data feeds. And until such time I get this connundrum figured out (Elementor PRO, maybe?, or could I make WooCommerce work?) and thoroughly researched, I'm at an impasse that may take me many months to finally resolve.

In short, I have a lofty but doable vision with an unambiguous URL (i.e. unlike Carvana, CarEdge, CarGurus, etc., consumers don't have to think too much about what we do or they can accomplish) and that is priceless for both search query or app building.

To close, I know Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'm in this for the long haul, but if you, Alex, have a bright idea I might be overlooking or unaware of, then please by all means share it with me!

Last edited:
Understood! Love the idea of upfront pricing w/o the paywall. Given the nature of the discounting will be based on dealers that are willing to participate that may also be a good place to start. Focusing on a specific region for onboarding dealers may be helpful with inventory coverage so that search queries are more likely to return a specific year/make/model VINs. Its somewhat of a chicken and the egg scenario unfortunately because you need the inventory to draw in the consumers + you need the consumers to draw in the dealers.

The technical aspect of building out the flow you are looking for is a bit out of my wheelhouse so maybe someone else will chime in with some advice.

I spent some time working for a 3rd party marketplace so am more so familiar with the inventory feed aspect. I have seen others spin up similar models that had success with onboarding dealers for free (say 2-3 months) then turned it into a pay-per-lead/pay-per-click/pay-per-sale model once the traffic ramped up and traffic quality was proven. I will keep thinking on it and will chime back in on here if anything comes to mind that may help speed up your launch process.

Alex, you're dialogue is invaluable! And yes, finding dealers out there who will discount upwards of 10% off msrp from the get go is not easy but there are some who still do - small rural dealers. Prior to COVID (or the plandemic as I call it) practically no one ever paid msrp, but sadly, greed and hubris has taken over the industry to the consumers chagrin. If the explosive of recent repro's is any indicator - this needs to change!

And yes, to lure dealer participation, I might have to offer free onboarding until such time I prove the concept and workout the kinks. But if Carvana can sell half a million pre-owned cars (that they overpaid for at auction and shipped them to a reconditioning center before sale) and AutoTrader can litter their homepage with paid ads from manufacturers, Insurance companies, and the like, I think my simple bandwidth model dedicated to new cars is more than achievable. I just got to build it (albeit with my limited CSS skills), or better, buy the pieces to the puzzle.

So, if you, or anyone else (come on!), has any new bright ideas to share - please do so!

p.s. dont boil the ocean, pick a city and see if the model works there.

Or just take a look at TrueCar's stock price:

1711482174876.png

But to answer your question regarding feeds:

You would need to reach out to the dealer's inventory syndicator (Homenet for example) and ask them to send you a feed (usually a CSV data dump on your SFTP server). The dealership would have to approve the request.