• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Current state of the wholesale market and where do you see it headed?

Jon Singo

Hat Trick
Jun 9, 2023
Awards
First Name
Jonathan
Having been in the wholesale/purchasing side of the business since 2009 I've only known 'unstable markets'. Cash for clunkers changed the game, the recession changed the game, fleet lane reduction changed the game, Carmax/Carvana/Drivetime changed the game, and now covid production issues/lease shelf/rates have changed the game again.

But this time it feels different, very different.

Since early July wholesale prices have been on fire in way I've never seen going into your 'typical' depreciation cycle. MMR is ≥ retail on just about anything late model, anything under $25k will bring thousands over retail books - no matter the condition. Supply is abysmal and only undesirable vehicles or ones with issues are making it to auctions. Auction fees, quality, and support are also becoming a major issue. Retail prices/books aren't rising nearly fast enough to compensate for wholesale demand though I suspect they are due for a massive correction.

I would consider my team and I some of the better organized and talented groups in procurement with decades of experience between us and we're all kind of at a loss. There simply aren't enough vehicles to satisfy every dealer trying to buy them, and buying from the public in my market is prohibitively competitive. Lease turn-ins aren't coming back and we're left with a flaming crater where millions of used cars should be. Being 100% trade reliant isn't realistic when you're selling entry-level vehicles as these trades are generally at the end of their lifecycle.

So my question to everyone is where do you see this going? If rates get lowered this is only going to get worse. If used keeps appreciating how many consumers will finally bite the bullet and turn to new? Is a pivot to creative financing options (lease to own, bhph) a way to recoup margin compression?

Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I suspect that prices on decent inventory under $20k will remain strong in the foreseeable future. The problem is that new entry level cars start at $25k. The gap between under $20k used and new starting at $25 and up is big enough that both markets should remain strong. I don't even bother sourcing from private party unless they stop in without other offers. There are still decent cars at fair prices at the auctions, you just have to source from every possible platform and focus on online instead of inlane (ove, dealerblock, acv, openlane, eblock, etc)

I suspect that prices on decent inventory under $20k will remain strong in the foreseeable future. The problem is that new entry level cars start at $25k. The gap between under $20k used and new starting at $25 and up is big enough that both markets should remain strong. I don't even bother sourcing from private party unless they stop in without other offers. There are still decent cars at fair prices at the auctions, you just have to source from every possible platform and focus on online instead of inlane (ove, dealerblock, acv, openlane, eblock, etc)
I'm with you on the under $20k inventory staying strong. If today's sales were any indication, they're going to start pushing closer to $25k cars. My concern is supply and if rate cuts happen it's only going to get more competitive, as there are no new affordable alternatives. Not enough cake to go around.

We source from every platform you can imagine and I'm always looking for new ones to explore, all online, with a big footprint. Didn't see any decent cars today at fair prices :rofl: