• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarGurus wants in your DMS...

lander06

Green Pea
Feb 26, 2012
Awards
First Name
Luke
Has anybody read the new Dealer Agreement with CarGurus? Due to the recent price increase, CarGurus sent us a new Dealer Agreement to sign. I noticed that under the "Sales Data" - "the dealer shall provide CarGurus with access to Dealer's sales data through Dealer's DMS. Dealer hereby grants to CarGurus a royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, perpetual license to use sales data (to the extent available) obtained from Dealer's DMS, on the condition that the sales data is only used for the following purposes: (i) consumer, vehicle and industry research and reference..........." Does anybody else see a problem with this??

They're just hunting for more understanding of attribution. As we all know that's the white whale for lead providers . The more sales they can quantify the more money that they can monetize at. ( It works the same at the company I work for).

IMO the most important thing isn't the what but the how. Give them a shout to see what data fields they want, how they are accessing your DMS, what they do with the data, and how long they keep it. If the answer turns your stomach walk away.

They never stated what data they were looking for and I didn't ask. I simply made my case that I did not want them in my DMS - period. We push our inventory to them with vAuto, so in my opinion, they need no other data. Evidently, after my original post here, the issue got elevated, and they modified the language so that it was acceptable to our store.

Reactions: WillMcG32
They never stated what data they were looking for and I didn't ask. I simply made my case that I did not want them in my DMS - period. We push our inventory to them with vAuto, so in my opinion, they need no other data. Evidently, after my original post here, the issue got elevated, and they modified the language so that it was acceptable to our store.

Shame, was very curious as to what they were after.